PDA

View Full Version : approach trail Monday

snicklefitz
02-27-2016, 14:14
WooohoooooOoOOOOOOoooo!

So excited!

Lone Wolf
02-27-2016, 14:43
i'm droppin' a friend off around 11:30 or so at the visitors center. i'll drive up to springer and spend the nite. maybe i'll see ya

Sethern
02-27-2016, 15:08
I'm with you! Tuesday morning for me. I head out in the morning for Georgia. Going to be a great year!

Slo-go'en
02-27-2016, 15:58
There will probably be a pretty good crowd starting out in the next few days. Have fun!

snicklefitz
02-27-2016, 20:25
so great! I'm hoping to be at the visitors center by noon.

twistwrist
02-27-2016, 20:38
Yeah!!! :) I'm the ridgerunner working at the visitors center helping thru-hikers. I'll be here until around noon on Monday helping you get registered, weigh your pack, and can give you a pack shakedown if you want it. I finished my thru-hike on Dec 7, 2015. :) Can't wait to see you! Shorten your time here by registering on the ATC's website before you come:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/home/explore-the-trail/thru-hiking/voluntary-thru-hiker-registration

www.appalachiantrailclarity.com (http://www.appalachiantrailclarity.com) - A blog site geared toward new hikers. Cheers!

snicklefitz
02-27-2016, 21:39
I registered a few days ago, hopefully that saves a bit of time

namaste7
02-27-2016, 23:07
Wednesday for me. See y'all out there

Cheyou
02-28-2016, 08:37
Have a great time .

Thom

snicklefitz
02-28-2016, 18:00
thanks! i hope to

Sethern
02-28-2016, 20:30
I just got into Georgia. Stopped into Neel Gap on the way to the hotel room and saw a few hikers. So far has been a great time. Did have one jerk tell me I was too fat to be a thru-hiker. Guess you will find jerks in all walks of life.

Abatis1948
02-28-2016, 20:41
I just got into Georgia. Stopped into Neel Gap on the way to the hotel room and saw a few hikers. So far has been a great time. Did have one jerk tell me I was too fat to be a thru-hiker. Guess you will find jerks in all walks of life.
Jerks are a dime a dozen. Get out there and hike, but do not overdo it. I am on the fat side and I will never forget the look on afew hikers faces when my grandson and I met them just north of Plumorchard Shelter on our way to Dicks Creek. They were huffing and puffing and my grandson and I looked fresh and were having n oproblem. Did not tell them we just tooka fifteen-minute break. Enjoy your hike and when it starts to hurt slow down.Remember it is not a foot race.

Sethern
02-28-2016, 21:08
Jerks are a dime a dozen. Get out there and hike, but do not overdo it. I am on the fat side and I will never forget the look on afew hikers faces when my grandson and I met them just north of Plumorchard Shelter on our way to Dicks Creek. They were huffing and puffing and my grandson and I looked fresh and were having n oproblem. Did not tell them we just tooka fifteen-minute break. Enjoy your hike and when it starts to hurt slow down.Remember it is not a foot race.
Thanks I can't wait to start. Yeah I plan to start off slow. I am 6'3 285 lbs. just found it a bit jarring.

bemental
02-28-2016, 21:12
Hopping on a plane early tomorrow morning, Tuesday morning I'll be atop Springer.

Totally stoked.

Abatis1948
02-28-2016, 21:47
Hopping on a plane early tomorrow morning, Tuesday morning I'll be atop Springer.

Totally stoked.

I love it! Have fun.

bigcranky
02-28-2016, 21:51
Thanks I can't wait to start. Yeah I plan to start off slow. I am 6'3 285 lbs. just found it a bit jarring.

Yeah, that is kinda jarring just hearing about it from afar. Some folks do not know how to keep from being judgmental. Ignore them.

bigcranky
02-28-2016, 21:51

Totally stoked.

Awesome, dude. Happy trails. :)

Lone Wolf
02-28-2016, 21:58

Totally stoked.

i may see you

show me the monkey
03-01-2016, 10:54

Totally stoked.
Nothing better than the anticipation of a long hike and putting the complexities of your other life on hold!

Cookerhiker
03-01-2016, 11:21
WooohoooooOoOOOOOOoooo!

So excited!

I hiked up and back on the Approach Trail yesterday so I probably saw you.

Cookerhiker
03-01-2016, 11:21
i'm droppin' a friend off around 11:30 or so at the visitors center. i'll drive up to springer and spend the nite. maybe i'll see ya

I met him on yesterday's up-and-back on the Approach Trail. He told me you had shuttled him.

Lone Wolf
03-03-2016, 16:08
I met him on yesterday's up-and-back on the Approach Trail. He told me you had shuttled him.

he said he met someone that knew me :) i was on springer waiting on him. over 30 started the 29th

twistwrist
03-06-2016, 19:48

Oh dang, that's awful. Hike your own pace and you will be fine. People of all shapes and sizes are successful. Truly it's more of a mental game than a physical one. You've got this! Mind over matter wins every time!

sadlowskiadam
03-07-2016, 13:40
People are stupid. Just take it slow the first 3-4 weeks. You have plenty of time and there is no need to hurry. I'll be honest, I started my thru hike with a bunch of 20 year olds and my 34 year old body simply would not allow me to keep up with them in the beginning; by Harper's Ferry, I was able to keep up with the younger hikers because I lost that 30-40 lbs of useless fat I was carrying around. In the first month, don't be surprised if you lose about one pound per day. In 2013, I thru hiked with a guy who started Springer Mtn. weighing in at 325lbs, and he finished his thru hike at 205 lbs. The weigh will come off gradually, but steadily. Best of luck to you. Wish I could go with you, but the real world keeps getting in the way.