PDA

View Full Version : How to get from Cheaha Loop to Cheaha Mountain

cuiquentin
02-24-2016, 14:59
Hello, all!

Looking to backpack the Cheaha Loop (parts of the Pinhoti, Chinnabee Silent, and Skyway Loop trails) in March. I would really like to check out Cheaha Mountain without having to drive there after the hike. Anybody know the shortest distance between any point on the Cheaha Loop and the Cheaha Trailhead? Thanks!

clusterone
02-24-2016, 15:50
There is another loop to the east of the Cheaha Loop that runs up to the Cheaha Trailhead. Both loops are outstanding. Check out –

https://www.google.com/search?q=cave+creek+nubbin+cheaha+trailhead+map&espv=2&biw=1536&bih=879&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjNsaCklZHLAhXkJZoKHaR8DV0Q_AUIBygC#imgr c=fOu9zYeZy--MUM%3A

clusterone
02-24-2016, 15:50
Better link - http://www.examiner.com/list/seven-top-trails-the-talladega-national-forest

perdidochas
02-24-2016, 16:00
Hello, all!

Looking to backpack the Cheaha Loop (parts of the Pinhoti, Chinnabee Silent, and Skyway Loop trails) in March. I would really like to check out Cheaha Mountain without having to drive there after the hike. Anybody know the shortest distance between any point on the Cheaha Loop and the Cheaha Trailhead? Thanks!

I think your best bet is to driver there after the hike.

SouthMark
02-24-2016, 16:20
Your shortest route without driving is to hike there on the Pinhoti, 6 miles, from Little Caney Head. It will be on your loop at the intersection of the Pinhoti and the Chinabee. Hike back to Little Caney Head via the Cave Creek, Nuben Creek, Odom Scout Trail.

cuiquentin
02-24-2016, 16:34
@clusterone Sounds interesting; can you give me more details?

edu
02-25-2016, 13:22
The loop I plan on hiking this spring starts on Cheaha Mountain in the park.

Take the trail down to Cheaha Lake (I think it is called the Rock Garden Trail). It is lot of elevation drop, but better to start your hike with that then finish going up.

From Cheaha Lake follow the paved road (Cheaha Road?)Southwest to one of the unpaved forestry roads.

Take the forestry road south until it intersects the Chinnabee Silent. Go West on the Chinnabee to Chinnabee Lake.

From Chinnabee Lake take Skyway Loop until it intersects the Pinhoti.

Take the Pinhoti all the way back to Cheaha Trailhead and then hike back into the park.

I don't know if the park will allow us to leave a car in the park. If it is a problem, I'll use the Cheaha Trailhead as a the Start/Finish.

Not sure of the actual distance, but I'm guessing about 20-22 miles, versus 16-17 for the basic Chinnabee/Skyway/Pinhoti Loop

SouthMark
02-25-2016, 13:36

Take the trail down to Cheaha Lake (I think it is called the Rock Garden Trail). It is lot of elevation drop, but better to start your hike with that then finish going up.

From Cheaha Lake follow the paved road (Cheaha Road?)Southwest to one of the unpaved forestry roads.

Take the forestry road south until it intersects the Chinnabee Silent. Go West on the Chinnabee to Chinnabee Lake.

Take the Pinhoti all the way back to Cheaha Trailhead and then hike back into the park.

I don't know if the park will allow us to leave a car in the park. If it is a problem, I'll use the Cheaha Trailhead as a the Start/Finish.

Not sure of the actual distance, but I'm guessing about 20-22 miles, versus 16-17 for the basic Chinnabee/Skyway/Pinhoti Loop

You can leave your car in the parking lot behind the park store.

perdidochas
02-25-2016, 17:06

A couple miles from Adams Gap (which is close to where the Skyway loop meets the Pinhoti), is the ill-named "Stairway to Heaven." Approximately 900 ft elevation gain in 1/2 mile on the map--switchbacks over and through a rock garden. Just be warned.

edu
02-26-2016, 15:26
A couple miles from Adams Gap (which is close to where the Skyway loop meets the Pinhoti), is the ill-named "Stairway to Heaven." Approximately 900 ft elevation gain in 1/2 mile on the map--switchbacks over and through a rock garden. Just be warned.

I've done the basic loop a couple of time, including the Stairway. To me, its one of the more enjoyable/satisfying parts of the hike.

swisscross
02-26-2016, 15:59
I've done the basic loop a couple of time, including the Stairway. To me, its one of the more enjoyable/satisfying parts of the hike.

I think that the accent up to Little Caney from the CST is harder than Stairway.

cuiquentin
03-11-2016, 09:56
@SouthMark is this 6 miles roundtrip (from the loop and back to it)?

SouthMark
03-11-2016, 09:59
@SouthMark is this 6 miles roundtrip (from the loop and back to it)?

12 miles roundtrip