PDA

View Full Version : Section hike: Winding Stair Gap to NOC

valeflyfish47
02-23-2016, 11:15
My wife and I are novice to the AT. We want to start doing some section hiking. We figured to start on Winding Gap to NOC. my wife's sister lives in Franklin so that would be a great launch.
Train up. We do some running and hikes at South Mountain State park.
We were thinking Memorial day weekend. (We'd already have 3 days off and could add one more.)
Thinking 3 days Fri - Sun.
Is this doable?
Will it be crazy/crowded that weekend?
Will the evening temps be mild?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

soumodeler
02-23-2016, 11:31
Very doable in 3 days, easily doable in 2 if you wanted to. I would suggest Winding Stair to Wayah Shelter day 1, then to Wesser shelter night 2, and an easy out on day 3 to NOC.

Probably a little crowded, but the main thru bubble will be long gone.

Temps could be cool or warm. Doubt it would be cold though but be ready for 30*.

Trance
02-23-2016, 12:00
It will be crowded with day hikers... but that's it.

Be ready for the 5 mile downhill to the NOC. It's a knee slayer if you are not trained.

SteelCut
02-23-2016, 13:09
My preference would be to avoid it on that weekend ... but ultimately that's your call. It's a great section and Trance is right about the downhill section into NOC. Since you are new hikers you might want to want to try to do it over 3 easy days rather than try to force it in two days. Running is good fitness but doesn't necessarily help with carrying a heavy pack up and down hills as that is a different set of muscles. Add some additional weight to your day hike packs and pick some trails that have some elevation changes.

full conditions
02-23-2016, 13:18
If you have decent weather, you could spend both nights on mountain tops - cook dinner down at the Siler Bald shelter and sleep up on the summit of Siler Bald then the next day eat a cold supper up on Wesser Bald and sleep on the observation deck of the old fire tower. There's a spring about 0.7mi downhill north from the fire tower that you could use to get water for the night but I would just camel up at the last little creek coming down from Cooper Bald to Telico Gap. This would leave you with about six miles out to NOC your third day.

Alternatively, you could shoot for either Wayah Bald or Wine Spring Bald (which has a nice spring and campsites) or the Wayah Bald shelter - this would make for a longer and tougher first day but an easier second day.

Whatever you do, make sure not to pass up the blue blazed side trail out to Black Bald - amazing lichens and views north and east.

valeflyfish47
02-23-2016, 13:49
Thanks for the great info and tips.
Are any of the streams or creeks fishable or have pools.

soumodeler
02-23-2016, 14:23
Thanks for the great info and tips.
Are any of the streams or creeks fishable or have pools.

You can fish at the NOC.

Gambit McCrae
02-23-2016, 15:20
March 27th? You will have more then your fair share of both Thru hikers, as well as holiday weekenders. Plenty of trail and tent space for everyone though. Nice section with a dramatic drop into NOC. Did this section in 2 days (http://www.atdist.com/atdist?k1=BB&k2=BI&h=b0aeb4ff&year=2016)

daddytwosticks
02-23-2016, 17:24
It's a great hike. Love finishing up at the NOC. Good food, beer, and a shower. The NOC will be VERY busy that weekend, especially if that damn tourist train pulls in. :)

saltysack
02-23-2016, 22:33
I started at Standing Indian backcountry kiosk first evening at around 6pm hiked the long branch trail to AT headed north to NOC....camped at Siler bald and at Wesser tower. Good 2~4 day hike. I like to hike not camp when solo so it was perfect 2+ day trip. I didn't find the drop into the NOC that bad....I finished before 10am on third day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-24-2016, 06:56
Its a good part.
2-3 days is about right, depending.
NOC is a great place to arrive and eat a meal by the river.
Something to look forward to.

Kerosene
02-24-2016, 13:05
As noted earlier, an easy 3-day hike or a full 2-day slog. I did this section with my then 20-year old daughter who did just fine. If you're interested, here is a link to my trail journal for that section: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=364109 Again, as noted earlier, there will likely be a lot of day hikers and perhaps a few wanna be thru-hikers over Memorial Day weekend. The views are great, and the balds are pretty accessible by road.

ScareBear
02-25-2016, 14:50
Fine 3 day hike. The downhill to NOC isn't horrible, but about two miles of it are pretty rough and pretty steep downhill. It had rained that night and the downhike to NOC was "interesting".

The food and beer are good and the kayak viewing is free.

saltysack
02-25-2016, 15:11
Fine 3 day hike. The downhill to NOC isn't horrible, but about two miles of it are pretty rough and pretty steep downhill. It had rained that night and the downhike to NOC was "interesting".

The food and beer are good and the kayak viewing is free.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160225/f7fee68ab794289faf3f2fbdb381eba0.jpg

Fun...too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

valeflyfish47
02-25-2016, 21:19
About shoes. Recomendations. Since we're novice to the AT should my wife wear some trail sneakers or some lite weight hiking shoes with some ankle support.

Kerosene
02-26-2016, 10:44
Contrary to popular belief, high-top boots do not provide any appreciable ankle support (although they do provide some tactile feedback as your ankle is about to turn). You would be much better off doing ankle/calf exercises the month before your trip. Unfortunately, I have extensive experience with weak and sprained ankles. If you are going out for only a day or two, then consider Gore-tex or other waterproof/breathable boots. For longer trips, I've given up on GTX and rely on lighter, much more breathable mesh trail runners or lightweight hikers (Inov-8, Montrail, Merrell, Salomon, Garmont, et al) that at least have a chance of drying out when the trail does. Ideally, you get her boots sized and purchased from a reputable outfitter at least a month ahead of your trip. The lightweight boots of today don't need much, if any, break-in time, but you want to make sure that they are comfortable after a few miles of trail walking.

ScareBear
03-06-2016, 07:57
If your feet aren't trail hardened, I would recommend full hiking boots for this section. There is plenty of rock on this section of the trail and you will appreciate having a full Vibram sole and solid last in your boots. The ankle height vs. shoe height "controversy" is pretty hilarious. If you've ever truly rolled an ankle, then you've stretched out your tendons and your are more likely to repeat a true ankle role(one of the more painful things that can happen while hiking). Some people have loose tendons already. Anyway, the only trade-off to me is a bit of weight. A small bit. I've appreciated the full ankle-height boot almost constantly through Georgia, NC and TN. Once the trail flattens out slightly and the rocky road eases up, I'm all for trying the trail runners....

earlyriser26
03-06-2016, 10:21
Sleeping on the Fire tower platform on Wesser was the best night I have ever spent on the trail. You can see forever!

daddytwosticks
03-06-2016, 15:33
Sleeping on the Fire tower platform on Wesser was the best night I have ever spent on the trail. You can see forever!

This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Seems like when the opportunity presented itself in the past, thunderstorms were in the area. Definitely NOT someplace to be during a thunderstrom. :)