PDA

View Full Version : Grayson or Mcafee/Tinker

onehumper
02-22-2016, 10:17
I've got a possible chance to get away for 2-3 days the second week of March. I'm wondering whether to head to Grayson or Mcafee/Tinker. I've done both several times and love the views. Curious about weather/trail conditions if anyone's done either in early March? Thanks!

bigcranky
02-22-2016, 10:25
Grayson has more loop trail options, I think. Mid March is still winter conditions but it can get nice during the day.

chknfngrs
02-22-2016, 10:34
There is a sweet circuit hike you can crush that includes dragons tooth, mcafees knob etc that uses the AT and the ridge line due west of it, whose name escapes me now. My wife and I parked at dragons tooth, hiked NoBo on on the AT up and over the knob, then left the AT at Andy Layne Trail, crossed VA779, climbed to the ridge and followed it south back to our car. Water was scarce on the western ridge, but you will see zero people over there. I think it was roughly 30 miles.

chknfngrs
02-22-2016, 10:36
We hiked in August which is wayyy different than March as far as water conditions are concerned. We camped up near tinkers somewhere.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-26-2016, 20:27
I did McAfee early March 2014. Water was a trickle and there were weekend crowds. My vote is for Graysoin Highlands, but I;'m baised towards that place anyway. Dress warm!

Southerner
02-27-2016, 06:32
McAfee's is at a substantially lower elevation than Grayson Highlands, which would seem to make it a safer bet if you are worried about lingering winter weather (and there could be some with this crazy winter). There will be plenty of water -- we have had extraordinary rainfall / snowfall since September to the point that has actually gotten quite annoying. If you haven't done other places in Virginia, it might be worth exploring someplace new.

Turtle-2013
02-27-2016, 07:54
It is North Mountain, there used to be a Spring just off the trail about halfway down the ridge. The AT used that ridge in the early 80's when there wasn't a corridor due to a property owner between McAfee and Tinker....

There is a sweet circuit hike you can crush that includes dragons tooth, mcafees knob etc that uses the AT and the ridge line due west of it, whose name escapes me now. My wife and I parked at dragons tooth, hiked NoBo on on the AT up and over the knob, then left the AT at Andy Layne Trail, crossed VA779, climbed to the ridge and followed it south back to our car. Water was scarce on the western ridge, but you will see zero people over there. I think it was roughly 30 miles.