PDA

View Full Version : Is it too last minute?

jj dont play
02-19-2016, 00:07
New here.
Always had a fascination with the AT, read a few books, have a huge map that take up about half a wall posted.. etc and always played with the idea of thru hiking it one day, but I never actually put the planning in motion.
Recently have a window where if I was going to do it, there is no better time than now.

Do I realistically have enough time plan it out to start Early to mid April?
I'm one of those people that likes to plan out every little detail of a trip, I know the trip never happens as planned but I at least like to think I'm prepared for whatever happens. I feel like I wouldn't have enough time to plan out every little detail but if I could at least get some pointers on the things I absolutely must plan ahead then it could be possible.

Other option is to just do a 1-2 week trip this year as a test run and hope the opportunity comes along again in the future.

Thanks for the input ahead of time folks!

JaketheFake
02-19-2016, 00:13
Go for it. What's the worse thing that could happen?

Feral Bill
02-19-2016, 00:16
You have 8 weeks. Unless you're a total novice that should be plenty.

evyck da fleet
02-19-2016, 00:20
The AT is a series of 1-2 week hikes. Or three to four day hikes between resupply. All you have to do is plan for the first resupply. Now if you want to make things easier then spent the next few weekends testing (or buying) your gear on day or weekend hikes, depending on your schedule, before you hit the trail. Two months is more than enough time. Some people can do a couch to thru hike but they just make it a little more difficult at first.

MuddyWaters
02-19-2016, 00:46
experienced hikers who have their gear could depart at drop of hat

You dont need much.planning. just gear, guide, maybe maps, and a little overall knowledge.

Mtsman
02-19-2016, 05:55
all you really need to have gear wise is clothing for warmth and a good shelter in case of storms. the weather is the only true threat, you can learn the rest on the way. too much water on the trail, and too many towns for food to be true threats. just don't get lost :)

NewHeart
02-19-2016, 07:05
New here.
Always had a fascination with the AT, read a few books, have a huge map that take up about half a wall posted.. etc and always played with the idea of thru hiking it one day, but I never actually put the planning in motion.
Recently have a window where if I was going to do it, there is no better time than now.

Do I realistically have enough time plan it out to start Early to mid April?
I'm one of those people that likes to plan out every little detail of a trip, I know the trip never happens as planned but I at least like to think I'm prepared for whatever happens. I feel like I wouldn't have enough time to plan out every little detail but if I could at least get some pointers on the things I absolutely must plan ahead then it could be possible.

Other option is to just do a 1-2 week trip this year as a test run and hope the opportunity comes along again in the future.

Thanks for the input ahead of time folks!I start thinking about this adventure around Thanksgiving. I didn't really do anything about it until mid January, that's when I started gathering my gear a lot of which I've made myself. I'm planning to leave Springer in late April. If you want you can hike along with me. PM me.

hubcap
02-19-2016, 07:56
I could depart with 2 hours notice - quick run to the store, pack.... GO! Dang..... I really could depart with 2 hours notice.... interesting thought.....

bigcranky
02-19-2016, 08:05
Do you already have some backpacking experience? All your gear? Then this is an easy "yes". I'd lean toward leaving in mid-April, both to cut down on the crowds a little, and to minimize the cold weather gear you'd need for an earlier start. (You'll still need some warm clothing.)

If this would be a totally new experience, and you need to buy all new gear, then my answer is a more qualified "maybe". :) There are plenty of successful thru-hikers who had their first-ever night in the backcountry on top of Springer on the first day of their thru. But having eight weeks to figure out what gear you need, buy it all, test it, and then start hiking, well, that's not a huge amount of time.

(We met an older man from New Orleans on the trail in Georgia several years ago. He had never backpacked, but he went to the Neels Gap outfitter, right on the trail, they set him up with the proper gear and showed him how to use it, and he completed the trail. The advantage of Neels Gap is they specialize in the kind of gear that long distance hikers need -- most "backpacking" stores do not, especially the further you get from the AT.)

As for planning, well, you already know that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. :) There's a good resupply planning guide on the front page of this site, which will help with the initial planning. You'll need one of the two thru-hiker's guides, either the AT Guide or the Thru-Hiker's Companion - both are good, but since I'm a volunteer editor with the Companion, I'll recommend that. :) The guides have everything you need while on the trail - mileage to water, campsites, shelters, and roads, and also complete town information for getting into town for resupply. After a couple of weeks on the trail, you'll find it pretty easy to plan how many days of food you'll need to the next town, and hit the grocery store then get back on the trail.

