PDA

View Full Version : 3 Days Out of Harpers Ferry

chris3852
02-21-2016, 21:59
I am thinking of taking a three day long weekend hike this spring out of Harpers Ferry. Last year I did the Maryland section from Penn Mar Park, PA to Harpers Ferry and was amazed by the trail. This year I was thinking of hiking south of Harpers Ferry to experience a different section of trail. Any suggestions on a beginning location. I thought I would leave my car in Harpers Ferry and shuttle to the starting point and walk back. Any ideas or information regarding this area would be greatly appreciated.

Malto
02-21-2016, 22:04
You didn't mention what mileage you want to do. A logical starting spot would be Front Royal.

tdoczi
02-21-2016, 22:04
I am thinking of taking a three day long weekend hike this spring out of Harpers Ferry. Last year I did the Maryland section from Penn Mar Park, PA to Harpers Ferry and was amazed by the trail. This year I was thinking of hiking south of Harpers Ferry to experience a different section of trail. Any suggestions on a beginning location. I thought I would leave my car in Harpers Ferry and shuttle to the starting point and walk back. Any ideas or information regarding this area would be greatly appreciated.

if you arent averse to doing 20 on mostly easy (and some moderate) terrain, front royal to HF is doable in that time

Malto
02-21-2016, 22:23
On the transportation question....

here's a link to a list of shuttle options that can get you from the start to the end. I would recommend shuttling at the start of your hike then hiking back to your car. This allows you to hike your pace and not worry about scheduling a shuttle. The only reason you wouldn't want to do this is if you lack confidence that you will go the whole way. That would require a second shuttle if you cut the hike short.

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...a.pdf?sfvrsn=0 (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/at-shuttlesf9e1dd6668ce6efcb07bff000057c13a.pdf?sfvrs n=0)

Slo-go'en
02-21-2016, 22:49
It took me 5 days to go from HF to Front Royal last year. But I'm an old man and was starting out fresh off the coach and not having done much all winter.

There is a 13.5 miles stretch of 10, 300 to 500 foot accents and descents. This section is called "The Roller Coaster" for good reason. That's the only kind of difficult section since all those little grunts come in quick succession. Up and over one, just to do it again and again and again. Sky meadow state park is the highlight of trip.

Red Cinema
02-22-2016, 00:28
Given that you've got three days inclusive, IMHO from Front Royal is a bit far. Parking on Rt. 522 is at 969.1; HF train station is 1022.9, for a run of 53.8 miles overall. Morgan's Mill Road is mile 996.4; going north that starts off with a section of the roller coaster* for a run of 26.5, a decent amount for a three day period that includes time for shuttling and etc. Morgan's Mill Rd. is a little twisty thing. Blue Ridge Mtn. Road is mile 989.2 for another roughly 7 miles (and more roller coaster, it starts at 993.1). A guide like Guthook's AT Hiker (which I use on iOS) is handy for this sort of thing, but you can also do this via info available at the ATC. Good luck!

*My take on the Roller Coaster
If you've got your trail legs, as NOBO thru hikers do when they hit this, the roller coaster ain't much to write home about. If you DON'T have your trail legs, it is a debilitating stretch. Always up, always down, rocky, and maybe one good view if my memory serves. I was greatly amused to struggle through this on a section hike last year to be passed by thru hikers moving roughly twice my speed...and talking the whole time. So My advice is if no trail legs, assume slow going and/or less mileage, HYOH know your limits etc., the trail flattens out considerably after the coaster section until a downhill run into HF itself.

Enjoy!