PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP Permit

dbright
02-24-2016, 13:17
Is anyone having problems with obtaining a permit today. I have tried to get on the web site to register for my Thru hike and it says that the site can not be found.

Rain Man
02-24-2016, 13:20
Can't help much if you don't post the URL you are attempting to contact.

But sites are often down for maintenance temporarily. Think Yahoo, FB, and the like. They "can not be found" on occasion.

Perhaps you can just try later today or tomorrow?

dbright
02-24-2016, 13:23
https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/

This is the web site

this is the error Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

StarMan
02-24-2016, 13:31
Yep, even the link on the NPS site is down or the link is broken for some un-known reason. Guess you could call them or wait till the IT person does something.....

Lburghiker
02-24-2016, 13:41
4 yrs ago they still had the lock box at the entrance of the park at Fontana. If you came get it ahead of time. You just put your money in the box and filled out a permit. It gives you 5 days to go thru park.

dbright
02-24-2016, 13:48
That is not how it works any longer. You have to pay for the permit and print it out and only have 8 days to get through the park. You can get the permit up to 30 days ahead of time

HooKooDooKu
02-24-2016, 15:04
4 yrs ago they still had the lock box at the entrance of the park at Fontana. If you came get it ahead of time. You just put your money in the box and filled out a permit. It gives you 5 days to go thru park.
The changed the system about 2 years ago. For both thru-hikers and general pack packers, you must now get and pay for a permit online to camp in the GSMNP.

It used to be that you only had to contact camp reservations ahead of time and get a reservation if you were staying at one of the rationed camp sites. Otherwise, you just filled out a permit at any ranger station and started hiking.

But the new system treats every campsite as a rationed campsite that you have to have a reservation for and pay a $4/person/night fee. (This is for general back packers).

If you are an AT thru-hiker (by GSMNP definition, that is someone starting and ending their hike at least 50 miles outside of GSMNP), then its a $20 permit and you have 8 days to get thru the park.

dbright
02-24-2016, 15:15
just talk to the NPS and they know about the problem and they are working on the issue. He said try again later tonight or tomorrow or get it while I am on the trail at the NOC or Fontana Dam

KDogg
02-25-2016, 08:40
Do you have to print the permit out or can you have it digitally?

ATL Backpacker
02-25-2016, 09:07
Do you have to print the permit out or can you have it digitally?

print and carry last I heard

Sandy of PA
02-25-2016, 10:31
Print and carry because part of it gets put in the box as you enter the park. No one is standing there to check your permit.

Alligator
02-25-2016, 10:41
I was able to start a reservation, seems fixed.