PDA

View Full Version : Best pop tarts?

saltysack
02-22-2016, 23:13
I've never really eaten many pop tarts but wanting to try on my sup expedition race in a few weeks...love oatmeal but paddling 45-60 mpd I don't want to cook or clean breakfast....good variety from the staple of cliff bars, protein bars, gorp and jerky.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-22-2016, 23:17
Well, the real thing is a must. Dont ever buy the store brand.

But honestly, i cant choke down poptarts anymore. Not to mention they make a crumbly mess. Chocolate are OK.

hikehunter
02-22-2016, 23:47
They do get smashed up in the pack. They no longer make the chocolate creme. Cherry is ok. I only take a pack or 2 as I am mostly over pop-tarts.

Heliotrope
02-22-2016, 23:49
Natures Path brand makes killer "pop tarts" that have a little more substance than the original kind.

Sethern
02-23-2016, 00:15
S'mores are the best! Just wish I could find a lightweight battery run toaster.:)

jj dont play
02-23-2016, 00:17
Easily Brown Sugar Cinnamon

Odd Man Out
02-23-2016, 00:50
I grew up on brown sugar cinnamon. I rember when they first came out with the frosting that won't melt in a toaster - a milestone of food engineering. They are the only pop tart for me.

VTATHiker
02-23-2016, 05:49
Wildlicious. Hands down. It's not really a flavor... but then, are Pop Tarts really food? Whatever the case, I'm sure I ate my weight in these things on the trail and I never got tired of this "flavor". Also, consider keeping the tarts in the box they come with. Like everyone else out there I got rid of the all the extra packaging for everything else, but the Pop Tart box is just strong enough to keep them from smashing in your pack (usually) - a small price to pay for tarts with integrity.

Riocielo
02-23-2016, 06:31
Strawberry iced.

bigcranky
02-23-2016, 07:49
Raspberry iced. Not available south of Virginia, sadly. +1 on getting the real thing.

mrcoffeect
02-23-2016, 08:48
wildlious. got to love poptarts. the food that never goes stale, cause it never was fresh.

chknfngrs
02-23-2016, 08:51
The best pop tart flavor is the one that's in my hand. We upped their game recently by adding cream cheese between two tarts to make one big fat pop cream or cheese tart

saltysack
02-23-2016, 09:51
Choices....choices...choices...I'm a health conscious person normally but out on trail I tend to crave junk!!!!go figure!

jenningka
02-23-2016, 09:56
Brown Sugar Cinnamon is my go to but I love to mix in frosted blueberry too (it doesn't seem as overwhelmingly sweet to me as some of the others.)

rusty bumper
02-23-2016, 10:05
Blueberry is my favorite. On my hike I thought the Kroger brand was the best.

tiptoe
02-23-2016, 10:21
Pop tarts are a gateway food to sugar addiction. I tried them different varieties a few years ago and they all have a lingering chemical taste, in my opinion, followed by a huge sugar rush that lasts an hour or two and then leaves you craving more. (Ditto for Little Debbies pies.) I will eat them if I am desperate, though.

Puddlefish
02-23-2016, 10:42
Well, the real thing is a must. Dont ever buy the store brand.

But honestly, i cant choke down poptarts anymore. Not to mention they make a crumbly mess. Chocolate are OK.

Have to disagree here. I haven't had one lately, but when they started advertising Smuckers fillings, they started skimping on the fillings, and they became dry and inedible. The store brand was far superior to the brand name at that point.

Maybe I'll have to buy a box of each... for science.

mikec
02-23-2016, 11:12
You can buy a plastic pop tart holder in most grocery stores that will keep your pop tarts intact while in your pack. It holds a 2 pack of pop tarts. My favorites are strawberry iced, brown sugar cinnamon iced and blueberry iced.

TexasBob
02-23-2016, 11:26
I grew up on brown sugar cinnamon. I rember when they first came out with the frosting that won't melt in a toaster - a milestone of food engineering. They are the only pop tart for me.

None better!

