PDA

View Full Version : Best camera for a thru-hike that isn't a phone camera

DSettahr
02-19-2016, 00:47
What cameras are people using for their thru-hike? I knot that a lot of people these days are just using their smart-phones, but I'd like to carry something that takes better quality pictures than my phone does (and I'm not about to buy a new phone just to get a better camera).

Ideally, it'd be a camera that can recharge via USB. Also something that is at least a little bit weather resistant.

How is the current generation of waterproof cameras? I tried one back in 2011 but ended up returning it as the photo quality was abysmal. I would have to imagine that they've improved since. Do any of them allow recharging via USB? (The ones I've looked at don't seem to have this option.)

Thanks in advance...

snicklefitz
02-19-2016, 01:19
go pro 4 session. it's tiny, runs he @ 1080p 60 ps, camera 8mp wide lens, mounts on trek poles, or anythi mg else. fully submersible to 30 feet. SIM cards easy to extract data

DSettahr
02-19-2016, 02:17
go pro 4 session. it's tiny, runs he @ 1080p 60 ps, camera 8mp wide lens, mounts on trek poles, or anythi mg else. fully submersible to 30 feet. SIM cards easy to extract data

I'll look into it, thanks. Can you lock the exposure on a Go Pro (for taking panoramic shots)?

Video also really isn't that important to me.

DSettahr
02-19-2016, 02:19
I guess I should've specified that I am also looking for something that gives me a little bit of control over exposure, frame-rate, etc.

Leo L.
02-19-2016, 05:25
I'm familiar only with the Lumix brands, but sure there are lots of other out there.
There are three options that come to mind:

1. Superzoom:
Very long zoom, perfect for shy wildlife.
Reasonable cost and weight, quite bulky dimensiones.
Not waterproof.

2. Travelzoom
Quite long zoom, charges via USB, reasonable cost, low weight, pocket dimensiones.
Be prepared to have to recharge the TZ quite often.
Might meet your needs quite perfect

3. Outdoor
Low zoom, everything else like (2)
Waterproof.

In all cameras above there is not really much you can do in manual settings, in means of artistic photo works. Given the small sensor size, the lens makes a very wide depth-of-field. Also, the max. aperture on most lenses is quite low. Both factors, being physical facts, just limit the possibilities.
On the other hand, the software in all these cameras is very highly developed and most likely will provide you with lots of amazing shots.

I had a Lumix Travelzoom TZ41 once, bought in EU and first thing brought it on a trip to the US.
Rode up Yosemity, stopped at the parking lot, turned right and took a shot of this huge waterfall gushing down in the distance... then, a text travelling over the screen told me "BRIDALVEIL FALL YOSEMITY USA".
Later, I dropped the TZ full-dip in a stream. It survived (had to dry it out for a few days though). It didn't survive a drop-to-the-ground with extended lens weeks later, unfortunately.
Now I'm back to a Superzoom... I like the better ergonomy, longer zoom lens and longer battery life. Just my personal preference.

bigcranky
02-19-2016, 08:24
The "best" depends on how you define it.

The best image quality in a small camera is the Sony RX100 series, there are four of them. They have a much larger sensor than a typical p+s camera, so image quality is also much better. The RX100iv is current, costs about $1000, has a decent fast zoom lens and a useful pop-up viewfinder so one can hold the camera up to the eye to shoot. Earlier models can be had used for much less money, but none are cheap.

Beyond that, pretty much any small camera will outperform a phone. Look for a wide angle zoom lens and optical image stabilization.

GDM
02-19-2016, 08:41
The latest generation of phone cameras is actually closing the gap with the cheap point and shoots.. For example, my LG V10 smartphone has a 1.8 lens, manual controls, shoots RAW, and has a microUSB + removable battery.. Not waterproof, nor small, but dual purpose..

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Uncle Joe
02-19-2016, 08:45
The RX100 series are very good, though pricey unless you drop down to the II. Canon's G7X is nice too but also pricey. A word about the Go Pro. It's an action camera. It's not going to do stills as well and it tends to narrow it's focus. Great for movement and focusing on an object but not a good all-around camera. I use a Sony Action Cam on my hikes but it's like the Hero and I'm primarily recording. I use my phone for stills but I am also looking for a good camera. I'm not sure I'm ready to spend $500+ for it yet.

Busky2
02-19-2016, 09:01
Well I upgraded to an Olympus Tough Series TG-4 that shoots in RAW also, it is waterproof, shockproof to 2.1 meters and handles cold to 14*f it is 16MP and goes from off to focused and shooting in about a second. It has some nice software on board for panoramic shots setup with in cam stitch among other things.

Old Hiker
02-19-2016, 09:12
Glad to see another camera thread. I'm counting down - about a week to go - and I'm still using my Samsung TL 105. Spots on the back screen, but still working.

I'm still wanting another CAMERA - with Amazon Prime, I can get it pretty fast BUT:

I'd like to hear about the button/shutter speed(s) of whatever you are using to date. Too many of the demo cameras in the stores are VERY slow when the button is popped. People walking by are blurry or completely out of the screen by the time the shutter snaps. I

'm pretty much satisfied with ALL the photo qualities I've seen. I'm not a pro photographer, so I'm easily satisfied.

