PDA

View Full Version : First Family Hike Advice

Roamin
02-25-2016, 14:13
I am planning a 60 mile, week long hike in Northern VA with my children. This will be there first excursion on the AT and I hope to inflect them with the AT itch! They are 15, 18 and 20 years old. Any advice? I have read many articles encouraging me hike their hike not mine. I plan to stick to this. I have looked at three or four off points if things turn south. I am not planning ANY start / stop points besides where the car is parked and where the shuttle will drop us off at. I have built an extra two days on the end of the hike to allow for good days/bad days. I plan to limit their packs to 10-15% of their body weight as well. Finally, what should I expect for weather. I looked at the climate charts, but I am not sure the temps will be on the mountain. Will I need much cold weather gear? I am planning to bring 40 degree bags with base layers and fleece jackets. Thank you in advance for the help.

chknfngrs
02-25-2016, 14:21
You don't mention when or where you are planning your trip, which will impact what gear you should bring and expect of Mother Nature and of you and your kids output.. As for your kids, maybe look at some YouTube vids before you go to get a feel for hiking. Also, If they're not interested in going, don't make them go. You may never hear the end of it otherwise. I would absolutely include a bailout contingency plan for all of you, it's unwise not to know your options.

dudeijuststarted
02-25-2016, 14:38
The first AT section hike can be a shock to those with no experience on it, regardless of age or physical ability, and 60 miles is considerable. If this is your family's first AT outing, I suggest hiking the Shenandoah section so you have access to modern amenities on a near-daily basis and can mitigate any issues that arise with relative ease. The elevation change is minimal and the trail is very beautiful. The weather depends on when you are hiking, and is still variable regardless of historical record. The chance of rain is always present on the AT, so yes, everyone should have ponchos at a minimum. Be mindful that the temp drops 3 degrees per 1000' of elevation.

Roamin
02-25-2016, 14:58
chknfngrs, I am planning Buena Vista, VA to Rockfish gap in late April / early May. I have hiked MD (2005) and GA (2007). All of the children are looking forward to the hike, but my youngest is worried about the mileage. I remind him that there is not a set schedule and if it turns out we don't make it, I have the number to the shuttle and we are never far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. I have been the researching the AT as I am in the infancy stages of planning a thru hike. Have read AWOL's book, Hiking Through, and am halfway done with Marathon's book. I am getting ready to get Zack Davis's book on the psychology of the trial. I have watched several YouTube videos on the VA section. I have AWOL's guide book and the ATC maps and books as well. I am learning the art of dehydrated food so I can bring their favorites.

woozycatalyst
02-25-2016, 15:02
Great question! I'm taking my boys (11 and 15yrs) on their first trip on the AT starting at Springer in March. Originally i had planned the hike for me - 100 miles in 8 days...but after a 2 day-26 mile shakedown hike last week learned that that pace wasn't going to work (for any of us).

I'm now planning to hike to our car at around 70 miles, with drop out points around miles 30 and 50 in case things go bad. Also am limiting the expected miles/day to allow time for enjoying the trail, taking pictures, skipping rocks, texting friends (when have coverage)...whatever they want to do to help keep them engaged. Both boys have camp responsibilities (setting up tents, cooking, making fire when possible), so hopefully they will feel some ownership in our success and want to do it again!

Pack weight was a concern of mine as well - but i'm not quite as nice as you. My 15 yr old (130lb) is going to carry around 25lbs and my 11 yr old (70lb) has a 14lb pack. The key for us was building up in weight to this level, with short hikes at 50%, 70%, then our longer hike with 100% of this weight. They handled the weight way better than I handled my 25lb pack.

Admittedly they do get bored at times, so they now bring music and some offline games on their phones for when things get tough.

Good luck on your hike!

Heliotrope
02-25-2016, 16:16
I would love to hear how your trips turn out. My daughter (11) has not been on an backpacking overnight trip. I have had a few day hike experiences with her where she refused to continue hiking in the middle of a 5 mile point to point hike. Other times she has enjoyed hikes. Especially ones with swimming holes. Once she knocked out a 14 mile point to point hike. But she is too prone to moods and being difficult that I don't want to be in a remote place with her having a hissy fit.

Awcwo: I wouldnt be surprised if your kids leave you in the dust. Considering their ages. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chknfngrs
02-25-2016, 16:27
The way your initial post read (to me, anyways) insinuated it was an "all or nothing" sort of deal. I think if you only take what you need (leave the kitchen sink) and keep those pack weights down you will be on your way to sad of the year.... Expect cold wet nights that give way to warmish wet days in that season and area! Mileage may vary, depending on all those legs involved- great job on the research and good luck!

chknfngrs
02-25-2016, 16:28
Forgot to mention I hike with my 7 year old, and have zero experience with teenagers. Aye ya yaye

Hosh
02-25-2016, 17:12
I have 3 daughters and we began backpacking during their early teen years. My approach was to limit mileage & elevation gains on initial trips and work our way up to bigger challenges.

Not sure from your post if this is their first hike, not sure if they are as involved in the planning details, not sure where they fit on the passion scale.

If your youngest is worried about the mileage before the trip even begins, that's a potential problem already.

If you and your family have done other trips, similar in difficulty and length of time, then you probably already know how they will respond.

If you and your family haven't done any trips or very minimal trips, then you might have a big problem.

There worst outcome is for some or all of them get burned out, bored, tired or resentful and begin to think they were forced to go.

I would want to make sure they weren't agreeing to do it "just for Dad". Your end objective to hike the AT together would really be in jeopardy.