Good luck. When my daughter had the opportunity to do something she really wanted to, but it would interrupt her life for a year, my advice was to make a choice that she won't regret in five years, or fifty. Grad school will still be there when she gets back. :)

FatMan
02-19-2016, 08:19
I've said it before and I'll say it again...plans are for city folk. Once you have your gear about the only plans you need to make are how you are getting to the trail. After that...just do it.

But that does not mean that you should not spend all of your 8 weeks educating yourself on long distance hiking, including doing a shakedown hike. Knowledge / experience and planning are different things.

NewHeart
02-19-2016, 09:15
Cranky, I want to say thank you for all the help and advice that you have given me over the last few months. It has helped me get ready for my hike with a fair amount of ease.

saltysack
02-19-2016, 09:44
GO!!!!!! Damn I'm jealous! I dream about the day when I can hit the trail for a few months with NO SCHEDULE or plans....just hike..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Otter Boy
02-19-2016, 10:40
The question is: do you have the financial resources available to support yourself for 4-6 months without working?

soumodeler
02-19-2016, 10:58
Go for it. You may never get another chance.

If you have your gear lined up, grab and AWOL guide and enough food to get to Neel Gap. That is all the planning that is needed. You will figure it out on trail from there.

Puddlefish
02-19-2016, 11:13
The only concern I'd have is being careful if you order equipment online. You might not have enough time for the shipping, if it's coming from China, or certain cottage industries. Just pay attention to time frames.

jj dont play
02-19-2016, 13:29
Thanks for all of the great input so far!
I would put myself as a novice when it comes to backpacking/ hiking.
I have always been an endurance athlete with the exception of the past 2 years due to working a ton, but I know I have a decent base as far as conditioning and an understanding of pacing your self and listening to your body. The trail would be completely different then my running but I feel that the lessons I have learned will be transferable.
I camp and hunt public lands a lot. No where near the same thing but again like the running I feel some of the lessons learned will be valuable.
Finances for the trip are secured. Contractor in a field that is slow, current work is more stressful then it needs to be and unstable. Could go years or could end any day, neither would surprise me. Taking time off to do the AT would be a great break and the 6-7 months would probably be around the right time for things to pick back up, giving me more options upon my return. So basically instead of stretching out stressful work I could take a break, do the AT and ideally return to a better market and more options.
Well I do like to plan ahead I am more of a learn by doing type and pretty much always through the plans out the window. It's just nice to have the false peace of mind that you are prepared ;)
Would need to get the bulk of the gear. I appreciate the tip of going to a store near the trail rather than just any backpacking store!

Mags
02-19-2016, 13:47
You have 8 weeks. Unless you're a total novice that should be plenty.

Indeed. Download the guthook app, get the appropriate guidebook and buy five days of food.

You say you are a novice backpacker, should be time to get in a few weekend trips to test out your gear set up as well.

Should be good to go.

Some Quick and Dirty info to help a bit perhaps:
http://www.pmags.com/a-quick-and-dirty-guide-to-the-appalachian-trail

saltysack
02-19-2016, 14:58
Do you already have some backpacking experience? All your gear? Then this is an easy "yes". I'd lean toward leaving in mid-April, both to cut down on the crowds a little, and to minimize the cold weather gear you'd need for an earlier start. (You'll still need some warm clothing.)

If this would be a totally new experience, and you need to buy all new gear, then my answer is a more qualified "maybe". :) There are plenty of successful thru-hikers who had their first-ever night in the backcountry on top of Springer on the first day of their thru. But having eight weeks to figure out what gear you need, buy it all, test it, and then start hiking, well, that's not a huge amount of time.

(We met an older man from New Orleans on the trail in Georgia several years ago. He had never backpacked, but he went to the Neels Gap outfitter, right on the trail, they set him up with the proper gear and showed him how to use it, and he completed the trail. The advantage of Neels Gap is they specialize in the kind of gear that long distance hikers need -- most "backpacking" stores do not, especially the further you get from the AT.)

As for planning, well, you already know that no plan survives first contact with the enemy. :) There's a good resupply planning guide on the front page of this site, which will help with the initial planning. You'll need one of the two thru-hiker's guides, either the AT Guide or the Thru-Hiker's Companion - both are good, but since I'm a volunteer editor with the Companion, I'll recommend that. :) The guides have everything you need while on the trail - mileage to water, campsites, shelters, and roads, and also complete town information for getting into town for resupply. After a couple of weeks on the trail, you'll find it pretty easy to plan how many days of food you'll need to the next town, and hit the grocery store then get back on the trail.

