PDA

View Full Version : Trail Name stories and an unrelated question

KnightErrant
02-20-2016, 11:24
I know other threads on this topic exist, but the most recent one I can find in a search was from 2007, so hopefully no one minds seeing it again...

What is/was your trail name, and more importantly, how did you get it?

I just finished Awol's book about his thru and that was the first I'd heard of people choosing their own trail names. I was under the impression that the tradition was for it to sort of "happen" on the trail. Once while day-hiking I met a young, pretty thru-hiker with the trail name Leatherfoot, which struck me as funny. She had some great stories about how she and the other hikers she met ended up with their trail names. Is it more common for people to pick their own or have it conferred upon them?

What are your stories?

My second unrelated question is this... is there a common thing to say to other hikers when you meet in passing on the AT? On the Camino de Santiago you constantly hear "Buen Camino," essentially wishing the other person a good walk. Non-hikers on the streets in town will see you with your pack and call it out to you, and hikers always say it to each other. When I got home from Spain and did some day hiking in Catawba I had to stop myself from automatically "Buen Camino"-ing every person with a backpack that I saw. Is there any equivalent phrase on the AT?

Scrum
02-20-2016, 13:50
I know other threads on this topic exist, but the most recent one I can find in a search was from 2007, so hopefully no one minds seeing it again...

What is/was your trail name, and more importantly, how did you get it?

I just finished Awol's book about his thru and that was the first I'd heard of people choosing their own trail names. I was under the impression that the tradition was for it to sort of "happen" on the trail. Once while day-hiking I met a young, pretty thru-hiker with the trail name Leatherfoot, which struck me as funny. She had some great stories about how she and the other hikers she met ended up with their trail names. Is it more common for people to pick their own or have it conferred upon them?

What are your stories?

My second unrelated question is this... is there a common thing to say to other hikers when you meet in passing on the AT? On the Camino de Santiago you constantly hear "Buen Camino," essentially wishing the other person a good walk. Non-hikers on the streets in town will see you with your pack and call it out to you, and hikers always say it to each other. When I got home from Spain and did some day hiking in Catawba I had to stop myself from automatically "Buen Camino"-ing every person with a backpack that I saw. Is there any equivalent phrase on the AT?

You should feel free to say "Buen Camino" to passing hikers on the AT . . . and if you do so it will probably end up being your trail name.

Theosus
02-21-2016, 12:53
If you don't have a trail name when you hit the trail, you probably will after a while. Tradition is, it's picked for you. Of course the way people spread out if you don't like it, just pick a new one. I'm in a hiking group on meetup with some regulars, and we've given each other trail names.

Mouse - he's a tiny little grey haired older guy that never says a word (and hikes faster than anyone else).
Cowboy - I've only seen him in a tent once. He uses shelters or just lays on a big Tyvex sheet "cowboy style" and if it rains, he just grabs a corner of the tyvek and rolls over like a burrito.
Waldo - tall skinny guy who hikes all over the country
Sunshine - a sarcastic name, because she complains a lot during a hike, and if she goes with you its GUARANTEED to rain.
The Hobbit - he hikes barefoot OR in some leather Vibram 5-fingers shoes that leave foot-shaped impressions

Then there's me - Taco. They gave that to me because I was the first to use a hammock, so I'm a "Bear Taco".

GoldenBear
02-21-2016, 16:55
> What is/was your trail name, and more importantly, how did you get it?

I chose it because it's the nickname of my university's sports team.

Over the years I've considered changing it to "Snail's Pace," but I've decided I'm too well known by my original trail name.

Christoph
02-21-2016, 22:28
Thumper. Because I'm clumsy and stub my toes on every rock or root sticking up on the trail, usually resulting in a trip or "half fall" where I end up running the next few feet. Poor things have taken some abuse!
I've got nothing for the 2nd question. Just general greetings.

MuddyWaters
02-21-2016, 23:58
Plusses and minuses.

Some people will get stuck with bad names they cant shake. The biggest advantage of naming youself, is to prevent this from happening. You can always change, although once too many know you that gets harder.

Who wants to get stuck with a name like "crotch rot" or such? When people know you dont have a name, they try to come up with one.

Given names are more special imo, but names should be unique too. Too many similar names out there.

runt13
02-22-2016, 07:56
Mine ''RUNT'', others in my circle, Broken Mike, Sweeper, Teacher, Big Irish, Elliot, Mountain Bitch.

I am only 5.5'' tall but am probably the strongest pound for pound.

''RUNT'' 13

Woodturner
02-22-2016, 08:16
I've thought a lot about coming up with some sort of trail name. The top contender is Deaf Man Walking, with Dinosaur, a reference to my age and some methods of doing things, a close second. Elwood, as in P Doud because I identify with him, and several others that were briefly considered and quickly discarded.

I have the name I've used for almost 64 years now and will probably go with it. I belong to a loose knit (no club officers, a few special ceremonies at different events, but no meetings, irregular dues) muzzle loading club with members in many states and several different countries. I only know the real name of a handful of them because of "club names". I am one of the very few who go by my given name, and that's the way I like it. Past age forty, life is confusing enough without having to remember two names for one person.

Seatbelt
02-22-2016, 14:07
Waldo - tall skinny guy who hikes all over the country

Is this the same Waldo who has videos on youtube? If so, I have a hiked a little with him.

Cheyou
02-22-2016, 14:26
Everyone I was hiking with thought my real name was my trail name. So my real name is my trail name.

Thom

dudeijuststarted
02-22-2016, 15:54
i got "dudeijuststarted" on my first section hike. a thru hiker asked me my trailname, i said "dude, i just started.." and my hiking partner said "that's it, that's your name."