PDA

View Full Version : skillet

squeezebox
02-23-2016, 19:10
Does anybody bring a skillet. I bought a cheap T-Fal AL skillet for -$10 . about 6 oz with handle removed. I don't think it's gonna come along hiking. Yes on the bicycle. Probably!! Maybe!!

The Cleaner
02-23-2016, 21:33
Here's a pic of my MSR Duralite non stick skillet.33763It's no longer sold.:confused: Nothing like a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold day.This pan uses the same pot gripper that my MSR cookpot here 33764 uses.The cook pot fits just right inside the skillet,so it doesn't take up hardly any extra space.

Feral Bill
02-23-2016, 21:39
Don't forget to saute a small onion to go with whatever, or warm some peperoni slices, or heat a pop tart, or... I use a lid from my ancient pot set. Also, note the value of a real stove, as per The Cleaner.

SWODaddy
02-23-2016, 22:09
Great low weight option:

"Trangia Minitrangia Non-Stick Fry Pan"

1. Just threw it on the scale - weight is 2.6oz.
2. Diameter is the same as the Evernew 1.3L pot and you can use it as a lid (note that there's no handle - you'll need to add a pot gripper of some sort).
3. Works perfectly with my Evernew 1.3L Caldera Cone (can't take credit for figuring this out - there's a picture on the Trail Designs website.
4. Cost is $10.43 on Amazon.
5. Has a real non-stick surface - you can actually cook an egg on this.

The Cleaner
02-23-2016, 22:30
When you're out cold weather backpacking,anything hot is much better.I've even carried a few eggs for the 2nd day's breakfast.When you have a real stove,skillet and cook pot your menu can be much more than just freeze dried or noodle side dishes.After backpacking for over 30 years,one needs to find different foods to eat.A few square inch green scrub pad and some Dr.Bonner's soap is all it takes to clean up.It will take a little extra fuel to heat water for cleaning your pans but some things aren't for the gram counters.IMO many thru hikers lately just eat crappy trail food and pig out in trail towns,hiker feeds or other options which weren't available 20 years ago.

Black Viper
02-24-2016, 21:47
Yes! After years of only FBC, I recently purchased an MSR Flex Skillet http://www.amazon.com/MSR-Flex-Skillet/dp/B0041S5VS8 and love it. It is truly non-stick, which makes cleaning a breeze. So far I have made potato pancakes (powdered mix), scrambled eggs (OvaEasy), and even baked blueberry cinnamon bread. It is bulky for sure if you're already carrying another pot. But mine has 1.5 L capacity, so you could technically carry it as your only pot and still be able to boil plenty of water. If cooking for two, I don't hesitate to bring it, because the other person can carry it while I'm carrying the Evernew 0.9, fuel, and stove.

steelfly
04-24-2016, 12:26
I am sure I willbe lambasted by ULErs but I use the 13 oz GSI Pinnacle 8" pan with aluminum sheets (Costco) if a I need a lid. Makes great savory leek pancakes, eggs on short trips, fries up dry salami, makes quesadillas,
and can really get a couple of trout nice and crispy. It wipes cleans easily. I got it to fry up trout on the JMT. My hiking buddy brings a jet boil and I bring the pan with a back up Amazon $14, Chinese 1 oz stove. It works and adds a lot of versatility to augment freezer bag dinners.

garlic08
04-24-2016, 16:42
Lightweight skillets are fairly easy to come by in hiker boxes along the start of the AT.

RockDoc
04-25-2016, 00:20
I think a skillet is a great idea. It will help you to have a more satisfying diet with real food like eggs, meat, and vegetables, which will also jump start fat burning as opposed to sugar burning (=fat storage, sickness, and chronic hunger).

But the smell of your food cooking will make the pop tart - carbage eating people cry...

Dochartaigh
04-26-2016, 16:32
I use a Toaks 145mm (5.7") frying pan. Only $20 and 2.34 ounces including a handle. Not non-stick, but never had a problem with anything I cooked on it (which is mostly eggs, hotdogs, sausage, pizza biscuits, etc.).

Jeronimo!
04-26-2016, 18:28
I carried a frying pan all the way during my thru last year , it enabled me to cook real food . Bacon , eggs , fried spam , you name it

Greenlight
04-26-2016, 18:45
Cleaner,

Twenty years ago. Has the trail and the businesses along it evolved that much since then? I'm a newbie to the thought of thru-hiking the AT, but don't know much about that aspect of it. I bought a JetBoil Flash like a lot of other people, and was thinking that I'd freezer bag dehydrated foods along the trail and as you said, pig out when I get to trail towns. I can cook. I've worked as a short order cook, etc. and would probably eat seven meals a day on the trail if I could carry all of that food with me. What do you think? Should I stick with the JetBoil idea or consider a full ultralite pot and skillet set?

When you're out cold weather backpacking,anything hot is much better.I've even carried a few eggs for the 2nd day's breakfast.When you have a real stove,skillet and cook pot your menu can be much more than just freeze dried or noodle side dishes.After backpacking for over 30 years,one needs to find different foods to eat.A few square inch green scrub pad and some Dr.Bonner's soap is all it takes to clean up.It will take a little extra fuel to heat water for cleaning your pans but some things aren't for the gram counters.IMO many thru hikers lately just eat crappy trail food and pig out in trail towns,hiker feeds or other options which weren't available 20 years ago.