Leo L.
02-19-2016, 09:42
Regarding button/shutter speed, the time from pressing the button to release the shutter isn't that long in newer models, and its written in the tech docs usually. Might typically be several 1/10 seconds or so.
But add to this the time to switch on the cam, let it extend the lens and wait for the autofocus to work, your shy wildlife might be gone.

Puddlefish
02-19-2016, 10:33
Consider things like ease of uploading your image files, and charging. My point and shoot that takes nice pictures, can only be charged by removing the the battery, and putting it in it's own dedicated wall charger. The wifi function is annoyingly complicated to set up and incredibly slow for uploading pics. It also fails miserably at taking selfies, which might be important if you want to record your interactions with friends met along the way.

soumodeler
02-19-2016, 10:53
I use the Olympus TG-3 and really like it. waterproof, great controls for exposure, etc. The new TG-4 is even better according to the reviews. It is supposed to have the best picture of any tough camera.

snicklefitz
02-19-2016, 18:48
It already shoots widescreen, there isn't a zoom though. You can set it up for video, still shot, or time lapse. What I like about is its tiny, durable, and can WiFi to your smart phone for remote control so you can shoot yourself. Plus it's super versatile for mounting, I've got a small mount on my trek pole, and another on my backpack strap.
Gonna be a great journey, Im chomping at the bit to get started!

Venchka
02-19-2016, 21:52
Don't know about best. I doubt there is one best anything for any activity you can think of. I doubt that I will ever thru hike any trail. Although a traverse of the Wind River Range has my interest.
All that said, I can envision taking my M-5 and Dual Range Summicron on backpacking trips.
A darn shame that I couldn't also use Kodachrome on such a trip.
I don't expect anyone to understand that but me.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Slo-go'en
02-19-2016, 22:23
A basic $100 ball park "point and shoot" is all you need. Something reasonably small, light and easy to use.

StubbleJumper
02-20-2016, 18:31
Ideally, it'd be a camera that can recharge via USB. Also something that is at least a little bit weather resistant.

The USB recharging is a nice feature. I am finally to the point where my phone, e-reader and camera all use the same charger. It's quite convenient.

snicklefitz
02-22-2016, 20:39
go pro is a jab charge

snicklefitz
02-22-2016, 20:39
usb, spellcheck!

Moosehead87
02-22-2016, 21:52
I understand Kodachrome!

Moosehead87
02-22-2016, 21:53
Wayne, I understand Kodachrome and feel the same desire!

Venchka
02-22-2016, 22:04
Wayne, I understand Kodachrome and feel the same desire!

Welcome to the club. Teamed with Panatomic-X and Plus-X. Nothing can replace them.
One body. One lens. One emulsion. One developer.
A simple plan.

Wayne

swonut
02-23-2016, 20:18
Regardless of what camera you pick, consider an ultra pod. Awesome when you are alone or want to do some low light long shutter speeds. Much lighter than the gorilla pod.

QiWiz
02-24-2016, 15:45
I like the Olympus weatherproof/shockproof models as I can take pictures in light rain without worry and also not worry if my hipbelt pocket (that the camera is in) gets wet. However, I only bring the camera on special occasions when the scenery really deserves it. I get great landscape pictures and macro pictures with my iPhone in a LifeProof case - the only things the camera is really much better at are low-light pictures and wildlife that needs a zoom lens to bring it in closer.

CamelMan
02-24-2016, 16:43
I understand Kodachrome, too. I loved film photography and took all the photo classes at my college, majoring in it briefly. Our darkrooms were too ghetto to consistently develop large Ilfochromes in hand-rolled drums, but I tried anyway. There's nothing like a real dye-destruction print.

I used to shoot a lot of Provia in my precious Mamiya 7II. The quality of the images that thing produced was amazing.

CamelMan
02-24-2016, 16:44
Oh, yeah, Olympus Tough TG-4 gets my vote.

Another Kevin
02-25-2016, 15:19
I've tended to get whatever Canon compact camera is on closeout. My current is an SX150IS, which was about a hundred bucks when Target had it on "open box" closeout a couple or three years ago. There's always something that they're looking to get rid of, if you have time to wait and watch the sales. I don't know what that might be at present, because I've not had to shop. My current camera is working fine.

It doesn't do USB charging, which is something that you specifically asked for. But it runs on AA batteries, which can be resupplied anywhere (and you an even find lithium ones in a lot of trail towns, for considerably extended battery life and lighter weight). I don't know if any of their current builds still is capable of this. Absolutely everyone's been going to specialized battery packs lately, it seems.