1azarus
02-25-2016, 17:27
Please forgive me... I read your thread title and thought you were hiking with the Obamas.

Roamin
02-25-2016, 18:37
Thank you for all of the great advice. This will be the children’s first true hiking. We did a 13 mile point to point hike at Kennesaw Mountain about 6 or 7 years ago. I carried the only pack. My mistake was not telling them how far we were going.
I am still acquiring gear and we will not have a chance for any opportunities for warm up hikes. I have asked them all repeatedly not to do this for me, only come if they want to. I am limited on the location due to family logistics. I initially planned on having this an “unplugged” week, but thought it might allow for needed distractions, ease of sleeping, and keeping in touch with home. We will start the week unplugged and will only integrate it as necessary.
We will all have rain gear and basic base layers for cool weather. My concern is with cold weather verse cool weather. Is a 40 degree bag sufficient? Should I include a fleece liner? I plan about 10 miles a day, but that is give and take. I did not consider the “extra” food they will want. I will have to add extra snacks into the plan.
My son is at the stage of life where the sum of anything is too much. The book is too long it has 300 pages, 60 miles is too far, I have too much work, it will take so long to do my chores. I am hoping this trip will helps show him, starting is the hardest part of anything. He has done several smaller trips with Boy Scouts, but never a hike of this magnitude. I think he will respond well to the experience.
Am I not thinking of anything else?
Lazarus, your post make me laugh, I had to go reread my title. But to be clear, I leave all politics at the trailhead!

Miel
02-26-2016, 21:11
Why no shorter hikes first? It seems a lot to foist on a teen all at once.

"I a hoping this trip will help show him, starting is the hardest part of everything." -- Is this a pleasure hike, or army basic training? Are you trying to toghen up your children or something?

(And yes, a 300pp book is long even for a child in AP classes.)

"I did not consider the "extra" food they will want." - Why is this extra? Teens have different metabolisms than their parents.

Don't starve them; don't freeze them (and remember their fingers and ears when thinking about warm clothing); listen to them if they want to quit - and let them. Why make it dreary for them (if it becomes so)?

If my teen didn't like to hike (she does) I would never put her through a 60 mile, one week hike, or a six mile one day hike. Think about starting small - and don't consider food "extra" anything. (I hope you don't ration at home.)

I don't like the sound of this. It sounds like too much at once. What's the point of making them do so much at this time? FTR, I don't believe in "toughening up" teens.

Roamin
02-27-2016, 11:25
No, I am not “Gunney” Ermey, no I am not the Great Santini, and no I not he headmaster at Oliver Twist’s orphanage; there is plenty of porridge for everyone!

rdljr
02-27-2016, 17:28
Put me in the why not a smaller pre-trip crowd. At 15,18,20 and you, your group will have 3 adult and 1 older youth. Let them take part (about 75%) of the planing. After all it is their trip as well as yours. If you raised them right, they will do great. People tend to raise to the level of the exceptions sets for them by the people they respect. I'm guessing that everyone on WB has had the trip were nothing went as planed and hopefully has had the trip were everything went as planned. This trip will most likely fall between the two and as time passes the real memories will be of the time spent with family. If everyone walks out under their own power with all the body parts (small amounts of body fat are allowed to be left on the trail) they started with it is a success.

MuddyWaters
02-27-2016, 20:09
The distance sounds overwhelming at first to new hikers.
Just tell them to think 5 days, or whatever, and the miles take care of themself.

I took my son on AT first time at 11 yrs old. No timetable, just 43 miles back to car. Took all of 2.5 days. After that, never planned less than 15 mpd with him. We both carry light packs however

Roamin
02-27-2016, 20:55
I just had the conversation with all the children again tonight that this is for them, DO NOT DO IT FOR ME! Also, I talked about the distance. I stressed that if we do not then I simply just get a ride to the car. Not a big deal. As you state it is just 5 days hiking. The first 20 miles of the trip I am about 3 miles max from the Blue Ridge Parkway, the rest of the way I am about 1 mile. I will always a have an easy route off the trail, a quick 30 minute ride to my car, and finally we will always be within cell phone of a park ranger with easy mile marks if someone gets hurt. I am now confident I have a solid plan which to deviate from and I have covered all my bases for the children's first AT adventure.

Studlintsean
02-27-2016, 21:14
Do you plan on going North or South? Keep in mind the Priest (heading south) or Three Ridges (heading north). Both are decent climbs so factor that in for the day. I did this section in 5 days (2 weekends) and I am not a long section hiker (mostly weekends). It is a great section. Sounds like you have the plan figured out (take it a day at time, bail out points, etc). Let us know how the trip goes and have fun.

Roamin
02-28-2016, 09:28
We are planning to go from RT60 to Rockfish Gap (south to north) I anticipate starting the trail around early afternoon. This will give us a 2000 ft climb in the first 3 miles followed by a mile downhill to our first stop; giving us a 4 mile first day. This is one of two 2000 ft climbs during the hike. We are hoping that it should not be too bad as it is our first day so our legs will be fresh, we will still be excited about starting our trip and we will have had good meals before starting. We are really looking forward to it.

We are planning to being 40 degree bags, do you think we will need fleece liners as well?

Studlintsean
02-28-2016, 10:21
Average lows will probably be mid 40s to low 50s. I would bring a quality 40 degree bag and also have a beanie, light down jacket, and base layers if needed. Are you looking for an additional pick by any chance? I might have an REI flash (50 or 65- I can check) if so.

Roamin
02-28-2016, 13:58
Thank you for the information. I have already picked up our packs, but thank you for the offer.