PDA

View Full Version : Scary Stories My Freind Sent me.

FooFooCuddlyPoops
02-26-2016, 02:27
I am 100% this series is fake, but they are really good at sending chills down your spine. Creepy pastas will do that to you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

anyone else read read creepy pasta story's and have a few to share?

CamelMan
02-27-2016, 23:38
The first one is, IIRC, from a book by a kook name David Paulides called Missing 411. He's one of those people who take advantage of people not knowing how many ways you can get in trouble or die in nature, to claim that disappearances in National Parks are due to Bigfoot. You read that correctly. He doesn't state it outright in the book but that's how he promotes the book. I'll read the rest in a couple of minutes since I'm on my way to sleep soon LOL.

Anyway... :) This actually happened to me. I was on the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail. It was the second day and I was leaving Ohiopyle State Park and entering Game Lands #111. By then it was afternoon, maybe 4 o'clock, and I was just cruising along on my first longer day. At that point the trail crosses a paved road and goes down into a slightly different kind of forest. It had a mature, "bottomland" look to it, meaning that there was clear layering in terms of canopy and undergrowth, with these bushy "hammocks" every once in a while, where maybe a tree had fallen and enough light had gotten in to help underbrush grow. The rest of the forest floor was covered with ferns.

I crossed the road and descended down the trail into these woods. As soon as I was in the woods, I looked around and immediately froze. I had to freeze because a feeling of sheer terror like I had never experienced in the woods just overwhelmed me. Earlier that day I had been 20 feet from the butt end of a hidden bear that surprised me as it crashed through the bushes to run away, but this was nothing like that. With the bear, there was a second where I got that "slow time" effect so I could size up the threat, but then I relaxed because I saw it was leaving. Here, though, I felt like something was looking at me, something incredibly dangerous. There was no obvious reason why I should be afraid, but I had to carefully scan every part of the woods, and every hammock that I could see, before I could go on. Even then, I had to force myself and couldn't run but had to walk quickly, looking around the whole time. I seriously considered walking down the road and hitching somewhere where I could call my ride. The creepy feeling didn't leave me until I left the bottomland area and was in a slightly different landscape.

I'm sure it was just a freak feeling because of low glucose or something, I did bonk later that day or the next so I wasn't refueling correctly. The thing is, I've never felt that way in the woods before or since. The thought crossed my mind that I could sense enough molecules in the air to alert my brain, but not enough to actually smell anything, and so maybe it was just a bear hiding in the bushes. The thought also crossed my mind that maybe somebody had dumped a body there and we are genetically programmed to be afraid if we can smell decomposing human remains. But that was me grabbing for some reasonable explanation. I can't shake the feeling that something was there, in one of those hammocks, waiting for me to pass just a little too close... :eek:

imscotty
02-28-2016, 00:16
Camelman,

Who can say if it was something or nothing, but when in doubt I think the wisest thing is to go with your gut, which you did.

CamelMan
02-28-2016, 01:53
I think the wisest thing is to go with your gut, which you did.

Yeah, me too. It's hard to argue with instinct, it's probably there for a reason.

ALLEGHENY
02-28-2016, 02:08
What time of year was this? Could have been archery hunters. Towards evening we are up in tree stands in are camo watching. I hike that trail. I have sat just off trails and watched hikers pass by and they never even see me.

CamelMan
02-28-2016, 02:31
Oh, it was June, but otherwise that would make sense. The other thing is that it was just past the road, right after you go down the road bed, maybe 50 feet at most. I didn't want to go through the area at all. It was 5 years ago but I still kinda remember what it looked like because it was so weird. I know there are gun deer season rules about proximity to roads and buildings, at least in WI where I grew up, but maybe not archery.

ALLEGHENY
02-28-2016, 03:04
Well in June It was not any dear hunter, archery or rifle. Had too be the Laurel Lunatic Bog Beast.:eek:

CamelMan
02-28-2016, 03:37
Well in June It was not any dear hunter, archery or rifle. Had too be the Laurel Lunatic Bog Beast.:eek:

Well, at least he/she/it isn't too dangerous, I'm still here! I do like PA though, Ohiopyle is awesome and I think I'll always have a soft spot for Pittsburgh since I visited my sister there a few times when she lived there. I got off the LHHT at Laurel Summit SP (IIRC) because the bridge over the turnpike was still closed so I had to take the road detour. I loved my Montrail Sabinos but they were no match for gravel and I got a huge blister and decided to call it a hike. Now I regret it but I'm a little tougher now. More than a little, actually, because I have little choice but to get tough.

Also my two most serious bonks were in the Commonwealth. The other one was at Raccoon Creek, which is a really nice park too. (I'm from the Midwest so if you have a hill and a tree, you have a State Park! ) I tore the meniscus in my right knee at McConnell's Mill (I was running uphill with a backpack full of water bottles for added weight) and bought a knee brace in a CVS or Walgreens in Beaver to get me to the doctors, who were at home because they're my relatives, LOL. It really sucked because I was about 200 yards from getting off scott-free and letting my ligaments/joints tighten up a little before my next hike.

Acacia
02-28-2016, 06:03
Camelman,

Who can say if it was something or nothing, but when in doubt I think the wisest thing is to go with your gut, which you did.

I was doing a section hike in the Blue Ridge Parkway in 2014, my second solo hiking trip on the AT. I arrived at a shelter I had been so much looking forward to because the area looked lovely in photos. I don't know if it was because there was not a soul around, but I started to get a very creepy feeling I couldn't shake. I just didn't feel relaxed and thought up an excuse to leave, which was: there's a pond there with still water attracting a million mosquitos, which tend to love me, so I think I should leave. So I left and when I got to a forest service road with a signal, I called a shuttle driver. On the phone he didn't mention anything, but on the drive into town he said that shelter was known to be haunted. I was so glad I didn't spend the night there.

CamelMan
02-29-2016, 05:33
^ Please don't tell me which one! :)

Woodturner
02-29-2016, 08:05
^ Please don't tell me which one! :)

Let's see. Pond. Blue Ridge Parkway. Haunted.
If you don't know which shelter it is from that, you haven't read very many of the ghost threads. I think it has even rated a feature article in Journeys. I didn't stay there, but I did stop for lunch. The shelter was strewn with gear and books, the property of two girls who had stayed there for multiple days. It was a long time ago, but the source of the supposed haunting was even further back.
The closest thing to scary I have ever experienced on the AT was at one of the shelters on South Mountain. It was way after dark, and I was alone and awake. I could hear heavy footsteps stomping around the back of the shelter, but whoever was making the sound never came around to the front and showed themselves. Even though I am one of those uncultured rubes who believes in ghosts (I know too many credible people who have had "experiences") I never for a moment thought there was anything supernatural about it. I was thinking some hiker hating local, and was straining my ears for the first few notes of Dueling Banjos. A few days later I met the guy who had been making the sound. Seems he liked to hike at night.