I've put in a bit of work on the lens calibration so that multi-exposure ultra-wide-angle work will stitch together cleanly.
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/746/20801170855_e21e547d27_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/xG8roP)
Tirrell Pond (https://flic.kr/p/xG8roP) by Kevin Kenny (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/), on Flickr

It'll come in nice and close for a macro, and is fast enough to catch a butterfly.
https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2934/14190704867_8821ee29a6_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/nBZ5ai)
Tiger swallowtail, Papilio canadensis (https://flic.kr/p/nBZ5ai) by Kevin Kenny (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/), on Flickr

Its dynamic range isn't horrible, even if it's not outstanding. I actually retook this shot shading the lens with my hat to get rid of the flare, but I really thought the light was more interesting on the flawed shot. (Yes, the trail was that wet.)halation
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3932/15354621560_2607305eb8_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/poQs3u)
Rare glimpse of sunshine (https://flic.kr/p/poQs3u) by Kevin Kenny (https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/), on Flickr

It's a lot lighter than a DSLR, and a lot more capable than a smartphone. It's close to the right tradeoff for what I do. Sometimes I miss the opportunity to mount a filter on the lens - I'd like to be able to use a polarizer (linear or circular, for different effects), a haze or UV filter, and sometimes even a yellow, orange or red (to get higher contrast with good mist penetration for B&W shots). But I'm not willing to lug a DSLR to get it. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Disclaimer: No way am I a thru-hiker. The longest trail I've thru-hiked is the 138-mile Northville-Placid. But I can't see where that affects the choice of camera all that much. 138 miles at my pace is still long enough to need resupply, and maybe even a memory card swap if you do a lot of video.

Casey & Gina
02-25-2016, 17:00
It doesn't do USB charging, which is something that you specifically asked for. But it runs on AA batteries, which can be resupplied anywhere (and you an even find lithium ones in a lot of trail towns, for considerably extended battery life and lighter weight). I don't know if any of their current builds still is capable of this. Absolutely everyone's been going to specialized battery packs lately, it seems.

This (http://amzn.com/B00PZ6V99U) and this (http://amzn.com/B00JHKSN76) fix that USB recharging issue. :)

Another Kevin
02-25-2016, 19:39
I have a 14000-mAh ruggedized battery pack for recharging USB devices. A lot of my hikes are mapping the trails, so I am running GPS almost constantly. (Example: http://waymarkedtrails.org/en/relation/4286650 is my track, and http://www.nptrail.org/?page_id=59 is the narrative that goes with it.) I can go 4-5 days running my smartphone GPS with that pack.

I mostly use expendable batteries in the camera. A set last me long enough that I don't bother messing around with rechargeable ones.

Lyle
02-25-2016, 20:48
I carry either my Nikon D5100 with a couple of lenses and filters, or, if I want lighter, my Ricoh GR - APS-c sensor size, full manual control, shoots RAW.

Heliotrope
02-25-2016, 21:01
Don't know about best. I doubt there is one best anything for any activity you can think of. I doubt that I will ever thru hike any trail. Although a traverse of the Wind River Range has my interest.
All that said, I can envision taking my M-5 and Dual Range Summicron on backpacking trips.
A darn shame that I couldn't also use Kodachrome on such a trip.
I don't expect anyone to understand that but me.

Wayne

"Momma don't take my Kodachrome away!"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Kevin
02-25-2016, 21:50
Kodachrome Professional A, ASA 16 - if you had the glass and the light to do ASA 16 with a reasonable exposure time, it was wonderful. Superb dynamic range, tremendous contrast, beautiful sharpness (far beyond what Ektachrome or Kodacolor could produce)... terrific stuff!

Mostly, back in the day, I shot Eastmancolor 5247 35mm movie film, which I'd buy in 100 foot rolls and load into cassettes. There were a few labs that would process it, either internegative to slides or to prints. It wasn't great, but it was cheap and forgiving.

KDogg
02-28-2016, 06:03
I have the TG-4. It is a really nice camera except for.....over 8 ounces.....and the freaking proprietary cable that you need for charging is 2 ounces!! 10 ounces for a point and shoot and I haven't even added accessories. Not thinking happy thoughts. Haven't completely ruled it out but having a hard time justifying the weight.

Hoofit
02-28-2016, 07:45
Well I upgraded to an Olympus Tough Series TG-4 that shoots in RAW also, it is waterproof, shockproof to 2.1 meters and handles cold to 14*f it is 16MP and goes from off to focused and shooting in about a second. It has some nice software on board for panoramic shots setup with in cam stitch among other things.

I've reviewing so many cameras and this one keeps getting good marks, if you look around, it is going for around 300 dollars, sometimes less, may have to pick one up . I also like that it can take a telephoto lense ....extra weight on the trail but useful back home. And that RAW feature sounds pretty good too..

soumodeler
02-28-2016, 11:13
I have the TG-4. It is a really nice camera except for.....over 8 ounces.....and the freaking proprietary cable that you need for charging is 2 ounces!! 10 ounces for a point and shoot and I haven't even added accessories. Not thinking happy thoughts. Haven't completely ruled it out but having a hard time justifying the weight.

Yeah, the cable really made me mad. I had thought that we were mostly past the days of proprietary cables for each product but Olympus seems to have missed that memo. Still, I love my TG-3, all 8.8 ounces of it. As for accessories, not sure what you would need other than maybe a small tripod? I have stickpic and have used it maybe twice. Always someone around to take the shot during thru hiker season.