PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite time of day on the trail?

Acacia
02-25-2016, 03:46
In addition to hiking through a forest or up on a mountain far away from the noise and busyness of civilization, my favorite time of day on the trail is the very end, when I've finished having dinner and cleaning up, after having brushed my teeth and doing a sponge bath, after making myself comfortable in my sleeping bag, feeling fresh and clean (if that's possible), and if not too exhausted, settling into a good book by the light of my headlamp . . . . ahhh. . . bliss. . . .

hubcap
02-25-2016, 05:59
While I do enjoy the evening time, and a good book myself. My favorite time is to wake just before dawn and watch the sunrise. I enjoy laying in my hammock, tarp out in porch mode facing East, and seeing the first hints of dawn come across the sky.

SteelCut
02-25-2016, 06:10
Definitely sunrise.

runt13
02-25-2016, 08:02
In the morning, after a light snow, in my Hammock, watching the sun rise.

RUNT ''13''

Cookerhiker
02-25-2016, 08:07
Early morning

Cheyou
02-25-2016, 08:08
Bourbon time !

cmoulder
02-25-2016, 08:12
I also like early morning, in high summer being on the trail just before sunrise.

The only downside is that I'm the first one to encounter the spider webs that were constructed overnight.

Traveler
02-25-2016, 08:48
For me, the period of time I get up until I retire is my favorite time of day. There are things I enjoy each hour that can be different from the hour(s) before. Since being on a trail is in the moment, pretty much any moment is my most enjoyable.

map man
02-25-2016, 08:58
My favorite time is the first hour of walking -- that usually starts about an hour after first light for me. The physical activity of walking gets those "feel good" substances perking in my body and in that first hour the possibilities for my day can seem limitless.

saltysack
02-25-2016, 09:05
Anytime!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianLe
02-25-2016, 10:28
I'm for the early morning too. I love feeling the world waking up around me as I walk, me full of energy and with a whole day of hiking ahead.

This is more of a 'summer hiking' thing, however; early morning is somewhat less comfortable from late fall through early spring!

Slo-go'en
02-25-2016, 10:54
I've never been a "morning person". I hate having to get up at dawn in the summer to beat the heat. I like hiking in the evening as the sun is getting low in the sky and the shadows are getting long.

bigcranky
02-25-2016, 11:42
Very early morning, pre-dawn even, on the trail by myself. It's cool, quiet, and the light is fabulous. Plus that's a good time to see wildlife.

DavidNH
02-25-2016, 11:43
late afternoon because I am at camp and hiking is done for the day!

lonehiker
02-25-2016, 11:47
I'm the one that clears the cobwebs for the late risers. Though I must confess that I look forward to finally meeting someone coming the opposite direction...

chknfngrs
02-25-2016, 11:53
Pulling into camp

archie
02-25-2016, 11:56
In real life I am not a morning person. At all. Sunsets are my thing.

On the trail, it is a different story. My favorite time to hike is the period from first light through sunrise until an hour or so after sunrise. At home, this time comes too early for me to truly enjoy but in the woods it is just magical and I rarely miss it.

tiptoe
02-25-2016, 12:52
Early morning is certainly special, but my favorite thing is lying in my hammock as day changes to night. It's like the whole world is on a dimmer switch. I listen to the birds and the rustle of the wind. Yes, it all happens happens off the trail, too, but I'm usually busy with other things at that time.

DuneElliot
02-25-2016, 12:52
I'm not a morning person, and I hate getting up early, but I do find that my favorite time of day is pre-dawn. For hiking (or riding) I prefer an our or two after sun-up during the summer, and a little later for early fall.

Lyle
02-25-2016, 13:48
Another very early morning, before sun up - as soon as it's light enough to see. SOOO peaceful and the body is feeling great!

Acacia
02-25-2016, 16:30
I feel like I'm missing out! Looks like early morning is most everyone's favorite. Somehow, I need to re-set my circadian clock, as I usually feel foggy brained early morning. Maybe getting used to waking up real early long before a hiking trip starts . . .

rickb
02-25-2016, 19:35
While I do enjoy the evening time, and a good book myself. My favorite time is to wake just before dawn and watch the sunrise. I enjoy laying in my hammock, tarp out in porch mode facing East, and seeing the first hints of dawn come across the sky.

I am a crepuscular sort myself.

Kaptainkriz
02-25-2016, 19:37
...that time before dawn when the owls go nuts!

Malto
02-25-2016, 19:48
Just before dawn and right at sunset. If I had to pick one it would be dawn. When I'm properly motivated I like to get on the trail the moment when I can barely make out the trail without a headlamp. Oh, one more, night hiking under a full moon.

daveiniowa
02-25-2016, 20:12
Reading all these makes me want to be on the trail in the early morning... late afternoon, and sunset too.

I love making breakfast and thinking of the day ahead, especially if I make a fire in the morning. I love a camp fire in the morning. Warms me up as I drink my hot chocolate and think "man, I am really out here doing this". My problem is I end up sitting there way too long and then by the time I get on the trail I wonder why it is so late and I will never make it to my next camp site by dark...

Feral Bill
02-25-2016, 20:26
Nap time, between making camp and dinner.

Lyle
02-25-2016, 20:41
I feel like I'm missing out! Looks like early morning is most everyone's favorite. Somehow, I need to re-set my circadian clock, as I usually feel foggy brained early morning. Maybe getting used to waking up real early long before a hiking trip starts . . .

