PDA

View Full Version : Rachel Carson Trail Challenge

reh1966
12-19-2005, 17:24
I did a search here and came up empty. A friend told me about this challenge and it caught my interest. Since I live in SW Virginia and this is in the Pittsburgh area I thought I would come to you for input. The challenge is 34 miles in 16 hours and will be on June 24, 2006. This trail is at least 6 hours from here so checking it out is somewhat of a logistic issue. If you can help with the following that would be great.

1. Have you done this and what is your take?

2. How would you rate the trail as to difficulty/conditions?

3. What special preparations would you make for this type of event?

4. Do you know of any other good sites for tips on long distance hiking?

Thanks for the help and any input is appreciated.

REH1966

Spirit Walker
12-19-2005, 18:23
I haven't done this, but I think the trail is mostly a roadwalk. Here is a link to a trail description: http://www.rachelcarsontrails.org/rct/

Have you done any really long hikes before? More than 25 miles can be a real challenge.

PATC used to sponsor some endurance events - but I think that has been discontinued after someone fell and died on one of the events. Living in southern Virginia, if you can get hold of a free newspaper known as "Blue Ridge Outdoors" that is usually found in outdoor stores - they have ads and articles about various endurance events. Usually running - but not always. It usually has a couple of good articles on hiking.

Lone Wolf
12-20-2005, 16:27
34 miles in 16 hours? That's pretty slow walking. Is this a race? What's the challenge of it?

DeskJockey
12-20-2005, 16:33
1. Have you done this and what is your take?
2. How would you rate the trail as to difficulty/conditions?
3. What special preparations would you make for this type of event?
4. Do you know of any other good sites for tips on long distance hiking?
REH1966

1. I have not personally done the challange, but I have been on many sections of this trail. I know of 6 people who have done this challange that last year, and two the previous year. If you like black toe nails and sore legs this this the challange to do.

2. The trail goes through a few parks and residential areas. It follows a few utility right or ways. The trail is in decent shape but does get muddy in a few places due to streams and wet spots. Like the Pittsburgh area it is very hilly. This is where you will get your black toe nails and sore legs. I think one of them do his GPSr with him and has a track of the route.

3. Everyone that I know who did this challage went on the training hikes. This enables you do know the whole trail because it isn't marked well in sections and to let your body to know what to expect...

reh1966
12-20-2005, 17:07
From what I have read the point is to complete it in the allotted time. It is supported so carrying a full pack isn't necessary but reading it appears to still be a significant challenge. I have hiked the AT in the Damascus area and Burkes Garden but have never done that kind of mileage. Hopefully I will be able to get several training hikes in my area prior. If not I am not even going to try it.

REH1966

dug
12-20-2005, 19:38
I have hiked part of this trial and it is up mountain to another. it looks mostly like gas line clearings. But it is a hard trial. or at least for a out of shape hiker like me.:) LOL. Dug PGH Pa

dug
12-20-2005, 19:44
If you want a race in Pa try the laurel highlands ultra. it's a 70 mile race in the mountians:cool:

MOREHEAD
12-21-2005, 07:43
If you want a race in Pa try the laurel highlands ultra. it's a 70 mile race in the mountians:cool:

I have done this race, very challenging with lots of pointy rocks. finished in around 16 hours as I recall. Iron City beer at the finish.

Burn
12-27-2005, 11:12
morehead is there a map or something that could be looked up to do this in winter such as new years day? I'm bored and like to hike to end the year...a local bike trail is all I've found here locally, so I've been thinking of going somewhere here in Ohio or over to the AT in PA for since that is a short a week. Since that is a short trail, I coould go back to work, like normal people.