The best pop tart flavor is the one that's in my hand. We upped their game recently by adding cream cheese between two tarts to make one big fat pop cream or cheese tart

True genius! My mouth waters at the thought of a brown sugar cinnamon pop tart cream cheese sandwich. Some bacon would make a savory addition.

aruthenb
02-23-2016, 11:27
The best pop-tart is the one you didn't eat. It may be full of calories but there is a difference between good and bad calories for energy.

ryjohnson09
02-23-2016, 11:41
Cookie Dough!! Anyone who says otherwise is lying (2nd place is brown sugar cinnamon or s'mores).

Longboysfan
02-23-2016, 11:47
Do they make a pop tart that does not have the extra sugar coating on the top?

swisscross
02-23-2016, 11:52
My daughter eat frosted strawberry PTs.
I have not eaten one in more than 30 years.

Halfblind
02-23-2016, 11:57
Strawberry pop tarts with icing are my favorite. They would get so broken up, I would just mix them in with my oatmeal when I decided to cook in the mornings. Just got my power turned back on this morning. Everyone to the east of Texas better watch out for the BAD storm that is working its way East. 1\2 inch hail and tornados with 60mph winds hit us late Monday night.

Malto
02-23-2016, 11:58
Chocolate fudge is my current favorite! Cherry a close second. Really depends on whether I need to eat fruit. But variety is the key after more than a couple of days.

Heliotrope
02-23-2016, 12:33
Pop tarts are a gateway food to sugar addiction. I tried them different varieties a few years ago and they all have a lingering chemical taste, in my opinion, followed by a huge sugar rush that lasts an hour or two and then leaves you craving more. (Ditto for Little Debbies pies.) I will eat them if I am desperate, though.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/23/6c8ea795b0a7e19f299c1708c8439da4.jpg

saltysack
02-23-2016, 12:42

Haaa I don't like cream cheese but you got me thinking!!!! Strawberry iced w Justin's almond butter between!!!

saltysack
02-23-2016, 12:54
You can buy a plastic pop tart holder in most grocery stores that will keep your pop tarts intact while in your pack. It holds a 2 pack of pop tarts. My favorites are strawberry iced, brown sugar cinnamon iced and blueberry iced.

The day I buy a holster for a pop tart!!!! Cuben fiber???[emoji16]

Old Hiker
02-23-2016, 12:59
Used to be BSC.

Now: http://www.belvitabreakfast.com/

Started reading through the propaganda, uh.........., I mean articles. Seems to be a tad more nutritious. I like 'em because they don't crush and are smaller with the same caloric footprint, etc.

Ankle Bone
02-23-2016, 13:18
1 Madonna
2 Lady Gaga
3 Katy Perry

OldTrailDog
02-23-2016, 21:35
Unfrosted Cherry!

saltysack
02-23-2016, 22:22
Damn this is a hot topic....I just bought 3 boxes at Wally World.. I can't bring my arse to eat any till I'm burning some serious calories...I bought smores, cinnamon brown sugar and frosted strawberry...now I just need some Justin's maple almond butter to top them off.

saltysack
02-23-2016, 22:23
Thx for all the great input!!!!!

virginia jen
02-24-2016, 00:59
Sugar Cookie! (limited edition around the holidays). Then Raspberry or Cherry frosted. S'mores holds up *best* in the pack. Chocolate frosted is always good. Oreo one is disappointing.

Hangfire
02-24-2016, 01:12
As I recall the the cinnamon brown sugar variant held 10 more calories than any other flavor. I easily ate my body weight in pop tarts over the course of my thru, my favorites were strawberry and blue berry.

