PDA

View Full Version : Ways to save money for a thru-hike?

soulrebel
12-19-2005, 17:05
I thought I'd start a thread on how folks have been saving money for the big trip. I know for most it means cutting out a fast-food meal or perhaps many many bologna sandwiches, but some people take up an extra job. Starting today, I'm one of those people.

On the radio, I heard an offer to deliver phone books for the telephone company. I got the wise idea, that this would be a great way to get in shape and earn some money (I drive a desk during the week). So I called them up and found that the telephone book warehouse is only about 100yards off my daily commute to my regular job.
So, I went by there today and did the 15min video training, picked up my materials, looked at the routes, and whaddya know? My whole neighborhood and running routes are available. There's actually about $2000 worth of phone book delivery within 1 mile of my house. My first load is an apt complex across the street from my house. It pays $120 for 437 drops. They said I might even get lucky at the apt complexes b/c sometimes they ask you to leave all of them right there at the management office...

I loaded my car up and just need to bag the books and go over there and start walking... Old external frame jansport pack might get pulled out...and placed on my wife to help--lmao!!!

They actually have my apt complex as a part of a larger route--paid around $300-400-I'll tackle that if this one goes well.

Anyways, that's it-- maybe it'll even be fun... it's not even financially necessary for me to do this, but it seemed too good of a deal to pass up.

they're coming to your town soon.

Any other quick, no-obligation money makers or money savers?

*most routes take 1-3 days and pay $100-$500

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2005, 17:10
What a good idea!!

In addition to wisely thinking about making extra money BEFORE you leave, there are all sorts of ways to save money once you've started.

Weathercarrot's advice on Hiking on a Budget can be found in the "Articles" section of this site is excellent and I suggest you check it out.

ScottP
12-19-2005, 17:15
quit drinking

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2005, 17:18
quit drinking

yep that ole demon alykhol is responsible for many costs in our society far above just the price of the cheap likker.

wren
12-19-2005, 17:20
I worked at a ski resort the winter before my thru. Got in great shape snowboarding every day and saved $ in the process.

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2005, 17:30
I worked at a ski resort the winter before my thru. Got in great shape snowboarding every day and saved $ in the process.

my son Smokymtnred is working for Chena Hot Springs for the season,,making good money, doesn't have to pay rent or utilities, and meals are provided, doesn't drive to work, as it is just a short 5 minutes walk to his job, (but it's 65 miles to the nearest town), so yea thats a good way to save some cash for a hike, (or a springtime trip to Paris).

they are looking for additional help this winter.

http://www.chenahotsprings.com/employ.html

A-Train
12-19-2005, 17:49
Im in the same boat now, working, and saving for the PCT. There are many simple ways to save money. Don't go out to eat much, dont see movies (so expensive), cut back on drinking, dont buy silly things you dont need, etc. Some people could probably fund their hikes by cutting out things like a few cups of coffee a day, a pack of cigarettes, or magazines.

I'm blowing up and framing some of my trail pictures to sell to friends and family at our holiday party. Really cheap, just a way to make a little amount of money here and there.

The AT can be done very cheaply, and you don't need to sacrifice fun and experiences in the process. WC's list IS good. Split motels 4 ways, stay in hostels, buy your food at big groceries along the way, share laundry, look in hiker boxes, do short days into and out of town avoiding a sleepover, use homeade/used gear etc. Seriously trail life is cheap and can be done comfortably for way less than 3000 bucks, even 2000 IMO. The biggest expenses i've witnessed the last 3 yrs on the trail by other hikers are: extra new gear they don't really need, booze, CIGARETTES!, staying in town too many nights, eating fancy meals, and finally, lots of sidetrips that call for transportation. A lot of folks seem to stretch their hikes out by going to weddings, taking a week at the beach, going home, going to a concert, a 4th of july party weekend, a festival, trail days, other hiker feeds, etc. This seems like a good way to blow extra money as your not hiking, but spending money on food, drink, possibly lodging and transportation.

It can be done and many have done it. Just stay motivated and you'll have no problem. Remember shelters and tents are free!

Johnny Swank
12-19-2005, 18:16
That is the single best way to save money on the hike. As to beforehand, go on a vow of poverty and don't spend a dime on something you don't have to. Never eat out. Stop drinking (I know, I know), go on an Ebay binge, etc. Cutting out all the little stuff really adds up quickly.

smokymtnsteve
12-19-2005, 18:28
florist are ALWAYS looking for additional help for the VD period...

plus your spreading LOVE :clap

also catering businesses during the holidays.

check and see if Craigslist.com is in your city...moving gigs pay well.

