PDA

View Full Version : Section Deep Gap, NC to Winding Stair

ShadowSoul
02-21-2016, 08:23
My next section will be Deep Gap, NC to Winding Stair Gap. I am trying to figure out how to make it a loop so I don't have to pay $50 dollars for a shuttle from winding stair to the backcountry site for Standing Indian Campground. I was thinking I could park at Winding Stair Gap walk the 5.8 miles down Old Murphy Rd, to the forest service Road and to the trailhead (map says all that would be 5.8 miles). The day one plan would be to make it to Standing Indian Shelter. Day 2 to Betty Creek gap. Day 3 to Long branch shelter or all the way out to Winding Stair Gap.

I will be going on March 18. What do y'all think of the plan? The shuttle is not out yet, but I am just trying to save money for my next section in April Winding Stair Gap to Hot springs in April.

Thanks so so much for your help!

daddytwosticks
02-21-2016, 16:14
If you are bound and determined not to shuttle: Leave car at WSG. Hike south on AT to Rock Gap. Road walk to the SI Campground (maybe 1-1.5 miles) and take the Kimsey Creek Trail up to Deep Gap. Hike north on the AT back to your car at WSG. :)

smithjv
02-22-2016, 18:51
Leave car at WSG and hike it SOBO to Deep Gap. Take Kimsey Creek trail back through Standing Indian CG. Hitch from SICG store back to WSG. Store is meeting place and roof over your head. SOBO is easier to hitch than NOBO (would need to park at SICG and take Kimsey Creek trail to Deep Gap, then NOBO to WSG and hitch back to SICG). My 2cents.

saltysack
02-22-2016, 23:17
Just do the SI loop as one hike then next trip go from SI bc kiosk up longbranch trial to glassmine gap head north to NOC. Makes for two great trips...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
02-23-2016, 07:52
The road walk would be a really long PITA.

Starting at WSG and hiking south to Deep Gap, then out the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground is good, though in mid-March you might wait longer for a ride than in the summer when the campground is full. Even then, though, you can walk the Standing Indian road back to WSG.