PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike - Beginning at Start of Trail in Georgia

mml373
02-24-2016, 15:31
I am considering taking a week of work next month to section hike (really an out and back), beginning at Springer Mtn. Was wondering if there is a place to leave a vehicle there for approximately one week (no more than 7 nights).

As I live in the St. Louis metropolitan area, it seems there is no really close place to hit the AT for me...lots of places on the trail are about the same driving time away (9ish hours). Is there any other place I should consider for a "section hike" out and back?

Thanks in advance.

bigcranky
02-24-2016, 16:58
OK, so a few things come to mind.

1. Yes, plenty of safe parking at the Amicalola Falls State Park HQ building. You can get to the AT by hiking the ~9 mile Approach Trail to Springer Mountain. Check in at the HQ and give them your car details.

2. No reason to do an out and back unless you really want to; you can easily get a shuttle from wherever you decide to stop hiking, back to your car, for a reasonable price.

3. The trail will be pretty crowded in Georgia in March.

If you want other options, you could hike the Mt Rogers section in southwest Virginia - easy to get to from St Louis, just drive east on I-70 to Charleston, WV, and take I-77 to I-81. Park in Damascus, VA, and get a ride to the Mt Rogers HQ building. It's a ~65 mile, 6-7 day walk back to your car. One of the nicest sections in the Southeast, in my opinion.

Abatis1948
02-24-2016, 17:10
+ 1 on all Bigcranky posted above. My first section was from Amicalola State Park to Neel Gap. Our truck was left at the park and was safe the whole time. The only problem was it rained the whole trip, but it was still a great trip.

Gambit McCrae
02-25-2016, 08:25
+ 1 on all Bigcranky posted above. My first section was from Amicalola State Park to Neel Gap. Our truck was left at the park and was safe the whole time. The only problem was it rained the whole trip, but it was still a great trip.

+2 for big cranky- for a 9 day shuttle 100 miles is doable and trip would end around albert mountain. A shuttle of tha length would be around $100. To me and most anybody, that would be better then re walking all the mountains again, and only getting to SEE half as much for your 9 hour drive. 18 hours total. You could contact Ron Brown, I always recommend him for a shuttle and he works more or less 24/7.

a second thought, If you intend to do this every year, start in Georgia and work north. If this is a once in a few years or one time deal, I might suggest picking another section. There are many other sections out there that would be less strenuous, and have more reward.

woozycatalyst
02-25-2016, 14:42
In the same boat - leaving St. Louis on March 11th for our first section hike of the AT. We plan on making this an annual event so are starting from Springer and leaving our car at Dicks Creek Gap. Ron Brown is shuttling us from our car to the start.

I'll be hiking with my family (including a 11 and 15 yr old) so am planning on doing this section in 8 days, but I'm guessing this could be done in 7 days (~70 miles if skip approach, ~79 miles if do the approach) if that fits your schedule better.