PDA

View Full Version : Bear Canister Needed?

TheWhiteWalker
02-26-2016, 14:18
I was wondering if I need a bear canister for a NOBO Thru Hike? What % of hikers carry one on the AT? Thanks!

HooKooDooKu
02-26-2016, 15:00
I believe there is only one 5 mile stretch in GA that requires a canister IF you are camping in that area (don't recall, someone else will come along and give more detail). Most simply don't camp in that 5 mile stretch and therefore have no need for a bear canister.

On the flip side, there has been some discussion by those who say the want to use a canister just so they don't have to hang their food and to keep rodents out (for those only concerned with rodents, they are using the Ursack)

glaux
03-06-2016, 14:57
The bear canisters are required around Springer Mountain. Lots of folks camp at the top of the mountain, hikers and local kids with beer and fast food, and there's nowhere to hang a bear bag, so the bears have learned it's easy pickings. They've also become less scared of people and more aggressive because of it. It's easy to hike through and camp out side that section.

Jack Tarlin
03-06-2016, 15:15
The ONLY place I know of where a cannister is required is the area around Blood Mountain and not Springer. And the cannister is only required if you plan to over-night somewhere in that five mile stretch. Most folks simply make sure to plan their mileage so they won't be camping in this stretch, and therefore, do not purchase or carry a cannister on a thru-hike.

glaux
03-06-2016, 22:58
Right-- my head was somewhere else. I was thinking Blood, typed Springer.

mattjv89
03-06-2016, 23:58
I saw a few of them in Georgia, but my overall experience was that 0% carry a bear canister the whole way.

Venchka
03-07-2016, 00:00
I was wondering if I need a bear canister for a NOBO Thru Hike? What % of hikers carry one on the AT? Thanks!

One last time.

No.

0%.

You're welcome.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Sandy of PA
03-07-2016, 21:48
It is not 0%. I personally carry one. I have hiked over 2000 miles on the AT with one. I suck at throwing rocks and I love bears. A fed bear is a dead bear!

Venchka
03-08-2016, 10:37
It is not 0%. I personally carry one. I have hiked over 2000 miles on the AT with one. I suck at throwing rocks and I love bears. A fed bear is a dead bear!

In that case, use an Ursak. 8 ounces.

Wayne

AlyontheAT2016
03-08-2016, 13:45
What do you all think about Zpacks' bear bag? Anyone have experience with it? Does it keep rodents out like the website claims?

FatMan
03-08-2016, 18:26
Just to clarify here is the bear canister regulation for Jarrard Gap to Neels Gap.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5351875.pdf

gbolt
03-08-2016, 20:07
What do you all think about Zpacks' bear bag? Anyone have experience with it? Does it keep rodents out like the website claims?

I personally believe if you are going to PCT Hang; the Zpacks Bear Bag Kit is the best purchase you can make. The Blast Food Bag is ultra light Cubin Fiber that holds plenty of food, rolls down nicely, repels water and is easily repaired if a mouse should happen to chew through it. The 50ft of La**** is easy to handle, slides over a branch without issues, and stores in the Rock Sac. The rock sac is also CF and easy to throw. The Caribiner is small but just right to get the job done.

I have not stayed in shelters but have heard that in the rare case that the mouse did chew through, it took so much time and effort it didn't get any further than making the hole in the bag.

I also debated the Ursak but the Bear proof ones where not rodent proof and vice versa. At that cost/weight ratio, I went with the Zpack Kit and am very satisfied. Although, I have had more encounters with Racoons than bears or mice. Squirrels also do not seem to bother the pack when closed, even though they will scurry around people eating lunch.

I would say their claim is more true than false.

gbolt
03-08-2016, 20:09
Forgot the hyphen in Lash - it. Now that is funny!:p

Hosh
03-08-2016, 22:15
I have used Zpacks bear bags with Nylofume bags http://quantumtermite.com/nylofume-bags-20 and plan to use these as a closure http://www.ebay.com/itm/281897594469?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT instead of bread ties.

It's belt and suspenders approach with a PCT hang. I haven't weighed everything, but pretty sure it will be under a UrSack. Above treeline, a Ursack still needs odor proof protection IMO, so not sure if I will use the Zpacks system or not.

I would not trust Zpacks for rodents, unless it's hung, I have a RatSak http://www.armoredoutdoorgear.com/ in desert environments.

AlyontheAT2016
03-09-2016, 03:09
I personally believe if you are going to PCT Hang; the Zpacks Bear Bag Kit is the best purchase you can make. The Blast Food Bag is ultra light Cubin Fiber that holds plenty of food, rolls down nicely, repels water and is easily repaired if a mouse should happen to chew through it. The 50ft of La**** is easy to handle, slides over a branch without issues, and stores in the Rock Sac. The rock sac is also CF and easy to throw. The Caribiner is small but just right to get the job done.

I have not stayed in shelters but have heard that in the rare case that the mouse did chew through, it took so much time and effort it didn't get any further than making the hole in the bag.

I also debated the Ursak but the Bear proof ones where not rodent proof and vice versa. At that cost/weight ratio, I went with the Zpack Kit and am very satisfied. Although, I have had more encounters with Racoons than bears or mice. Squirrels also do not seem to bother the pack when closed, even though they will scurry around people eating lunch.

I would say their claim is more true than false.

I was planning on using PCT hang. Thanks for the response!