PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Shopping

K-Man
12-19-2005, 14:57
I just went to the mall at lunch and was amazed at how many people where there crazily shopping for gifts. I got cut off twice trying to find parking so I eventually just went as far away from the entrance as I could and hoofed it. When I finally got in the mall every store had a line like 10 people long. So I got to thinking...Why should I spend my hard earned money on gifts (that were probably not made in this country) to give to someone who will prob not even like what I got them. There are a few specifics that I know family and a few friends want, but everyone else I would be buying just to buy. I have thought about buying all of my friends memberships to the ATC or the NY/NJ TC. They all know I like to hike and would get a kick out of this. I could also donate to other organizations like the National Park Conservancy. What do you fellow WBers think? Should I say the heck with everyone and not buy everything? Should I succumb to buying the pointless junk? Should I donate to organizations? Enlist them in the Trail Conference?:-?

Ender
12-19-2005, 15:25
I feel that donating to charity is always a nice gift, especially if the charity is something they may have a personal interest in. Plus, it's certainly a nice thing to do.

Kids however pretty much need the loot, so if you're buying for kids, best to just buy them something. :rolleyes:

gsingjane
12-19-2005, 15:31
God help me, but I think that little stuffed shelter mouse with the t-shirt on (that ATC is marketing) is just the cutest thing I ever saw. And this from a woman whose house contains, at least count, 13,014 beanies and their ilk, none of which anybody ever even looks at, much less plays with. But I'd buy that mouse for any little girl in a heartbeat... do well by doing good!

Jane in CT

stupe
12-19-2005, 17:25
I stopped buying Christmas gifts years ago, and told everyone I know not to get me anything for the holiday. I have a sister in law who doesn't get it, but other wise it's worked out ok. Of course, there are no small children in my family, which makes it easier. Most of my freinds have said it's nice being able to buy one less gift.
Gift giving has over shadowed all aspects of the holiday, to the point that you can attend a typical Christmas celebration and there will be no sign of or any mention at all of the religious significance.
Giving the dough we waste on presents to a charity sounds so much more in the spirit of the season, and it would break the stranglehold that the retailers seem to have on us. Plus, we wouldn't have to listen to Christmas music starting in early November, or watch those idiotic commercials about how Jesus' birthday is best celebrated by buying your spouse a Lexus.

DavidNH
12-19-2005, 20:10
You know what is especially distressing.. I buy gifts to mail off to someone living far away and find often times that the postage to mail the gift is costlier than the gift itself! ack...gotta be a way around this. I am not even talking express shipping here..just standard priority! Gifts to family this time of year are expected arent they?
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

lobster
12-19-2005, 22:22
Stop being so cheap and buy something much more expensive than the postage!!! LOL

Lone Wolf
12-20-2005, 16:12
X-Mas sucks. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. Came back from a mall a while ago. Tons of angry non-english speaking shoppers. Lotsa road rage too. This place sucks.

dharmabum86
12-20-2005, 16:39
I know that everyone in my family would love to have memberships to ATC, especially in GA. For my 21st birthday my family made a donation to the Diabetes Foundation in my name. It was the same year I found out I was a diabetic. It was the best present ever.

I get my sis and her family an annual state park pass every year for Christmas. For B-days we do family passes to the aquarium in Chattanooga and the zoo!

Another great gift is that you can "buy" a star and name it, you get a certificate, etc. I think it's awesome....AND romantic :jump

LIhikers
12-20-2005, 16:50
I get my sis and her family an annual state park pass every year for Christmas.

What a great idea.
My wife and I did the same as stupe mentioned above but I really like the idea of state park passes. Thanks for the idea dharmabum86!

lobster
12-20-2005, 17:22
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">LW,

"Came back from a mall a while ago. Tons of angry non-english speaking shoppers."

What were you doing down in that 3rd world country?

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lone Wolf
12-20-2005, 17:40
Gypsy's family. Some things you gotta do.

smokymtnsteve
12-20-2005, 17:50

U ain't gotta do it ..U wanna do it...or U wouldn't be doing it....;)

the goat
12-20-2005, 18:06
steve, whaddya gettin yer dogs for christmas?

MOWGLI
12-20-2005, 19:29

I just knew you weren't a barbarian. ;)

Merry Christmas LW.

smokymtnsteve
12-20-2005, 20:28
steve, whaddya gettin yer dogs for christmas?

goat ..get real...

Xmas is a Xian holiday...I'm no xian..I don't celebrate xmas.

It'll be just another day in the dog yard ....running dogs under the northern lights.

Lone Wolf
12-21-2005, 10:16
I just knew you weren't a barbarian. ;)

Merry Christmas LW.
Merry Christmas to you and your family too.

timhines
12-21-2005, 10:59
I tell peopel to not buy me anything but they don't listen.

This year I did most shopping online. I found a lot of good deals at slickdeals.net Great site.

I also bought some Food Gift Certificates from restaurant.com I managed to buy $90 worth of coupons for $12.80. Now that's a smokin' deal!

Nate
12-24-2005, 12:35
Buying is great , charity is also great, but please<for the love of God> don't come to visit me @ K-Mart on Christmas Eve. I won't be pleasent at midnight.

Merry Christmas
Nate:sun