PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to find alcohol at resupplies?

ScottP
12-19-2005, 16:01
How easy is it to find alcohol at resupplies? Can you find it at the same place you would buy food, or does it require a special stop at a hardware store? I am thinking of using a zip stove (10 oz, burns wood) to save myself the hassle of making an extra stop every single time I go into town. I figure the extra weight could end up saving time if finding alcohol can be a hassle.
Also, how much does alcohol cost to buy?

Footslogger
12-19-2005, 16:06
It was never really hard to find but sometimes it meant 2 stops. Most often I bought the yellow container of "HEET" and I found that either in the auto section of the grocery store or at the local auto parts store or hardware. Also ...most hostels had denatured alcohol on hand that could be bought by the ounce.

'Slogger

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2005, 17:15
Denatured alcohol (for lightweight or homemade) stoves is available just about everywhere.

Just about all hiker hostels carry it for minimal cost (and sometimes it's free tho you should always leave a donation). Sometimes you'll find it in a Trailside "hiker box" where people leave stuff they don't need for anyone to take.

It's also available at every Trail outfitter, and often, in hardware stores, and sometimes, in motels that hikers stay at. Slogger is correct in saying that workable alternatives are available at convenience stores, small markets, and general stores.

Of the places that sell fuel by the ounce, Denatured is usually available for eight to fifteen cents an ounce, tho on occasion you'll be charged more. Coleman Fuel (or white gas) is available at the same places, tho it generally costs more.

Uncle Silly
12-19-2005, 18:15
For those unaware, straight-up denatured alcohol is often found in the paint section of hardware stores and Wal-marts. HEET is a good alternative. And if you can't find anything else, check pharmacies for isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol -- look for a 90% or higher solution; most rubbing alcohol is only 70% and won't burn as well.

fiddlehead
12-19-2005, 18:29
I think every state is different. in PA you can only buy hard liquor in a state store. But in MD i think you can buy it in grocery stores. The trail goes thru some dry-counties in the bible belt (TN, NC, GA area)
Bacardi's 151 rum and cool aid is a good high potent drink.

Skidsteer
12-19-2005, 18:36
[quote=ScottP]How easy is it to find alcohol at resupplies? Can you find it at the same place you would buy food, or does it require a special stop at a hardware store? I am thinking of using a zip stove (10 oz, burns wood) to save myself the hassle of making an extra stop every single time I go into town. I figure the extra weight could end up saving time if finding alcohol can be a hassle.
Also, how much does alcohol cost to buy?[/quote

Have you tried dropping an alcohol stove in your zipstove? It works pretty well and give you another option if you don't want to scrounge wood or all the available fuel is soaking wet.