PDA

View Full Version : WhisperLite Internationale

Green Bean
12-19-2005, 09:59
I just got a new stove the Whisperlite Internationale and just wanna here your input on it. ~Green Bean

kyhipo
12-19-2005, 10:05
I have had a couple of those great stoves but be warned the pumps do have a tendency to sometimes crack around the head of them.ky

rickb
12-19-2005, 14:42
Fine stove. I am thinking it remains the white gas backpacking standard.

"They" say you can't simmer with it, but I have never had a problem.

It takes some practice lighting so you don't end up with a fireball (just tun off the gas if you get too much flame, then relight.). This is not a stove to practice lighting inside. :)

Unlike an alcohol stove, you can boil a large amount of water with this one, so its great if you are cooking for more than one or two people. Or if you want to have fun and get creative with multiple courses.

Depending on the length of your trip and the kind of cooking you do, this stove may be more weight efficient than an alcohol or canister stove.

Unlike a canister stove, you can keep good tabs on the amount of fuel you have left, and/or the amount you are taking with you on a hike.

No problems in the cold with this one, in my experience.

All in all, a great stove.

Chip
12-19-2005, 14:55
I have 2 of these stoves. These are great. I agree with rickboudrie !! No problems. Easy to maintain and you can simmer your food with alittle
practice.

Toolshed
12-19-2005, 15:03
I've been using mine since '91 (upograded to the internationale around '94). Best stove I have ever had - Especially for winter or for starting damp firewood :). Absolutely reliable and field maintainable.
Even though I have been suing any alcohol stove since 2001 for summer, I look upon my W-lite as the gold standard in stoves.

Turtle2
12-19-2005, 15:53
I, too, have a whisperlite internationale. Cooks quickly, no problem with simmering. Two complaints. I also had the pump crack at the head and, most importantly, it is really loud!! So loud I quit cooking breakfast with others around as it sounded like a jet engine. As an early riser, it was better for evenings only when it wouldn't wake any one.

fiddlehead
12-19-2005, 18:35
We tried one of these in Nepal as we could only get diesel fuel. It clogged and was useless. We ended up buying the kind of stoves that the locals use. I think it's wise to forget about the hi-tech stoves and hype when you are going to 3rd world countries and find out what they are using. We ended up using GAZ stoves as the fuel was available. (lots of mountanineering trips left their extra gear in the mtns when they went home)

Uncle Silly
12-19-2005, 18:39
I've had one for about 10 years now. Never had any trouble with the pump (although I have had to replace gaskets as they age). It is loud, but it's very easy to operate (aside from simmering-- heehee!). I didn't take it on the trail because of the weight.

A tip: don't leave the gas ON while priming this stove. It doesn't take much fuel to prime it. And definitely practice using the stove outside!!

sliderule
12-19-2005, 21:17
Here is another tip. Carry a small squirt bottle of alcohol to use for priming. Much cleaner and safer.

Stoker53
12-19-2005, 22:10
I've owned mine for over 16 yrs and it has been used in all 4 seasons with no issues. Mine is so old that it does not have the shaker jet. It came with a separate needle and it is still a pain esp since my eyesight is not as good as it once was.

I've learned that after you turn the stove off never to let the flame burn until it turns yellow. Blow it out as soon as you turn the stove off and the residual pressure of the gas will keep the orifice cleaner.

I've thought that I should purchase a WL International repair kit but I'm not sure that it comes with the shaker jet assy.

A great piece of equipment. You will not be disappointed. Don't overpump it unless you want a tall surging flame.

hustler
12-20-2005, 01:08
I've had great success with mine. I would practice tearing it down and cleaning it before you get into the field.

OhCanada
12-24-2005, 21:17
Do carry a repair kit! I took mine out on a trip this summer without checking it and found out that it leaked. I didn't have my repair kit with me so I couldn't fix it until I got home. Thankfully open fires were allowed in the area at that time.

Sly
12-24-2005, 21:36
Here is another tip. Carry a small squirt bottle of alcohol to use for priming. Much cleaner and safer.

Great idea!

Many have trouble priming their stoves by allowing too much fuel into the priming cup and/or keeping the valve open.

You should also be able to hear the shaker jet rattle. If not, give it a few shakes.

Pump it 15-20 times, crack the valve for a few seconds or until you hear a hiss, close, light, open valve when the flame is almost extinquished.

Or pump it 15-20 times, small squirt of alcohol in primer cup, light, open valve when the flame is nearly out.

I used one on the AT and PCT and it never failed. Also, I never ran out of fuel using an 11 oz bottle which lasted about a week, cooking twice a day for the most part.

It's obviously heavier than an alcohol stove, but will boil more water quicker and tend to work better in colder weather. It's great for boiling three cups or more and dipping a cup of boiling water for a hot drink before adding your main meal.