PDA

View Full Version : pot

AtWokman
02-22-2016, 08:57
Or kettle?

I just got the soloists, moving up form the minimalist, used it on a two night bday camping trip for my 7 yr son. About the same as the minimalist but bigger with a handle and a cupish bowl.
What is it you cook in?

SteelCut
02-22-2016, 10:22
I thought this thread was going to be about something different.

Anyways, I don't cook ... just boil water in the Snow Peak Mini Soloist.

Heliotrope
02-22-2016, 11:08
If I plan on "cooking" I use a 1l titanium pot for solo trips and a 1.5 L for two. Lately I have been into boil in bag meals- then I bring a 700mL pasta pot (more like a mug)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
02-22-2016, 13:22
I use the MSR Titian Kettle as my pot. The kettle specs at 4.2oz @ 0.85L.

That makes it about the same volume as the Snow Peak Trek 900 (6oz @0.88L)
and the Snow Peak Mini Soloist ( 5.5oz @ 0.82L) I'm guessing the Snow Peak Mini Soloist would weigh more on par with the Titan Kettle if you leave the Snow Peak cup at home.

Woodturner
02-22-2016, 13:48
I thought this thread was going to be about something different.

Anyways, I don't cook ... just boil water in the Snow Peak Mini Soloist.

So did I.
I also use the Soloist. Everything, the stove, (alcohol) windscreen, pot stand, (homemade from hardware cloth) plastic cup out of an old Boy Scout mess kit and the plastic bowl that came with the pot, and a small multi-tool fit inside. I wasn't going to take the plastic bowl. I changed my mind when it occurred to me that I could use it for sponge baths.

cneill13
02-22-2016, 14:06
ATWokman:

When I first met you, you had the heaviest backpack I have ever seen on a human. (He even carried a cast-iron wok hence his name)

It cracks me up to see you now writing about being a "minimalist".

I carry an Evernew titanium 8 inch skillet. It weighs 5 1/2 oz. and I cook everything on it from quesadillas to hamburgers.

I am heading out on the 65 mile "Georgia Loop" (BMT, Duncan Ridge, AT) the first week of April.

If you have the time or desire to meet me out there, let me know.

Carl

AtWokman
02-22-2016, 16:25
I would but I am starting the A.T. nobo March 27th

LIhikers
02-22-2016, 18:03
I use the K-Mart Grease pot.
It's usually me and my wife, so there's plenty of room for food for 2.

CarlZ993
02-23-2016, 18:43
My $0.02...

If you're 'cooking' in a pot, you'll need a pot ~1L or so. Little smaller if you're a light eater. If you're just boiling a couple cups of water & pouring it into a food bag, you can go much smaller.

My typical system: 0.9L Evernew Titanium pot w/ pot cozy; pot stuff sack (Zpacks; oversized for 1.3L Evernew pot to accommodate the cozy); spoon; Sea to Summit X-Mug; oleo tub w/ lid (bowl). I'll boil 2 - 3 cups water, stir in my food for a few seconds, take off stove & place in pot cozy, & wait 10-15 min before eating.

Good luck on your hike.

John M
02-24-2016, 16:31
Just FYI but campsaver finally got the Evernew .9L UL pot back in stock. Ordered mine yesterday.