PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone use Fenix 3- your thoughts

So There I Was
02-20-2016, 14:22
My older watch is about to give up the ghost. I'm a long time Garmin fan. I was looking at the Fenix 3. Any thoughts?

Yeah I know about the durability of a timex. I still have a timex from when I first joined the Army 20 years ago that still works; however, I use my Garmin watches for the variety of things I do outdoors.

Any feedback about the Fenix 2 or 3 is welcomed.

nsherry61
02-20-2016, 14:57
Big, heavy, unnecessary, expensive, fun, sexy, and informative.
I don't know of any other watches out there that offer anything close to the performance of these.
I also don't own a Ferrari or a Tesla.

Shutterbug
02-20-2016, 19:39
My older watch is about to give up the ghost. I'm a long time Garmin fan. I was looking at the Fenix 3. Any thoughts?

Yeah I know about the durability of a timex. I still have a timex from when I first joined the Army 20 years ago that still works; however, I use my Garmin watches for the variety of things I do outdoors.

Any feedback about the Fenix 2 or 3 is welcomed.

I have the Fenix 2. It is a great watch, but the battery life would be an issue on a thru-hike. If I use the gps function, the battery only lasts about 8 hours before needing a recharge. When I am hiking, I carry an Ankor recharge unit so I can recharge the Fenix every night.

bemental
02-21-2016, 14:58
I have a Fenix 3, and it works as advertised. The ABC functions work well, and the GPS tracking also works as expected.

I recently did a charity walk over the course of three months in the UK and used the active GPS function each day to track our walk. I'll post a link to my blog throughout if you're interested in viewing the tracks.

http://www.bemental.me/wob-blog/

Offshore
02-21-2016, 16:20
I have a Fenix 3, and it works as advertised. The ABC functions work well, and the GPS tracking also works as expected.

I recently did a charity walk over the course of three months in the UK and used the active GPS function each day to track our walk. I'll post a link to my blog throughout if you're interested in viewing the tracks.

http://www.bemental.me/wob-blog/

How was the real-life battery life when you were using the GPS?

ralph23
02-21-2016, 18:11
The only place for questions regarding a GPS watch is:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com

bemental
02-21-2016, 18:58
How was the real-life battery life when you were using the GPS?

After approximately 7 hours a day of active GPS tracking I would have anywhere from 30-50% battery life left.

This is not a replacement for the long-term tracking devices out there (DeLorme, SPOT) - but instead very useful for tracking specific outdoor activities (day hikes, bike rides, outdoor swims, runs, walks, etc.).

4runner
02-22-2016, 18:05
After I've bought all the latest greatest lightest new gear......ill buy a Fenix with all my leftover money.

Until then, I'll stick with my cheapy, dependable Casio.

FlyFishNut
02-23-2016, 21:54
I have the Fenix 3. (Mainly for trail running and mt biking). I was not happy with the accuracy of the GPS. A few months ago I did a 25mi mt bike ride and it measured 2 miles + short. I also had a bike computer that measured wheel revolutions and another guy had a Suunto which cost way less than my Fenix was dead nuts. I was pissed.

So, I called Garmin and explained it. They gave me no hassle (b/c it appeared there had been an issue with some of the first Fenix 3s'). They sent me a brand new watch.

So I'm in the process of checking the accuracy of this new device.

I do like the functionality of this watch as a training watch (lots of bells and whistles).

tflaris
02-24-2016, 00:19
I use mine trail hiking and find it beneficial but not necessary. I love seeing the mileage trekked without fumbling for a GPS. Also beneficial for moving speed and avg speed as well as compass, altimeter, etc. Downloads of hikes very detailed. I don't leave home without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So There I Was
02-26-2016, 15:46
Thanks for the feed back. I use my Garmin watches for about everything. My 405 has been a rock star. I use it for every aspect of working out and hiking. When I went through Physical therapy after shoulder reconstruction, having it with heart rate monitor was crucial for getting a good HR reading while in the pool and on the Incumbent bike. It is amazing how fast you put on weight after an injury.

Ralph, thanks for the link. That guy seemed pretty good and reviews a wide range of products.