PDA

View Full Version : My 6 lb mansion

Jeronimo!
02-26-2016, 19:59

Finally got a chance to set up my new shelter , the 10x13 Aquaquest King Kamo Tarp paired with Kijaro Bug net . This is going to be my shelter for a more stationary (base) camp setup . I wanted something roomy and durable and sacrificed weight to get it haha . The tarp weighs in at 5 lbs, and the bug net at 1 lb, when I add ropes , groundsheet, and heavier duty stakes it might end up at 7lbs overall but its all good , after my thru hike I'm finished trying to go fast and log big miles. Anyway I just wanted to share this for whoever might be interested , I'm pretty psyched to get it all finished and streamined a bit and spend a night or two in this thing.

DuneElliot
02-26-2016, 20:46
Nicely done...my mansion for base camp is around 10lbs! It technically sleeps 6, but it's awesome for a cot and bedroll for me, two dogs and some carpet (to protect the floor from doggie claws).

Malto
02-26-2016, 21:18
What is the plan for storms that have variable wind directions. Seems like you will get soaked from either end unless there's a hidden bit of end protection.

Jeronimo!
02-26-2016, 21:40
haven't quite gotten that far yet ,I need a good storm pitch for this bad boy suggestions are welcome haha. I'll probably lower the ridgeline and try folding the sides in as much as possible .

No Directions
02-27-2016, 07:48
Have you considered a Warbonnet Super Fly? it's 1# 3 oz and has doors.

Malto
02-27-2016, 08:46
I likely would have started with a mid design and scaled up to condo sizing. The advantage of a mid is 360 deg rain protection, lower wind profile and lower weight. I suspect you will find that the sides collapse into the tent when configured like the bottom picture in any wind. The shelter is literally a sail (I am guessing at least 32 sft.) and I suspect you will have some redesign to do. (Your timeouts are going to have to be really strong. As far as end rain protection, i believe you will have to do a combination of longer tarp AND a solid waterproof end. That is a tall height to try protecting and you would need a REALLY long tarp, like a total of 15-20' to get rain protection from even a 45 deg rain coming from either end.

Here is a couple photos of a conceptually similar shelter, tarp and net inner, though I was looking for the smallest functional space not a palace. The inner can also be set up separately for open views in buggy non-rainy weather.

With tarp and inner.

inner only

SWODaddy
02-27-2016, 10:30
I likely would have started with a mid design and scaled up to condo sizing. The advantage of a mid is 360 deg rain protection, lower wind profile and lower weight. I suspect you will find that the sides collapse into the tent when configured like the bottom picture in any wind. The shelter is literally a sail (I am guessing at least 32 sft.) and I suspect you will have some redesign to do. (Your timeouts are going to have to be really strong. As far as end rain protection, i believe you will have to do a combination of longer tarp AND a solid waterproof end. That is a tall height to try protecting and you would need a REALLY long tarp, like a total of 15-20' to get rain protection from even a 45 deg rain coming from either end.

Here is a couple photos of a conceptually similar shelter, tarp and net inner, though I was looking for the smallest functional space not a palace. The inner can also be set up separately for open views in buggy non-rainy weather.

With tarp and inner.

inner only

Who makes the inner bug net? TIA!

Gambit McCrae
02-27-2016, 11:27
This works nicely for directional storms, its a tent, and weighs 4 lbs lol

Tarptent - Storm proof as well

Malto
02-27-2016, 12:16
Who makes the inner bug net? TIA!

i made both.

SWODaddy
02-27-2016, 13:31
i made both.

Thought you might say that...looks good.

gotts63
05-26-2017, 09:59
too cool right on

Tipi Walter
05-26-2017, 10:47
Gambit knows the Art of Surviving in Style with his red Hilleberg. I also consider mine to be my 8 lb Mansion---

But for basecamp camping here is the real Mansion, and only at 75 lbs including all stakes and guylines etc---

https://photos.smugmug.com/Backpacking2007/ChickasawCreek/i-86BWMxS/0/15c2dec0/XL/Chickasaw%20Creek%20Camp-XL.jpg
Cabelas Xtreme Weather Tent set up on Chickasaw Creek in Monroe County, TN.