PDA

View Full Version : Gore-Tex in Trail Runners?

ScottP
12-19-2005, 05:42
Gore-Tex trail runners or cloth ones that let the feet get wet?

khaynie
12-19-2005, 09:25
I started out from Katahdin with Gore-Tex trail runners, but quickly switched to cloth ones in Gorham, NH - approx 300 miles in. No matter how hard I tried to keep my feet dry, nothing every seemed to work. Since "cloth shoes" are generally cheaper, and certainly quicker to dry if they get wet, I stayed with them all the way to GA. My wife switched to "cloth shoes" in Harpers Ferry, WV. However, we both payed the price for not having Gore Tex shoes when we got pounded in the Smokies with snow in late October of this year. Our feet FROZE when the snow started melting and drenching our poor feet... In my opinion, its personal preference until the temp drops below 32 F. At that point, switch to gore-tex and gaitors. That's my 2 cents, hope it helped.
P.S. If your curious, you can check out our adventure at www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith (http://www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith)

Ender
12-19-2005, 12:55
Gore-Tex trail runners or cloth ones that let the feet get wet?

I'm a huge fan of waterproof shoes. I used Vasque Sundowners on the AT and loved them, because I never had to really think about them. I used non-Gore-Tex shoes on the PCT and never really liked them. The reason is that I had to go out of my way to avoid even the smallest puddle or else hike with wet feet, even on bright sunny days. Even mud was a hassle. Next time I'm getting either Gore-Tex lined fabric boots, or full grain leather boots (with or without Gortex depending on the time of year). Just too annoying to have to always be looking at my feet when I'd rather be looking around at the scenery.

A-Train
12-19-2005, 18:03
I strongly recommend mesh trail shoes without goretex. I've tried both. The goretex simply doesn't work and you're spending a lot more for it. Water WILL find a way in the shoes from the laces, or the top of the shoes. You'll cross wet, muddy sections, or get rained on hard and get wet. When shoes do get wet (they will) the mesh ones dry overnight while the GT take a much longer time to do so.

The Will
12-19-2005, 20:08
With shoes being cut so low, there is ample opportunity for water to find a way over the top, so in my opinion a water proof shoe is of little value. I do hike in running shoes and when I'm in a region or season that dictates it, I carry gore-tex socks. I really appreciate having them, especially when the weather is colder.

ty

Skidsteer
12-19-2005, 21:12
I hike in Hi-tec v-lites with gore-tex. I love them except for the gore-tex. It's like walking with 2 bags of water strapped to your feet if you don't keep water out of the tops. Next pair I buy will be sans gore-tex. On the other hand, I love the gore-tex in my work boots(also Hi-tec) because if they get wet on the inside, I can dry them out in a nice warm house, no problem. It's a situational thing, you see. I like the suggestion about gore-tex socks, though. Might have to give that one a try.

Whistler
12-19-2005, 22:24
I'd be more concerned with keeping your feet dry than your shoes. Gore-Tex or neoprene socks are worth looking into if you'll be in cold, nasty conditions. Otherwise, light, breathable, synthetic materials are the way to go.
-Mark

Kerosene
12-19-2005, 23:15
I've used Gore-tex boots for awhile now, but I would steer long-distance hikers away from them. They do take forever to dry. That said, mesh shoes get wet at the drop of a hat, and nothing dries overnight if it's humid. I'll be going back to boot fabrics that I can apply waterproofing to, using gaitors for the few times when I'm walking through wet underbrush.

Tinker
12-19-2005, 23:31
I only use G-tex boots on wet overnight or weekend hikes. I can't see the sense of any waterproof (breathable or not) treatment on low shoes. The smallest puddle will find its way over the top, and your feet will stay wet forever! Fabric shoes dry much more quickly if they don't have a membrane laminated to them.

The slowest drying footwear I ever owned were my Limmers (made in 1991). Leather inside and out with open cell foam in between. I'd much rather have synthetic fabric liners in my boots and shoes.

Tinker
12-19-2005, 23:34
I only use G-tex boots on wet overnight or weekend hikes. I can't see the sense of any waterproof (breathable or not) treatment on low shoes. The smallest puddle will find its way over the top, and your feet will stay wet forever! Fabric shoes dry much more quickly if they don't have a membrane laminated to them.

The slowest drying footwear I ever owned were my Limmers (made in 1991). Leather inside and out with open cell foam in between. I'd much rather have synthetic fabric liners in my boots and shoes. I got athlete's foot on almost every hike with them (but once broken in, I called them "My five pound slippers"....................