PDA

View Full Version : Hiking first week of April

hiking@40
02-21-2016, 17:57
After cancelling two prior trips (one in August 2015 and one in October 2015) I have re-planned for First week of April 2016. I have taken previous advice and am either doing the 41 miles in Maryland or the 40 so miles from Fox Creek, back south to Damascus. I got my gear planned, food, etc... Question: Which one is a better bet in regards to being warmer or better weather? I assume the Virginia trek has potential to be colder due to higher elevation. Will I run into snow? I've checked forecast and some say 40-50's, and even some says closing on 60. I am planning for colder. Am I good with campfires in Maryland, in established campgrounds? Any suggestions, advice, help, etc.. for these two sections is appreciated.

Cookerhiker
02-21-2016, 19:15
I recommend the Maryland section simply because I believe you'll enjoy Grayson better in slightly warmer weather, e.g. late April, May, September, October. Early April is more likely to be winterlike in Grayson.

Turtle-2013
02-21-2016, 19:16
My opinion, for what it is worth... you can do fine with either section in April. As far as the weather, this is as strange as any year has been ... so it could be cold and snowy, or spring weather. That said it is unlikely that it will be bitter cold. My experience living in SW VA for the past 30 years is that April is often warmer than parts of May. Just have appropriate stuff for some sub-freezing temps at night (not likely but possible.) I have hiked both sections, but rarely light a campfire so I can't remember about Maryland rules ... campfires are not a problem in VA unless a fire ban is in place. I live not far from Damascus <100 miles ... and have relatives in MD ... so if you have other, more specific, questions feel free to PM me.

shelb
02-21-2016, 23:50
I hiked though Maryland during the beginning of August, and it was HOT! We REALLY enjoyed the hike - it was our first A.T. experience; however, I wish it had been in June or earlier....

Enjoy!!!

hiking@40
02-24-2016, 08:20
Thanks for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated.

hiking@40
02-24-2016, 08:21
Thanks, I appreciate it.

Roamin
02-27-2016, 18:31
Maryland was my first AT hike. What a GREAT hike! My friend and I started at PENMAR state park and hiked south to Harper's Ferry. If I recall we hiked in May, a little later than what you are planning so I am not sure of the weather. There are plenty of campsites and shelters in the area. We stated in shelters all but one night. Despite being out of shape, with no hiking experience, and with minimal planning the Maryland section was very forgiving. Great memories. Best of luck!

Akela
02-28-2016, 18:15
[QUOTE=Turtle-2013;2044289so I can't remember about Maryland rules ... campfires are not a problem in VA unless a fire ban is in place. I live not far from Damascus <100 miles ... and have relatives in MD ... so if you have other, more specific, questions feel free to PM me.[/QUOTE]
You can only camp and make fire in established sites in MD

hiking@40
03-01-2016, 23:13
Thanks! It will be my son and my first hike on the AT. I hiked years ago with buddies. The plan is to hike the entire AT (section hike) by the time my son graduates college. He is 14,so we got to start moving!