PDA

View Full Version : 2017 - just got the "go ahead"

hubcap
02-22-2016, 09:21
So, my wife says to me "You should thru hike the AT." Ummmm... yes, Dear? WoW!!! So I'm officially in get ready mode for next year (2017). Got a few things going right now to finish off that make this year a no-go. So I'm setting up for a 2017 thru. Being retired and debt free, and a being husband to a wonderfully supportive wife - I'm feelin' pretty lucky!!

Just had to share this.... :-)

Old Grouse
02-22-2016, 09:58
Congratulations, brother!

Pedaling Fool
02-22-2016, 10:04
What better day to get this good new than on today -- National Margarita Day:)

http://nationalmargaritaday.com/

Heliotrope
02-22-2016, 10:50
Sweet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoneStranger
02-22-2016, 10:55
The only problem with having a loving, supportive wife who encourages you to hit the trail is that they are the sort you really miss when you go :)

Congratulations on the wife and the hike!

Traillium
02-22-2016, 11:03
I'm with the OP in having a wonderful and supportive and understanding wife who encouraged me — and continues to encourage me! — in a good hike. (I'm thruhiking our local Bruce Trail, a 40-day venture for me, as I trace Spring northwards.)
My wife's rationale: I have low-grade non-aggressive prostate cancer being closely watched. Get out now to do the solo 'wilderness' naturalist trip I've long wanted to do.
Yes, I'll certainly miss her when I'm out on the trail!

Bruce Traillium

hubcap
02-22-2016, 11:05
The only problem with having a loving, supportive wife who encourages you to hit the trail is that they are the sort you really miss when you go :)

Congratulations on the wife and the hike!

No doubt she will really miss me, as I will her. I'm looking at and planning where she can meet me along the way. It will be a shared experience - as much as possible.

Traillium
02-22-2016, 11:18
I'm fortunate in that the near-middle of the Bruce Trail does a half-loop around our hometown. I'll be slack-packing from home for perhaps 5 days, plus likely taking a zero and a nero during that time.
My wife will come with me in the nero — and may even stay out overnight with me. That would be wonderful!
She always said if our relationship was ever challenged, she'd want to spend a week and more at the other end of a canoe together, directly experiencing nature together at close quarters. That stress never happened, though we've probably spent half a year total together in our canoe over the forty plus years we've been together.

Bruce Traillium

Malto
02-22-2016, 11:33
No doubt she will really miss me, as I will her. I'm looking at and planning where she can meet me along the way. It will be a shared experience - as much as possible.

I am also married to a saint. One caution though, I met my wife for about five days midway through my thru and I would hesitate to do it again. In the days leading up to the visit I was looking ahead. While I was with her I was thinking about being back on the trail. It wasn't nearly as fulfilling as we thought. I have heard this same thing from other hikers as well though others have had better experiences. One key factor is whether you are hiking in a group that you will have to break with.

Traillium
02-22-2016, 13:18
I am also married to a saint. One caution though, I met my wife for about five days midway through my thru and I would hesitate to do it again. In the days leading up to the visit I was looking ahead. While I was with her I was thinking about being back on the trail. It wasn't nearly as fulfilling as we thought. I have heard this same thing from other hikers as well though others have had better experiences. One key factor is whether you are hiking in a group that you will have to break with.

I'm aware of that issue — and she's the one who keeps raising it as well. She says I should be prepared to bail on the home stay any time.
(I'm hiking solo, so no group issues.)

Bruce Traillium

The Roaming Gnome
02-26-2016, 13:36
Congratulations. We are both blessed with understanding wives. I'll be joining you my friend in 2017.

hubcap
02-26-2016, 14:29
Met my wife for lunch today. She started off the conversation with "So, when you are on your hike next year...." I think she's almost as excited about this adventure as I am. The curiosity of a long distance hike is fraught with fun questions. She asked "how do you eat Snickers when it's hot outside" Ha! Love it!!!

CarlZ993
02-26-2016, 16:40
I followed two thru-hikers I knew in 2012 (one NoBo & one SoBo). As the SoBo hiker neared her finish, my wife gave me the OK to do the AT. March 2013, I was hiking NoBo. Didn't want her to change her mind. :)

I too was retired (w/ a pension) & debt-free as well.