PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Departure Dates

Smile
12-20-2005, 00:52
Thanks Attroll for deleting the first, good suggestions were given about making this poll a little more detailed regarding dates for those who want to check out the crowds, and plan accordingly.

Went with the NoBo crowd on this one, looking forward to meeting some of the SoBo's up north!

Brad
12-28-2005, 17:00
Bumping to get some more views/votes for this version.

Frosty
12-28-2005, 20:50
March 1 via the Approach Trail

DavidNH
12-28-2005, 22:13
I don't know if this survey is at all represrentative of at hikers in general but it looks like folks are well spread out from febuary to May... perhaps spiking a bit in early April.

My self.. starting first full day of spring!

DavidNH

Smile
01-03-2006, 10:08
DavidNH, you're probably right as far as representation of all hikers - but gives a feel for those here in WB who decide to vote. It's pretty interesting that there isn't more of a spike.

As departure dates get closer, maybe others will vote or come along to this forum. I know for a while there I used to just click "new posts" and often missed out on searching actual forums.

Good idea to post here and "bump it up" once in a while like Brad did.

It's going to be a great year in 2006!

Everybody I've been in contact with so far have been terrific folks. Looking forward to putting a few faces with names out there...trailjournals.com is a great resource as well, some folks don't know about WB - always good to steer them to the best info IMO on the web!

Conductor
01-03-2006, 10:39
Just getting back around to WB, so I kicked in my date and see that I've bumped mid March into the lead. :jump Just lucky I guess.

Viewing the numbers on the ATC displays a trend towards significant reduction in the number of NoBo.
ATC Statistics (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.851143/k.C36D/2000Milers_Facts_and_Statistics.htm)
If this trend continues we may reasonably expect fewer than 1100 Nobos this season. I find it interesting though, that while the total number of hikers is decreasing, the completion rate is steadily increasing, and I attibute that to the excellent resources that are currently available, such as Whiteblaze and Trailjournals.

Happy Hiking

Smile
01-10-2006, 00:44
I wonder why the downward trend?
Actually, I think this was already discussed on another thread....anybody have the reference to it?

Smile
02-16-2006, 23:47
94 voters so far...anybody else?