Good luck. When my daughter had the opportunity to do something she really wanted to, but it would interrupt her life for a year, my advice was to make a choice that she won't regret in five years, or fifty. Grad school will still be there when she gets back. :)

+1...get gear and advice from backpackers not car campers at big box stores!!!

Slo-go'en
02-19-2016, 15:01
Show up at Mountain Crossings at Neel gap with a wad of cash, tell them to "fix you up" and be on your way.

soumodeler
02-19-2016, 15:02
Show up at Mountain Crossings at Neel gap with a wad of cash, tell them to "fix you up" and be on your way.

If you have the cash, you really cant go wrong here.

CarlZ993
02-19-2016, 18:01
If you've got the gear already & have had some backpacking experience, you need very little time to plan out an AT thru-hike. Make sure your cold/wet weather gear is dialed in at the start (especially if you start before Apr).

When I planned my hike in 2013, I about drove my wife nuts with my planning. I planned out my entire hike on a spreadsheet - starting on 3/21 and finishing on 8/19 (152 days). I had all my resupplies planned out (mail drops). I even had my first two Zero days planned (Hot Springs & Damascas). I stayed basically on schedule up until Damascas. Then, I got ahead of schedule. I'd take a Zero day when I felt like it. I thought I was going to finish ahead of schedule. But, NH & ME slowed me down more than I anticipated. Long story short, I finished up on my scheduled day - 8/19.

You're young. Go for it. It's easier (& probably more fun) to hike it when you're young. It was harder than I anticipated when I did it at age 58.

Fredt4
02-20-2016, 18:47
My planning can take weeks or months, but in the end it takes just a couple of hours to gather my gear to go. Happy hiking.

Turk6177
02-20-2016, 19:36
Go for it. You will probably be quite efficient with your gear after 3 weeks, including dumping a few items and maybe adding some that you have seen others use on the trail. The AT thru hike is just a bunch of multiple section hikes all joined together. I would start with buying AWOL's guide book and go from there.

Hangfire
02-20-2016, 21:52
You have plenty of time, I thru hiked in 2014 and at this time that year I had just ordered my backpack and nothing else. The great thing about last second adventures is you don't leave yourself enough time to stress out about every little detail. As long as you have the basics you can just adapt as you go, my claim to fame is starting the trail without a tent as I somehow left it at home...it just adds to the adventure!

Theosus
02-21-2016, 12:46
New here.

If you have that window - take it. You may never get another chance. Jobs, Marriages, Mortgages, aging relatives, all that crap holds you back from it.

There was a guy as part of the National Geographic AT documentary whose trail name was "Last Minute". He intended to only hike from the approach trail to Neel gap, and just kept going. If you have the gear, there's nothing stopping you. If you aren't in the best shape when you start, you will be after a few weeks into it. Some people plan for a year and have boxes of stuff that meet them at post offices. Others just hit whatever grocery store they find in town. If you're used to hiking four or five days at a stretch, you should be fine.

4runner
02-22-2016, 18:09
Do it!

Earn ur runs in the early innings, u never know.......

jj dont play
03-03-2016, 03:49
Well folks, just an update...
It's happening
Put in my notice w/ work this am. Went about as good as it could have.
Need to pin down a start date and figure out transportation to start, and get on acquiring everything.
I'm a planner so I think this will be a good thing for me to learn to "wing it" for once and not stress about all the details.Have AWOL's guide and good advice on gear at a local backpacking store with owners who have thru hiked the AT, from there it'll just be all mental and hoping I can tap back into my endurance I had a few years back as a college cross country runner haha

bigcranky
03-03-2016, 08:29
Good for you. Take it easy on the trail the first couple of weeks -- if at the end of the day you think you could've hiked another few miles, that's good. Glad you have gear advice from thru-hikers, even better that they are local.

Have a great hike!

Auto Draft
03-04-2016, 11:49
I planned mine in about 6 weeks last year after finding out I'd have the window to do it and started April 1.

Get a shuttle or night at the Hiker Hostel soon as those will fill up. You can get a better start date once you know the availability for those. Next priority is any gear you need to order online. You'll probably make a few trips to an outfitter in the next few weeks. Mental preparation can include reading things online and watching YouTube videos, and 6-8 weeks is more than enough time for that.

dudeijuststarted
03-04-2016, 12:15
Its not nearly as complicated as it seems. You can get everything you need in Georgia, learn everything you need to learn in Georgia. At the end of the day, its just walking with a backpack.

