PDA

View Full Version : SNP Swift run gap parking

flemdawg1
02-22-2016, 16:34
I'm planning a hike for fall. Is it OK to leave a car at the Swift run gap entrance station? Or can 2 cars enter to drop one off at the South river picnic area on one entrance fee?

jimmyjam
02-22-2016, 17:05
Two cars will pay two entrance fees. You can park at the top of the hill at Swift Run Gap at the visitor information center in the old hotel parking lot or park down below in the parking lot by the Kettle Corn trailer. There are a ton of shuttlers available to shuttle you into the park and then you can walk back to your car.

flemdawg1
02-22-2016, 18:08
hotel, kettle corn trailer, are you talking about rockfish gap?

jimmyjam
02-22-2016, 18:35
hotel, kettle corn trailer, are you talking about rockfish gap?

Whoops I'm sorry. It's been one of those days. There are about 4 parking spots on the parkway on either side of the gap that I have left a car at for a couple of days. Fill out your backcountry pass at the entrance and mark on it where you are parking. You can also park out on Rt.33 but it's not as safe as on the parkway.

GoldenBear
02-22-2016, 18:45
> Is it OK to leave a car at the Swift run gap entrance station?

There are places to park just past the entrance station.
Click on the top [Map] Button at the right side of this URL for info
http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=11%20&sectionID=139

> can 2 cars enter to drop one off at the South river picnic area on one entrance fee?
If a car drives into the park, it pays the admission fee - period.
If two cars enter the park, they both pay - period.

Rockfish Gap has places to park
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/55285-Rockfish-Gap?p=1896799&highlight=rockfish+gap#post1896799
but it is QUITE different than the place you're asking about.

johnnybgood
02-23-2016, 09:35
I understand the OP as wanting Information about Swift Run entrance to SNP.

Parking a car just beyond the pay station is OK just confirm with the Ranger in advance. Also there is a pull off at the top of the access road for several cars.

Every car going through the pay station is charged an entrance fee of $20 . I would let the Ranger know of your plans and he/she may be nice enough to allow you to pull off at the station while waiting for your ride

Gambit McCrae
02-23-2016, 11:04
There is what I would call plenty of side of the road parking here. I parked my car here for a week and in 2014 and had no problems. Didn't even have to pay as I say I was just a hiker for the week. Still got my hiker permit obviously

flemdawg1
02-23-2016, 12:00
So far the plan is to drop off a car and end our hike there. we'll be entering the South end later the next week.

Gambit McCrae
02-23-2016, 13:08
That is how I did my hike but I started in harpers Ferry