I don't mean to imply that getting out of bed before dawn is easy, I have to force myself to do it. Getting older, and the earlier and more insistent nature calls does help - just stay up.

When I manage to do it, I am always glad I did, there is no more peaceful and beautiful time of day. Sometimes, if I'm at a particularly interesting or beautiful campsite, I may just stay in camp and spend the time taking photos of the sunrise. Other times I pack up and head out to find a nice spot for some coffee and a bit to eat somewhere down the trail.

I will concede that night hiking can also be magical, especially with a full moon and snow on the ground.

Heliotrope
02-25-2016, 22:48
I love being in motion by first light. The first few hours of the day are magic. Second best is a nice afternoon siesta break napping, swimming, reading etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
02-25-2016, 23:28
hour leading up to sunrise

evyck da fleet
02-25-2016, 23:43
Definitely early morning. Peaceful, I have the trail to myself and its the best time to stumble upon a bear, moose or doe with small fawns. I almost don't mind the rain or cobwebs.

Alligator
02-25-2016, 23:55
My favorite time of day is when I'm in the zone.

If I have to tie my answer more to the clock, I was thinking sunset, but as I am not a morning person, I often have several miles of night hiking ahead so I have a layer of apprehension mixed in. Closer to the clock I would say after I have eaten and washed my pot and spoon. Relaxing in my T-rest with snacks and my whiskey close by, staring up at the stars.

Traillium
02-26-2016, 00:33
Perhaps a bit off topic …
As a night owl, I love the quiet of a clear starry night.
But I'm in the process of re-setting my daily rhythm so that I can awake before the sun and get on the trail for the early morning. As sunrise moves earlier, I'm setting my wakeup alarm ahead as well, tracking sunrise. And it's working — as long as I get to bed earlier as well.
My aim by May when my Bruce Trail (Ontario) starts, I'll be used to getting up half an hour before sunrise to get going as the sun rises. I'm looking forward to the birds!

Bruce Traillium

DuneElliot
02-26-2016, 10:02

I'm with Lyle above, and as I mentioned in my own post, it's no fun getting up that early and I am fairly grouchy first thing, but it is still a stunning time of day when I do get up in time for it.

colorado_rob
02-26-2016, 10:30
Wow, tough call, like picking a favorite movie or song. Each part of the day is unique and special, but overall I'd also say early morning. Sitting by a lake, watching the fog lift, sipping coffee in the morning is special to me. Then again, sipping tea (low caffeine!) in the evenings by a lake is fine too... or enjoying a cozy campfire, or curling up in a warm bag and reading a good book later on, listening to the forest noises. Then there's the hiking part... All good!

But mornings are the best.

Kerosene
02-26-2016, 16:30
My first hour of hiking is probably my favorite time of day, which usually starts between 7-8 am for my shoulder season hikes.

However, I find myself frequently recalling those times when the sky is clear and the sun is setting. As Alligator mentions above, I have a sense of apprehension to hiking so late into the evening, but the sunlight slanting through the trees makes for an entirely different experience than early morning for some reason.

I also fondly recall those times when I have stopped an hour down the trail to eat breakfast at a nice viewpoint (particularly halfway up The Priest overlooking the Tye River valley on a sunny morning in October).

Another Kevin
02-26-2016, 17:51
My favorite time is the time that I get to spend Out There. From crawling out of the sack and starting coffee in the morning to sitting around shooting the breeze and spitting in the fire, it's all good. Best is maybe an half-hour or so into hiking, when I'm warmed up and fully awake (see coffee above), and I've just filled in the cat hole and washed my hands. (Extra points if I managed to plan well enough that my camp site was a half hour before a shelter with a privy.)

TexasBob
02-26-2016, 19:07
After I reach my destination for the day and as afternoon fades into evening twilight. I reflect on the day, enjoy a meal and a feeling of accomplishment. A peaceful feeling comes over me as the light gradually fades into night and I am ready for a nights rest and I am grateful for being in the woods.

full conditions
03-02-2016, 09:17
I have three: the hour before dawn - I'm a birder and listening to dawn chorus anytime between April and early July is a treat I never get tired of. Also, its the cool of the day; the light is slanted and interesting and very few other hikers are abroad at that hour.

The hour after sunset - in the high country this is when thrushes sing again - Veerys and Wood thrushes down south and Bicknell's, Wood, Hermit, and Swainson's up north. Time to sit back and sip some whiskey and feel a deep gratitude for the opportunity to be in the woods.

Lunchtime - anymore, most of my backpacking is section hiking and my partner and I usually finish our days pretty early (easy enough to do when you're only cranking out six to eight miles/ day) - like between 12:00 and 1:00 most days; after setting up camp she'll fix us a couple of G&T's and I'll read out loud to her for an hour or so - then its nap time.

illabelle
03-02-2016, 09:35
I am a crepuscular sort myself.

Hmmmm. Nice to see a new word now and then. :)

Rain Man
03-02-2016, 12:51
I like most of the previous posts, but I'll say one time I really enjoy is when I realize I'm not sitting at a desk or even in my recliner at home.

Besides those times, I enjoy almost all parts of the day, but do enjoy hiking after dusk and pre-dawn, ... oh, and deep spooky fog.

I suppose both crepuscular and auroral matutinal hiking.