PDA

View Full Version : AT trail Conditions thru the GSMNP

sswells4
02-26-2016, 08:30
Has anyone been on or heard anything about the current conditions of the AT thru the Smokys? Most specifically Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam? I have a section hike planned for later next week. I see the forecast is calling for some rain/snow but nothing like we have just had in the past several days.

hikernutcasey
02-26-2016, 10:24
Has anyone been on or heard anything about the current conditions of the AT thru the Smokys? Most specifically Newfound Gap to Fontana Dam? I have a section hike planned for later next week. I see the forecast is calling for some rain/snow but nothing like we have just had in the past several days.I see you live in Tennessee so obviously you know it's been snowing since Wednesday night up there. I know that the trails were so icy at Grandfather Mountain after last weeks snow/ice event that they closed the trails for a time. I would assume the Smokey's trails would be in similar condition, although you don't have the ladders and cables to contend with in the Smokys. More weather is forecast for mid week next week but right now Ray's Weather is saying it's not going to be a big event.

You should be fine but I wouldn't go without microspikes.

GLIDER304GUIDER
02-26-2016, 22:05
There is about 3-4 inches of fresh snow up there. We spent the night on Leconte Wed. Then we hiked out to Charles Bunion before dropping off the AT. Pretty cold and windy up there. I was glad I had my micro spikes and full gaiters. Have fun next week, and be safe.

GLIDER304GUIDER
02-26-2016, 22:17
Forgot to mention 441 was closed when we left today.