PDA

View Full Version : 22 flavors of Pop Tarts. Can you name them?

Halfblind
02-25-2016, 17:49
Just saw a new TV commercial on Pop Tarts.
During the ad, it was mentioned they have 22 different flavors.
Most hikers eat the ubiquitous tarts. I know I do, but; I surely didn't realize they made that many flavors.
Can any one name all the flavors -good luck!

ALLEGHENY
02-25-2016, 17:57
enriched flour (wheat flour, niacinamide, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar, dextrose, vegetable oil (soybean, palm, cottonseed and/or hydrogenated cottonseed oil† with tbhq and citric acid for freshness), corn syrup, whey, cracker meal, high fructose corn syrup, cocoa, contains two percent or less of cornstarch, cocoa processed with alkali, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), modified corn starch, mono- and diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, gelatin, dried egg whites, datem, partially hydrogenated soybean oil†, modified wheat starch, xanthan gum, natural vanilla flavor, caramel color, soy lecithin, calcium phosphate, color added, niacinamide, reduced iron, vitamin a palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), riboflavin (vitamin b2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin b1), folic acid.

Halfblind
02-25-2016, 18:59
Thanks, you just ruined what I thought was a healthy thru hiker breakfast.
Strawberry,cherry,brown sugar... Help me out WB.

TexasBob
02-25-2016, 19:19
Why do the food Nazis think that they will put people off Pop Tarts by pointing out that they are not "all natural"? Your time would be better spent growing your sprouts, cooking your non-GMO whole grains and drooling over tofu.

ALLEGHENY
02-25-2016, 20:11
Why do the food Nazis think that they will put people off Pop Tarts by pointing out that they are not "all natural"? Your time would be better spent growing your sprouts, cooking your non-GMO whole grains and drooling over tofu.

I don't eat any of that, except maybe non- GMO. I garden and eat a lot of greens after they sprout and produce more nutritious mature plant or fruit. I like my whole oats and fresh baked bread that has only flour water salt and yeast for ingredients. Soy?

Aren't all poop tarts about the same? That is all I meant to say in my above post.
I stand for truth in advertising. I want to know what I'm spending my hard earned money on, if it is worth the risk and what benefit I'm getting. I'm not falling for what ever the corporate machine wants to shove down the throat of the masses. Get in line, eat hardy wash it all down a high fructose corn syrup drink.
What flavor?

Malto
02-25-2016, 20:43
Just saw a new TV commercial on Pop Tarts.
During the ad, it was mentioned they have 22 different flavors.
Most hikers eat the ubiquitous tarts. I know I do, but; I surely didn't realize they made that many flavors.
Can any one name all the flavors -good luck!

I guess you should have put this in straight-forward.

with twenty two flavor you could mix the silvery packages up and get a surprise every morning.

i cheated.

Water Rat
02-25-2016, 20:48
*sigh* This was meant to be a fun game, not a lecture on nutrition.

I seem to remember there were only a few flavors of Pop Tarts when I was a kid. Surprising to hear they are up to 22 flavors! What's the new flavor?

Pop Tarts are not on my normal menu, but I ended up having a S'mores Pop Tart last summer. Tasted a lot better than I expected. As for the list of flavors I'll give it a shot, but know I will not come anywhere near 22! :)

Cherry
Raspberry
Blueberry
S'mores
Chocolate
Peanut butter?
Cinnamon

That seems to be about the extent of the list I can create. Good luck to the next person!

JohnThe Snail
02-25-2016, 21:30
Does Strawberry and Frosted Strawberry count as one or two?

Heliotrope
02-25-2016, 22:01
Lighten up people!

Anyone remember when John Belushi was training for the Olympic decathlon and what was on his breakfast table?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
02-25-2016, 22:21
*sigh* This was meant to be a fun game, not a lecture on nutrition.

I disapprove of any kind of fun.

Had a friend in college who was very upset because his mom sent him strawberry Pop Tarts, but not the strawberry Pop Tarts with the sprinkles. So, at one point in time there were at least two strawberry versions, but that was last century. It was kind of amusing to see this big burly guy whining because he didn't get his sprinkles.

