PDA

View Full Version : Esbit - Where is it?

eblanche
02-26-2016, 17:55
Let's get to the point. I have searched the web far an wide on the actual real world CURRENT availability of esbit/coughlans tablets along the AT without getting much of an actual answer. I recall one thread with someone saying that it is very hard to find and another saying right afterwards that it was indeed easy to find.

If a through hiker were to use esbit throughout the entire trail, would it be much of an issue to resupply? Are outfitters readily available throughout the trail and is it common that they keep a stock of esbit? From past through hikers, did you see these in hiker boxes often? Have others relied solely on esbit for fuel and not mailed it to themselves?

As I understand it, you can mail yourself esbit just like canisters in ground only non-priority boxes but I would prefer to limit the amount of packages sent to myself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

hooshr
02-26-2016, 18:21
I switched from Esbit stove, which I liked to a MSR Micro Pocket Rocket because solid fuel tablets were difficult to find during my preparation hikes. The Esbit is lightweight and does the job heating water, but I thought fuel availability would be an issue on my 2016 thru hike.

fastfoxengineering
02-26-2016, 20:30
Esbit is probably the least available fuel on the trail, but if your willing to carry a fair amount you shouldn't have a problem. Smaller stores are more likely to stock heet and canisters than esbit. All big box outfitters have esbit tabs, if in stock.

Any particular reason you want to use an Esbit stove? I use them everynow and then, but on trips where I'm carrying all my supplies and not resupplying in town.

On the AT, I believe alcohol is the way to go, unless you prefer a canister stove.

mattjv89
02-26-2016, 20:41
If a through hiker were to use esbit throughout the entire trail, would it be much of an issue to resupply? Are outfitters readily available throughout the trail and is it common that they keep a stock of esbit?

In my experience they are not readily available except at the big box outfitters as someone else mentioned. I would anticipate carrying a lot of it in more than one section to get by without maildrops.

From past through hikers, did you see these in hiker boxes often? Have others relied solely on esbit for fuel and not mailed it to themselves?

Never saw it in a hiker box nor did I see anyone relying on it solely or not, I just never saw an Esbit stove the whole way. I'd definitely go with canister or alcohol as well, I think there's a marginal weight advantage with an esbit stove and small supply of tabs but I just don't see it being practical for the whole trail.

eblanche
02-26-2016, 21:32
Any particular reason you want to use an Esbit stove?On the AT, I believe alcohol is the way to go, unless you prefer a canister stove.
I have just grown over the past year to enjoy cooking with esbit. I also have a jetboil which I used previously for a number of years. I use a caldera cone and have the 12-10 alcohol stove that came with it along with the gram cracker. I have options but just prefer using esbit.

I appreciate the feedback so far. Keep it coming!

George
02-26-2016, 23:22
fuel tablets are more practical for sections than the whole trail/ the ability to fly with them and ship them PO vs buying along the way(if you do find them it will be name brand esbit for triple the price of coglans on the web

I did maine last year in season and from from what I saw vs other years alcohol stoves are past their peak use - the pocket rocket appeared to be the new popular choice

4eyedbuzzard
02-27-2016, 09:48
fuel tablets are more practical for sections than the whole trail/ the ability to fly with them and ship them PO vs buying along the way(if you do find them it will be name brand esbit for triple the price of coglans on the web

I did maine last year in season and from from what I saw vs other years alcohol stoves are past their peak use - the pocket rocket appeared to be the new popular choiceYou can't legally fly with Esbit or other solid fuels, nor ship them any way other than ground only (and NOT Priority Mail.)

daddytwosticks
02-27-2016, 14:35
Last time I looked, the tabs were available in all the outfitters I have frequented down south here. Mountain Crossings, the two in Franklin, NC, the NOC, the outfitter in Hot Springs, etc. I use Esbit tabs on short warmer weather hikes. I buy a small box and they last quite awhile. I use a canister stoves in cooler weather and on longer hikes. :)

twistwrist
02-28-2016, 11:54
I started with an Esbit but when I couldn't get water to boil after using a whole tablet, I quickly switched to a Jetboil.

www.appalachiantrailclarity.com (http://appalachiantrailclarity.com/2016/01/29/faq-about-a-thru-hike/)

MuddyWaters
02-28-2016, 12:17
Esbit is great......for lighting charcoal grills

But difficulty in lighting makes it poor for that too

Weber has new starter cubes that light immediately now, so I have a few boxes of esbit that I really have no use for now.

Leaves residue on pot, saving fuzzy bits is horrible, smells,...theres no reason to use esbit.

Leo L.
02-28-2016, 15:06
I'm using Esbit exclusively, but thats desert hiking, so there are good reasons for.
Tried starter cubes at times, but made lots of smudge and messy pot, definitely not recommended.

Starchild
02-28-2016, 15:17
The problem is resupply with esbit is unpredictable, thus you will need to carry more or have a backup plan. A stove that can use alchy or esbit would alleviate this issue.

George
02-29-2016, 00:38
Esbit is great......for lighting charcoal grills

But difficulty in lighting makes it poor for that too

Weber has new starter cubes that light immediately now, so I have a few boxes of esbit that I really have no use for now.

Leaves residue on pot, saving fuzzy bits is horrible, smells,...theres no reason to use esbit.

the cheaper coglan tabs are actually cleaner and less smelly, also give the easier option of 1 or 2

Leo L.
02-29-2016, 06:55
Forgot to mention:
Esbit is even more sensitive to wind than any other kind of fuel/stove.
Bring a perfect windshield and you will save at least half the amount of Esbit.

In addition using the traditional Esbit setup33901 you can substitute Esbit by some other stuff, alcohol in a cut-off tin should work great, I used camel droppings with good success (might not be available on the AT though).

QiWiz
02-29-2016, 17:51
I've used Esbit on the AT, but by mailed resupply to myself rather than trying to find it on/off trail as i hiked.