TwoForty
12-19-2005, 20:53
You can make decent money as a part time waiter. Try not to deliver pizza. it's good cash, but hell on your car.
Eat cheap. Don't smoke, eat out, or drink. No fancy $4 coffee drinks either.
Ride your bike to work when it's warm. Good exercise too.

Speer Carrier
12-19-2005, 21:35
In a way, I sort of envy some of you young guys, probably just out of school, or whatever, talking about ways to save money for the hike. When I was getting out of college in 1965, I'd never even heard of the Appalachian Trail much less thought about saving money to hike it.

Instead, I got married, went to work, and had kids. Now 40 years later, I'm retired, and could thru-hike at my leasure, staying one to a room in a motel in each trail town if I wanted to. Within reason, the expense of the trip would be of no concern.

So let me throw my two cents in. One way to save money for the thru-hike is to work hard for 40 years, put two kids through college, put away the max in an IRA, or 401K, and then when you retire you can go in style.

Whistler
12-19-2005, 22:34
One way, of course, is to cut your general spending. Writing down every penny you spend is a huge step towards just being aware of where your money is going, and helps you think twice about pulling out the wallet.

A huge place to save money is food. Generic instead of Nabisco. Find some coupons. Basic, healthy meals are generally cheaper, unless you go off the organic deep end. Make your lunch at home instead of buying it. Try to cut the morning coffee or late night bowls of cereal [my achilles heel].

I agree with the Craigslist idea. You can find all sorts of odd-jobs. Moving, hauling, leaf-raking, focus groups. If you live near a college you might be able to volunteer for some of those psychology tests. Also, it's a good time to sort through the junk you've accumulated in life and see if anything is worth selling or donating. Even if you don't make money, you'll reduce your material attachments.
-Mark

ScottP
12-19-2005, 22:56
For the most part you won't find moving jobs in the winter.

You could do medical testing or donate plasma, but those can take a toll on you.

Sly
12-19-2005, 23:22
I originally started with Bank of America when I knew I'd be hiking out West and wanted the convenience of having many ATM's. Now that you can get cashback at many stores without a fee, that convenience isn't as important now. I still love their online banking and it's great for automatically paying bills especially if you're away from home.

What they've recently started is "Keep the Change" where anytime you use your checkcard Visa as a debitcard they'll automatically round up the dollar amount and add it to your savings. For example, say I spent $10. 23 they'll deduct $11.00 with $.77 going into my savings. What's more after the 1st year (great for '07 hikers) they'll match the 1st $250.00 equally and give you 5% for savings above that.

Sly
12-19-2005, 23:28
Speaking of ODD jobs, when I 1st started saving for the AT, I sold plasma and made enough money so I could buy a $450 Dana Design Terraplane 10th Anniversity in about 6 months!

rusty075
12-20-2005, 01:25
I found a way to both save money, and train at the same time: I sold my car. :)

Granted, I live close enough to work that I didn't normally drive anyway, but not having the option to drive has really changed the way I define "walking distance". For example, the nearest grocery store is a mile and a half away, and the farmers market is about a mile. I always used to drive to both locations...but now I think nothing of walking over there and coming back with a backpack full of groceries. Plus carrying everything home on your back really makes you rethink what you buy..no more cases of beer and soda.

JP
12-20-2005, 08:42
At the end of the day, put your change in a can. Dont use it for anything, put it in a bank from time to time to keep it out of your reach.

The Hog
12-20-2005, 09:17
Recycle (saves on trash disposal fees).

Shut the computer down when it's not in use.

Eliminate junk food from your diet.

Buy spices (and flour and oats, etc) in bulk at your local food coop.

Combine trips to the P.O. with other shopping.

Dump health club fees, get your exercise for free. Walking, jogging, cross country skiing, whatever, do it nearly every day. Staying healthy saves money.

Drink water out of the tap, chuck $1.29 bottled water.

Get your books and magazines at the library.

Drive a car that gets the best (or near the best) gas mileage. Run it into the ground.

Minimize your medications and your recreational drugs.

Smoking is an insane waste of money. If you smoke, quit. You'll be saving lots of money, and you'll be doing yourself and your loved ones a world of good.