One thing interesting I learned was that the plain pop tarts (no frosting) were vegan approved. Also for anyone who found themselves running a cycle of doxycycline for Lyme disease the unfrosted pop tarts have no dairy so you can mix the two for breakfast or dinner when you take your meds...

rocketsocks
02-24-2016, 01:25
Pop tarts blow, little debbie cinnamon rolls rule, they make a great pillow to, and you can crush the stuffin out of 'em, they take a lickin' & keep on tickin'

saltysack
02-24-2016, 07:13
Pop tarts blow, little debbie cinnamon rolls rule, they make a great pillow to, and you can crush the stuffin out of 'em, they take a lickin' & keep on tickin'

This is turning into a nutritional nightmare....[emoji1]
If only I could pack calorie dense ice cream for breakfast!! Maybe a growler of my favorite ipa for desert!!!!

perdidochas
02-24-2016, 12:47
I've never really eaten many pop tarts but wanting to try on my sup expedition race in a few weeks...love oatmeal but paddling 45-60 mpd I don't want to cook or clean breakfast....good variety from the staple of cliff bars, protein bars, gorp and jerky.......

You can cook instant oatmeal in the packet. The only real time involved is the boiling of the water.

saltysack
02-24-2016, 12:58
You can cook instant oatmeal in the packet. The only real time involved is the boiling of the water.

Yea but not nearly as convenient as I'm only heating water at night for my hawk vittles meal and will make my mocha then also...love my hydro flask.......keeps hot coffee over 12 hours...too heavy for backpacking but perfect for paddling.

tiptoe
02-24-2016, 13:18
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/02/23/6c8ea795b0a7e19f299c1708c8439da4.jpg

Yup, so true. When I returned from the Little Debbies hike, I craved sugar for about 3 weeks. I was pretty surprised, but I didn't give in, since I realized what was happening. It's not a big deal to eat this sort of thing while hiking, but scary when you think that sugary stuff is such a big part of the typical American diet.

Latitude918
02-24-2016, 14:52
Strawberry Pop Tarts are the ONLY Pop Tarts.

Don H
02-24-2016, 17:20
I ate a pack of Cinnamon Brown Sugar with frosting every morning during my thru. Always kept them in the box.

saltysack
02-24-2016, 17:44
Yup, so true. When I returned from the Little Debbies hike, I craved sugar for about 3 weeks. I was pretty surprised, but I didn't give in, since I realized what was happening. It's not a big deal to eat this sort of thing while hiking, but scary when you think that sugary stuff is such a big part of the typical American diet.

For some folks....i.e. people of Wal mart!! It's just a normal part of their diet...scary! Wonder why there are so many fat Azz people in the USA....go to Walmart after dark scary!

Don H
02-24-2016, 19:54
Of course lunch was M&M Peanuts. Seemed like I was eating half a pound a day and still loosing weight.

TexasBob
02-24-2016, 20:07

True, but then you have - oatmeal - which is bland, tasteless and disgustingly glue-like to me :eek:. I wish I liked - oatmeal - but no amount of doctoring with brown sugar, raisins, or whatever makes it palatable to my taste buds.

George P Burdell
02-24-2016, 20:33
Unfrosted cinnamon and brown sugar for the win.

Best sugary high calorie breakfast of all time though is Morton honey buns- too bad they don't make em anymore.

Hangfire
02-24-2016, 21:58
Unfrosted cinnamon and brown sugar for the win.

Best sugary high calorie breakfast of all time though is Morton honey buns- too bad they don't make em anymore.

That's one thing I liked about pop tarts was they weren't as sticky and messy as Honey Buns, though you did have to deal with the tart mash in the later supply days.

Puddlefish
02-24-2016, 23:01
True, but then you have - oatmeal - which is bland, tasteless and disgustingly glue-like to me :eek:. I wish I liked - oatmeal - but no amount of doctoring with brown sugar, raisins, or whatever makes it palatable to my taste buds.

Try adding warm water to old fashioned oats, then it will be bland, tasteless, but not glue-like.

RockDoc
02-25-2016, 00:30
I knew a thru hiker named Nature who had massive amounts of pop tarts shipped to her all along the trail in 2009. She ended up ill and spent time in the hospital.

BonBon
02-25-2016, 07:31
Oddly enough- I didn't eat a single pop tart on my thru. Or honey bun. But as a kid I liked the brown sugar one.