PDA

View Full Version : Shelter/Campsite with good water and flat surrounding are

Jeronimo!
02-19-2016, 10:25
Hey everybody ,

I'm looking to do a long term base camp type outing to try out my new system, and would like some recommendations on a good location, preferably between Port Clinton and Wind Gap . I'm from PA and thru hiked last year(therefore ripped out all my awol pages) but cant remember all the shelters/campsites and their respective water sources. Basically what I'm looking to do is to park , hike in (10 miles max) to a spot then walk off the beaten path a little and set up a base camp where i would stay for 5 days max . My main thing is i need access to water and decently flat terrain, two things that are hard to find in PA. All suggestions welcome and thanks in advance

hubcap
02-19-2016, 10:52
There was a great site a few miles North of the 501 shelter. It's by the next shelter up, whose name I forgot. The campsites near there are right by a beautiful stream. Easy parking at the 501 shelter access, short couplea' miles to this locale....

Brewguy
02-19-2016, 11:03
Michaux state forest would be perfect for you. Plenty of places to park and you can camp anywhere you like. Lots of small streams. About a mile or so up woodrow rd on the left is a parking spot/fire road, there is also an official camp site in there. Go past the campsite there is a creek and places to camp. Really nice spot.

Jeronimo!
02-19-2016, 11:25
Thanks I'll check it out !

ddanko2
02-19-2016, 11:27
Michaux state forest would be perfect for you. Plenty of places to park and you can camp anywhere you like. Lots of small streams. About a mile or so up woodrow rd on the left is a parking spot/fire road, there is also an official camp site in there. Go past the campsite there is a creek and places to camp. Really nice spot.

I agree; sounds like an outing on the Quehanna Trail or Allegheny Front Trail would be better for this type. More (potential) campsites to choose from, and generally MUCH less crowded.

Malto
02-19-2016, 13:45
Hertein campsite is what Joey is referring to. very nice and accessible from either 501 or 183

DSettahr
02-19-2016, 17:18

Here is a link to a brochure with guidelines for camping on State Forest land in PA. Note the regulations concerning length of stay and group size, mandatory setbacks from trail and water, and the seasonal fire bans.

DSettahr
02-19-2016, 17:18
Forgot the link in my post above: http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_001910.pdf

Jeronimo!
02-19-2016, 18:05
Hertein campsite is what Joey is referring to. very nice and accessible from either 501 or 183

Is the hertein campsite on a side trail ?

shelterbuilder
02-19-2016, 21:11
The actual campsite at Hertline is right on the trail. There are 2 tent pads in close proximity to each other, but there is also - IIRC - a small relatively flat site on the other side of the creek. Not sure exactly whose land it is (NPS? Bur. of Forestry?), but EVERYBODY who is on the trail will be walking through your camp.

Jeronimo!
02-20-2016, 15:52
The actual campsite at Hertline is right on the trail. There are 2 tent pads in close proximity to each other, but there is also - IIRC - a small relatively flat site on the other side of the creek. Not sure exactly whose land it is (NPS? Bur. of Forestry?), but EVERYBODY who is on the trail will be walking through your camp.

I'll probably end up bushwacking into the woods a good bit and walking to the campsite / 501 for daily water trips