PDA

View Full Version : Art Loeb Thru hike

Dawg55
02-22-2016, 11:33
I'm planning a thru hike starting at Davidson River Campground. I'm looking for feedback to see how realistic is it to hike from Davidson trailhead to Deep Gap on day 1 and then from deep gap to meet other half of my group by 9:30 on day 2?

Any suggestions about going from Davidson River to Boy Scouts camp appreciated

HeartFire
02-22-2016, 16:07
Deep Gap to the scout camp is only 5 miles, the trail is about 30 miles I think - Davidson River is the Brevard trail head I think - others can chime in here - so if you can hike 25 miles in one day with a heck of a big climb up, you could do it.

I tried to hike it a few weeks ago, from the scout camp to Brevard, there was about 6 inches of snow when we got to Deep Gap, and we lost the trail. I've hiked sections of it before, but I'm missing about 1/2 mile of trail out of deep gap - I know where the trail is supposed to go, just couldn't find it that day, and post holing in 6 inches of wet snow wasn't fun. I turned around and went back down to the scout camp.

Dawg55
02-22-2016, 16:25
I'm referring to the Deep Gap that is in Section 2 south of the Blue Ridge Parkway about 15 miles by my guess from Davidson River

Mr. Bumpy
02-22-2016, 16:39
I replied to the other post you made. Try not to make two posts asking the same question. I assumed that you were talking about the shelter that is south of the parkway. Here is what I said:

Doable but not fun for most, I'd say.
The Davidson River to Cedar Rock Knob shelter section is one that most people find boring and is often skipped. If you parked at the fish hatchery you would be several miles closer to Deep Gap shelter and have a nicer hike, I think.