Kaptainkriz
02-25-2016, 22:22
These little tarts are cute:

http://youtu.be/dNpLBeejvTw

Water Rat
02-25-2016, 22:32
I disapprove of any kind of fun.

Had a friend in college who was very upset because his mom sent him strawberry Pop Tarts, but not the strawberry Pop Tarts with the sprinkles. So, at one point in time there were at least two strawberry versions, but that was last century. It was kind of amusing to see this big burly guy whining because he didn't get his sprinkles.

Well, I guess his day just wasn't complete without his strawberry Pop Tarts w/sprinkles! :D

I now have a visual of hikers curling up in fetal position on the sidewalk because the store just sold the last of their favorite Pop Tarts. Maybe a soft whimper escaping their starving lips...

Puddlefish
02-25-2016, 22:49
Well, I guess his day just wasn't complete without his strawberry Pop Tarts w/sprinkles! :D

I now have a visual of hikers curling up in fetal position on the sidewalk because the store just sold the last of their favorite Pop Tarts. Maybe a soft whimper escaping their starving lips...

They need to learn that sprinkles are only for winners.

RockDoc
02-26-2016, 00:33
how many times do you have to say white flour, HFCS, sugar, unhealthy oils, and artificial cr@p?

mrcoffeect
02-26-2016, 08:26
Lighten up people!

Anyone remember when John Belushi was training for the Olympic decathlon and what was on his breakfast table?

"Little chocolate donuts" everyone knows its the breakfast of champions.

chknfngrs
02-26-2016, 08:48
Eat Your Own Eats (EYOE) I eat healthy at home, and while on the trail can afford and allow myself to indulge in MSG and HFCS laden products without concern. If PopTarts ran for president, I'd vote for Frosted Strawberry or Brown Sugarn Cinnamon

rocketsocks
02-26-2016, 09:11
Eat Your Own Eats (EYOE) I eat healthy at home, and while on the trail can afford and allow myself to indulge in MSG and HFCS laden products without concern. If PopTarts ran for president, I'd vote for Frosted Strawberry or Brown Sugarn Cinnamonno way, frosted strawberry voted against super sizing the happy meal last year, and brown sugar won't give up his passport.

kimbur96
02-26-2016, 10:48
What? There's no love here for the cookies and cream? Hard to go wrong with cookies and cream anything.

Water Rat
02-26-2016, 11:00
They need to learn that sprinkles are only for winners.

When I read this I almost choked on my coffee! I had this visual of Jack Nicholson screaming, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SPRINKLES! SPRINKLES ARE FOR WINNERS!" :D

Malto
02-26-2016, 11:48
When I read this I almost choked on my coffee! I had this visual of Jack Nicholson screaming, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE SPRINKLES! SPRINKLES ARE FOR WINNERS!" :D

Agree completely. I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee because I might have choked myself.

Water Rat
02-26-2016, 11:59
Come to think of it, that would make for an awesome scene in an AT movie...

MamaBear
02-26-2016, 12:24
I just saw Maple Bacon Pop-tarts at the grocery store this week. I think they are a limited edition flavor, along with the Watermelon flavor.

Odd Man Out
02-26-2016, 14:46
enriched flour (wheat flour, niacinamide, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate [vitamin b1], riboflavin [vitamin b2], folic acid), sugar, dextrose, vegetable oil (soybean, palm, cottonseed and/or hydrogenated cottonseed oil† with tbhq and citric acid for freshness), corn syrup, whey, cracker meal, high fructose corn syrup, cocoa, contains two percent or less of cornstarch, cocoa processed with alkali, salt, leavening (baking soda, sodium acid pyrophosphate, monocalcium phosphate), modified corn starch, mono- and diglycerides, sodium stearoyl lactylate, gelatin, dried egg whites, datem, partially hydrogenated soybean oil†, modified wheat starch, xanthan gum, natural vanilla flavor, caramel color, soy lecithin, calcium phosphate, color added, niacinamide, reduced iron, vitamin a palmitate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin b6), riboflavin (vitamin b2), thiamin hydrochloride (vitamin b1), folic acid.

