PDA

View Full Version : Hiker's Pantry : Do you have one ?

johnnybgood
02-24-2016, 21:09
Where do you store your hiking food and Kitchen Cookware stuff at home ? Have you designated a place such as a food pantry and do you generally restock it after every hiking trip ? How about the basic gear ; same location or different ?

Rocket Jones
02-24-2016, 21:46
I have a couple of small plastic bins with lids that hold all my dehydrated food and powders. I also have a small bin in the freezer with some trail food in it to extend its storage life.

Feral Bill
02-24-2016, 22:09
Big plastic bucket with lid for food. Nearby shelf for cooking gear. All in a large dry basement.

RangerZ
02-24-2016, 22:39
My 92 year old house has two coal cellars. One is full of "stuff", the other is our bulk pantry. My backpacking food is on shelves in plastic bins and jars. Basement stays cool year around, I can drink soda right off the shelf.

My underused 3rd floor attic bathroom is my gear closet. Pack and stuff in the bathtub, clothes on hangers on the towel racks and hooks. Bins on the floor.

CamelMan
02-25-2016, 11:59
I have a set of wire metal shelves where I keep my "stockpile" of canned and dry foods. Since I eat a lot of the same things (e.g. canned tomatoes almost every day) I buy extra whenever there is a sale to keep the average price lower.

RockDoc
02-25-2016, 12:06
It's the same food that we eat on a daily basis.
Don't eat dead dry processed preserved FRANKENfood.

The best advice, either at home or hiking is: Don't eat anything that won't rot or mold. That means it is REAL FOOD.