PDA

View Full Version : Bear Spray?

mcnuggets
12-19-2005, 16:45
I'm not too fond of black bears. Infact I hate them. Despite being a city boy I've had my fair share of black bear encounters. Every summer since I was young I've stayed in the Mt. Washington Valley. Bears would consistently maul our trash cans to get into the rotting food within. They would drag this smelly trash bag a half mile into the woods and I would be the one who would have to clean up the mess in the morning. When I was 16 I bussed at a nearby resturant and was responsible for taking out the trash. Literally every other night a bear would be by the dumpster. They are incredibly strong. After one night the top of the dumpster, probably 1/16th inch steel, was bent like the bear was opening a can. Another night a big one was up on top of it and would not leave so the resturant owner got into his jeep, floored the horn, and charged the dumpster. He did this 3 or 4 times before the bear eventually got off. Little did we know the bear was hiding right behind it while we quickly tried to throw the bags in. It snarled and rushed me for a few feet. I have never ran so fast in my life. Well anyway I saw these bear sprays on the Discovery Channel one night and am curious if bringing something like that along would be practical? How heavy are they?

soulrebel
12-19-2005, 17:18
http://www.udap.com/defense.htm this has the weights of the net contents but those things are heavy...

We have the clip-on commander, 2.5oz total weight, it has the same concentration as the bear spray- 3.0% capsacin or sometin like dat. My wife has it in her bag since she walks to work, I thought we'd take it on the trail, but it didn't make the cut. It blasts about 5-8 feet at most. Those big ones sure do like like fun--40foot cone blast..

Besides, I figure a nice scar and bear claw necklace would make a better story than, "I chased the bear away by spraying him." :) yuk yuk.

Peaks
12-19-2005, 17:33
Black bears are usually looking for an easy meal. So, rather than carry pepper spray, just practice good bear prevention. When in an area where bears are active, make sure you bear bag your food and other smellable items. Don't cook were you sleep. And minimize food odors.

swift
12-19-2005, 18:01
they also tell you to wear something that makes noise so the bears can hear you coming.... which is why the bear poop on the trail is full of little bells and smells spicy

fiddlehead
12-19-2005, 18:19
YOu don't need bear spray on the AT. The bears will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Don't feed them (unlocked dumpsters in bear country is the same as feeding them) If you have somewhat of a phobia about them, you can carry the extra weight if you really want. But you'll find that virtually no one on the AT carries it or needs it.

BW2006
12-19-2005, 18:55
I live in NJ and we have tons of bears. I find that they are all a bunch of "bums" and are so used to people that they could care a less if you are around. Just make sure you stay away from mama and her cubs. Even then they will probably only bluff charge!!!

stupe
12-19-2005, 19:10
Put garbage out for black bears, and you're going to need more than pepper spray. Maybe it would be better just to practice better sanitation.

HarleyHogPit
12-22-2005, 13:04
When I was 16 I bussed at a nearby resturant and was responsible for taking out the trash. Literally every other night a bear would be by the dumpster.

Sounds like you would get more use out of the bear spray if you were using it at your work than out on the trail. I don't see the harm in taking it with you if it makes you feel better. I will be taking a small one with me. On the trail you may want to use it on people more than bears.

Frosty
12-22-2005, 15:15
I will be taking a small one with me. On the trail you may want to use it on people more than bears.You mean like spray it in a shelter late and night and then run back to your tent real quick before anyone sees you? Yeah, I could see where that would be fun :D

Newb
12-27-2005, 23:27
Spray sucks. Shoot the hairy bastards. Then eat them. Then brag about it.

drsukie
12-28-2005, 00:27
You mean like spray it in a shelter late and night and then run back to your tent real quick before anyone sees you? Yeah, I could see where that would be fun :D

Frosty, you be one wicked man! Do you have citeria, say, a really bad snorer, or someone with mega-gas? :jump Sue

LostInSpace
12-28-2005, 23:45
We have the clip-on commander, 2.5oz total weight, it has the same concentration as the bear spray- 3.0% capsacin or sometin like dat. My wife has it in her bag since she walks to work, I thought we'd take it on the trail, but it didn't make the cut.

Your wife encounters bears on her walk to work??? :D

The ultra-light approach is the Davy Crockette way: just grin down those bears!

RITBlake
12-28-2005, 23:57
by the time you've got your bear spray out, primed and ready to fire... you are already dead. don't bother