Is this from real Pop Tarts or a store brand knock off? Last time I checked, the store had the partially hydrogenated oil but the real Pop Tarts did not. Checking a few flavors at the Pop Tart web site, I don't see partially hydrogenated oil listed in any of the ingredients. Otherwise, yes they have sugar (in several forms). I would never claim them to be health food. But I don't see much there that is going to harm you either. The ingredients of my "gold standard" Pop Tart are: Enriched flour, Sugar, Soybean and Palm Oil, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Cracker Meal, Molasses, Sallt, Calcium Carbonate, Leavening, Cinnamon, Wheat Starch, Gelatin, Caramel Color, Soy Lecithin. I left out all the vitamins in the list to save typing.

Another Kevin
02-26-2016, 20:12
I never look at ingredients too closely. As Bismarck said, those who eat sausage and respect the law must never watch either one being made.

"Stay reasonably active and eat what I durned please" has worked for me for nigh on sixty years. I'm not going to start messing with the strategy now.

Water Rat
02-26-2016, 20:40
I just saw Maple Bacon Pop-tarts at the grocery store this week. I think they are a limited edition flavor, along with the Watermelon flavor.

I have to admit - I can't even begin to guess what either of these flavors would taste like!

Kelaina
02-26-2016, 22:05
how many times do you have to say white flour, HFCS, sugar, unhealthy oils, and artificial cr@p?

So what? You know the kind of crap that's in Slim Jims? A lot of people find Pop Tarts great on the trail. Let people worry about their own business, and you worry about yours.

TexasBob
02-27-2016, 16:19

Think about it. We are all adults here so if someone is eating a Pop Tart then they are aware that they are not eating health food. The real question is do you think it does any good to give them grief about it? Let us enjoy our Pop Tarts in peace.

Bird Dawg
02-27-2016, 17:09
They make a Grape flavored one - but I believe it is only produced a couple of times each year (at least here in Georgia). I scored a couple of boxes prior to my section hike last September.

Dogwood
02-27-2016, 18:10
I don't eat any of that...

Aren't all poop tarts about the same? That is all I meant to say in my above post.
I stand for truth in advertising. I want to know what I'm spending my hard earned money on, if it is worth the risk and what benefit I'm getting. I'm not falling for what ever the corporate machine wants to shove down the throat of the masses. Get in line, eat hardy wash it all down a high fructose corn syrup drink.
What flavor?

Indeed, on all counts. I too want truth in advertising. I too want to know what's in my "food." I too want to be educated as to my food choices. I too joyfully want the best nutrition I know for my hard earned dollar. Poop Tarts is NOT it!

Sugar, dismal fiber, more sugar named differently, nasty oils(partially hydrogenated oil- trans fat), etc contributing to sugar crashes(about 1/3 of the cals in Poop Toots is sugar!, not good news for all you ULers seeking the best cal/oz ratios, those seeking reasonable overall nutrition, diabetics, those with digestive disorders, those seeking to satiate themselves on trail, etc), trans fats( so destructive to the human body, including joints even the FDA is phasing them out).

Instead of focusing on 22 flavors of artificial cr@p misrepresented by a picture and labeling on the packaging that doesn't honestly relate to the crappy content inside it how about having "fun" naming 22 types of nuts and their awesome trail nutrition and bang for the buck? Lets's see: Almonds: ingredient list - just almonds, Walnuts: ingredient list - just walnuts, Pecans: just pecans, Peanuts(a legume): just peanuts, Brazil: just Brazil nuts..........................

So easy to mislead those so willing to be mislead.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2009/08/06/does-the-world-need-pop-tarts-inside-the-label/

ALLEGHENY
02-27-2016, 19:06
Thanks for the link Dog. I figured they are peaking on the brilliant blue or the red.

slovakiasteph
02-27-2016, 23:02
There's some sort of chocolate one with chocolate icing-- those are the ones I usually get for my hike. I don't eat pop tarts any other time, though!