Hangfire
03-04-2016, 14:02
One thing to consider, if you are just getting acquainted with using a camp stove or cooking for the matter make it easy on yourself and start out with simple foods. If you have the money, splurge and buy some mountain house or other name brand freeze dried foods to get you going. There is no greater piece of mind to know that all you have to do is boil some water and dump it into a pack and you have a really good meal ready to go. Those first few weeks can be a little stressful but you will soon realize that most everyone (well prepared or not) is in the same boat as you.

PS The cross country thing is a big plus, you know how to move forward when it hurts:-)

CamelMan
03-04-2016, 16:13
Don't be like me. It eats me from the inside... So Go! It's really easy except for the uphills, but you'll get used to those.

jj dont play
08-13-2016, 07:29
I did it. GAME 4/18/16-8/12/16
Thanks to all who encouraged me to go for it! I'm pretty much in shock right now haha hard to believe it's over, what an adventure!

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2016, 07:47
Thanks to all who encouraged me to go for it! I'm pretty much in shock right now haha hard to believe it's over, what an adventure!

Awesome! Congratulations!

glenlawson
08-13-2016, 09:01
Fantastic Story! So happy to hear you made it, and made it all the way. Congratulations!

Dan Roper
08-13-2016, 11:36
Congratulations!

Now tell us all about it, in great detail! (or, give us a link if you kept a trailjournals.com journal).

jj dont play
08-13-2016, 12:37
Congratulations!

Now tell us all about it, in great detail! (or, give us a link if you kept a trailjournals.com journal).

www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay/
It is only updated up to Great Barrington Mass. I will do a mass update of the remainder of the hike when I get home, it won't be daily like the previous entries though I will just hit the high points and interesting moments. Got a little behind (hate posting on my phone on there and didn't have computer access for a while) so decided to just do the big update. Also plan to do a blog with gear reviews and experience with hostels, dining, etc. just something to help me relive the trail and potential help future thru hikers.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 14:30
Glad you decided to listen to everyone and go for it!!!....congratulations!!!

Dan Roper
08-13-2016, 17:00
Thanks for the link, jj. I've started reading and will read it all the way through.

Dan Roper
08-13-2016, 17:07
jj, I have a quick question for you. On about day four (between Low Gap and Tray Mountain), you mention wearing a rain kilt that helped keep you comfortable while hiking in the rain. What's a rain kilt and where did you get it (or how did you make it)?

jj dont play
08-13-2016, 17:48
jj, I have a quick question for you. On about day four (between Low Gap and Tray Mountain), you mention wearing a rain kilt that helped keep you comfortable while hiking in the rain. What's a rain kilt and where did you get it (or how did you make it)?

Just a skirt that offers rain protection. ZPacks, Lightheart, and a few other companies make them. I made one with 2mil poly and Velcro. It was nice but I ditched it and just used quick drying running shorts. There's also instructions on here somewhere to make one out of Tyvek. Actually ended up not using rain gear at all unless it was cold, but it's definitely a better option then rain pants due to ventilation.

GlitterHiker
08-13-2016, 18:01
Wow - so cool to read that you did it!! Very inspiring.

saltysack
08-13-2016, 18:44

ULA,light heart gear, Zpacks etc all sell them

MuddyWaters
08-13-2016, 21:47

Many a hiker simply wraps folded groundsheet around waist and tucks in to make skirt.

Or driduck pants work. Cut off at knees. Split legs up inseams . tape front and back to make skirt.

MtDoraDave
08-14-2016, 20:46
Congratulations!

scrabbler
08-14-2016, 21:10
"jj dont play" ... what an appropriate user name! Congrats!!

-Rush-
08-15-2016, 21:23
Congrats man! You made great time, so you should definitely plan on the PCT at some point.

Secondmouse
08-16-2016, 00:37

Outstanding! congratulations...

jj dont play
08-16-2016, 08:19
Congrats man! You made great time, so you should definitely plan on the PCT at some point.

Hoping to make it happen in the next 3-5 years, maybe sooner.

dig4dirt
08-21-2016, 23:35
Total congrats to you!

You must feel so relieved and happy that you got to start it AND finish it !

jj dont play
09-24-2016, 17:08
Finally finished updating journal.
Check it out here: www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay/ (http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay/)
Will eventually get to doing a blog. Info is on last journal post.

Again thank ya'll for the support. The positive feedback on here helped me to make the decision to go for it and not only was I successful but it was one of the best decisions I have made!