PDA

View Full Version : Peace in the Valley - another CO trip report

Mags
12-19-2005, 13:49
Experiencing the outdoors can happen in many different ways.

Experiences of epic hikes, grand views and majestic vistas. A weekend of bold strokes and flourishes. An exclamation mark to punctuate the day.

If last weekend was one of bold strokes, this past weekend was of subtlety and fine detail. The softly falling snow blanketing the trail. The sound of skis gliding along the path. Where instead of limitless views there were subtle
delights. No exclamation mark but an ellipsis...

With a backcountry hut trip coming up in less than a month, wanted to get some skiing practice. I am, at best, a novice - intermediate skiier. Not falling down is a great victory for me!

The trip decided was the aptly named Peaceful Valley. Relatively low (below 10k), sheltered by the trees with a gentle up and an equally gentle down. Perfect place to get some backcountry skiing practice!

The day was very overcast with a small bit of snow still coming down. But at the trailhead it was magical. No wind, suprisingly warm, and the softly
falling snow gave the area an almost magical quality.

The day was just about right. Ten miles round trip of moderate skiing. Naturally my favorite chocolate lab was on trip. If a dog ever enjoyed playing in the snow, it is my friends' dog! He did not seem to be
coated in ice and snow. It was just another great day for playing. Was my attitude as well.

Ended the day with the customary slurping of cocoa. A thermos of hot drinks is a wonderful item to pack on a snowy Colorado day.

Last weekend I enjoyed views of snow covered peaks and skies so blue that it almost seemed unreal. This past weekend? A blanket of white and gray, only broken up by the green of the trees. Both weekends were great;
both weekends displayed aspects of outdoors I enjoyed.

The majestic and the sublime. The subtle and the grand. Life can be really good at times.

Pics at:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cowint06?&page=2

(They are 800x600, if you want a higher res pic, let me know).