Moxie00
12-20-2005, 12:54
:clap I quit smoking several years before my thru. I kept track of what I would have spent on cigatettes and put it in a jar. When the jar got full I put it in a special account in my bank. When I left for Georgia I had almost $4000. I spent $2500 on my hike including equipment purchased along the trail, all my food and lodging on town days. Also with clean lungs I had a better hike, ( I smoked 2 packs a day for 37 years and managed to hike the entire trail with both asthma and emphysema):banana

MOREHEAD
12-20-2005, 14:01
I put $100 from every paycheck into an AT thru-hike fund. as soon as I have enough to pay the mortgage for 6 months I will be ready.
Both my wife and I walk to work so cars are not an expense.

fiddlehead
12-20-2005, 14:25
Cook yourself and drink only water. You can live doing this for $5 a day if you buy your bread etc. at flea markets/bargain stores.
But work, work, work is what i did before my 1st thru. (not that i ever stopped) I worked construction which not only pays good but gets you in shape.
Christmas time is an easy time to make money if you sell ANYTHING. People will buy almost anything if the price is right. I know folks who collect sage and cedar and wrap them up with twine and sell them to the Indians (and other people) for $5 each! Or whatever. Just get out there and work. When i'm home, i'm doing landscaping, carpentry,painting, selling retail (many things), playing in bars at night, and selling my movies.
It's not hard to make enough money to hike the AT. especially if you eat mac & cheese, and grits and tuna and stay out of bars.

Alligator
12-20-2005, 15:11
Brew your own beer. It's a great compromise:sun .

ZEKE #2
12-20-2005, 15:30
I will be taking a low interent loan on my 401(k) account during my 6 month leave of absence. I don't get penalized and pay a very low interest rate. I am paying off as much debt as I can. I need to make sure that household expenses are covered while I am gone. I am also saving $ so that my husband can meet me at a trail town once a month, or as often as he can.

I envy the young souls that have chosen to do this at a young age before children, mortages, college tuitions and the likes. But then again, what a grand way to start out the "first day of the rest of my life".

betic4lyf
12-20-2005, 17:17
if you garden, compost heap, to go along with recycling. also bikes get you anywhere

dje97001
12-20-2005, 23:47
Prioritize and live below your means. Make sure that you are living well but not too expensively (get excited by "cheap" thrills--a dollar menu frosty at Wendy's). If you are married or split living expenses with a roommate, try to live off of one income and put the second one (or as much as possible) into savings.

We've been planning and saving for a couple of years now and should be a little more flexible budget-wise once we start. Of course we won't have much in reserve whenever we finish... but that is the price for the opportunity of a lifetime.

Frosty
12-20-2005, 23:53
get excited by "cheap" thrills--a dollar menu frosty.Although I've been called cheap, it has been a long while since I actually thrilled anyone :D

hammock engineer
12-21-2005, 00:53
I got a job as a server. Lots of running around and carrying trays of food around. I'm planning a second job soon.

If you need to find a new job after you get back, try to pay an extra month or two in advance before you leave. I am headed SOBO in June and trying to have everything paid through January. That way you don't have to find a job right away and worry about money when you get back.

Pennsylvania Rose
12-21-2005, 10:10
Sell the house and everything in it...including the two cats, one dog, and five kids.

That was a joke :)

Pennsylvania Rose
12-21-2005, 10:21
Really, all of these tips above describe how everyone should live every day. If you want to get a handle on your finances, and have your money work for you, instead of the other way around, you should read Your Money or Your Life by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin. It helps you figure out what you really earn at your job; equates your salary with how much life energy you're giving to earn each dollar; and, most importantly, helps you decide what is "enough". I think anyone who wants to hike the whole Trail has these same ideas floating around in their head. This book just lets you come up with a concrete, directed plan to live your life the way you want to.

timhines
12-21-2005, 11:15
If you work in an office, don't go out for lunch. I know a guy that ate Ramen noodles for a year so he could buy a brand new Trek bike.

He's a better man than I am.

fiddlehead
12-21-2005, 11:44
If you're anything like me, You probably won't want to work for someone else after your thru-hike.
You will most likely learn to think and work for yourself.
That way you can take off to hike when you make the time to do so.
(like every summer!)

K-Man
12-22-2005, 12:21
I stopped eating out at lunch. It's hard on my social life here, but I cut down from like $10-15/day on lunch to like $2/day. Now that really adds up. For a month I counted every penny I spent and was amazed at how much went to food and beer!! I cut down on the food part, but I like beer too much.

QHShowoman
12-22-2005, 12:27
I got a part-time job at an outfitters. My paychecks are deposited into my NY bank account (the bank has no branches/ATMs in my area), so I never see it/touch it. Additionally, I get a generous employee discount, so that will cut my gear expenses down by half.