PDA

View Full Version : First timers

Myshkin
12-20-2005, 01:56
Hi. My wife and I are planning on starting a Southbound thu-hike in July of '06. We've never hiked it before and are currently volunteering as teachers in china. We know we should start planning now and equipment is fractions cheeper here. So, basically, we've read a bunch on the site, but not a lot is for southbound hikers. We just need good advice from people who've done it. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks a bunch,
Nic

P.S. If there's somewhere else I should post this, please let me know.

JP
12-20-2005, 08:34
Get the guide books and maps from the ATC store. It describes the trail going in both directions. Mail ahead the ones you dont need in a bounce box. Have fun !

Jaybird
12-20-2005, 09:32
Hi. My wife and I are planning on starting a Southbound thu-hike in July of '06. We've never hiked it before and are currently volunteering as teachers in china. We know we should start planning now and equipment is fractions cheeper here. So, basically, we've read a bunch on the site, but not a lot is for southbound hikers. We just need good advice from people who've done it. Any guidance would be much appreciated.Thanks a bunch,Nic P.S. If there's somewhere else I should post this, please let me know.

Nic:

You can check out the A.T.C. website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.694599/k.CCB5/Home.htm)for pointers for both Nobo-ers & Sobo-ers.

ALSO a website for SouthBounders (http://www.southbounders.com/)including a movie about the subject.:D

hope this helps...& good luck with yer hike!

khaynie
12-20-2005, 09:37
My wife and I just completed a SOBO thru-hike. This may be blasphemy on this site, but we used Wingfoot's Thru-hikers Handbook (www.trailplace.com (http://www.trailplace.com)) in conjunction with the ATC topo maps. It worked great. We didn't use mail-drops as a means of resuppling - we chose to go into town every 3-7 days for resupply. Never had the first problem with that choice. However, we did have my Mom forward us our "cold weather gear" in Southern Virginia. That was pretty much our only mail drop with the exception of some care packages our freinds sent. All that to say, that we really didn't do too much planning. The hardest part was selling our house, quitting our jobs, and gettting to Maine. Walking was easy. Check out our trip at www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith (http://www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith)

Johnny Swank
12-20-2005, 12:13
I did a SOBO in 2000 and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

When in July do you plan on starting? I (we) started july 1 and were behind the bulk of the "crowd". Most folks look like they started about June 15th and got ate up with blackflies, but at least they had some company to commerserate with.

rickb
12-20-2005, 13:05
A SOBO hike isn't all that different from a northbound hike-- just better. :)

July is a busy month in the Baxter State Park.

Depending on your ability to plan ahead, you might want to think about securing reservations at KATAHDIN STREAM CAMPGROUND for two nights-- the first night is for when you arrive in the park, and the second night is so you have the perfect place to flop after coming off the Mountain.

These reservations are made on a rolling basis 4 months in advance. You can click here: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/rules/index.html . Since they have to be done by mail, you would probably want to have some help state side.

Looking for equipment in China has got to be a blast! I am guessing the hard thing will be making sure you don't end up buying stuff that is too heavy. Saving $7 on a Nalgene bottle won't seem like such a good deal if you toss it at first opportunity in favour of a free Coke bottle. Some of the popular backpacking equipment makes (Northface etc.) can be just too heavy for thru hiking-- even if free.

As far as asking where to ask questions, you are in the right place. Or in the thru hiker thread, it makes little difference. Don't hesitate to post specific questions. They are easiest to answer and get the most response.

Rick B

Myshkin
12-20-2005, 22:40
China's great, but the thing is, since we're first-timers, I'm not sure of the best way to go on any of it. They have a lot of North Face, Upland, and a bunch of other stuff. However, like I said, I'm not sure of the best brands out of what I'm able to get. Money is an issue for us, so I want to be the smartest about it ahead of time, so as to have money to finish it. Some of our biggest questions are in regards to the weather, shoes, and what the bare necessitites are. I'd like to hear it from a Sobo horse's mouth if possible, ya know. Just don't wanna get my wife a month in and freeze her to death.

rickb
12-21-2005, 16:46
Just don't wanna get my wife a month in and freeze her to death.

My guess is that if that happens, it will be on a 50* summit when you are soaked to the bone, and are regretting not having brought a rain jacket with a hood and a warm dry top or sweater.

I started SOBO 23 years ago on July 13th. Coincidently right after returning to the states from teaching abroad. Others' more recent experience can be found by checking out www.trailjournals.com

That said, I bet you look back on your first couple months on the AT as being hot, rather than cold. Its the last few months that will bring freezing temps. Might you have nights in the 40*s on the higher summits of NH? Yes. Could it be chilly up on Katahdin? Sure. A warm hat and top and rain jacket are needed.

But most of your days will be hiking in shorts and a T-shirt, I bet. At least for the first few months. I am thinking that a 20* bag for a SOBO (like all the northbounders use) might not be such a bad idea since they are so light, but you will most certainly sleep with it unzipped many nights-- if not on top of it. I used a very cheap K-mart bag for the first half of my hike and was chilly just a few night in NH. You will definitely need the warmth of 20* bag come fall and early winter.

To my way of thinking, a tarp isn't an option for a SOBO. Too many bugs. Take a tent. In the Summer, camp groups may well monopolize the shelters, so a comfortable alternative is worth the weight. I have a thing against really cheap tents, though. YMMV.

However, like I said, I'm not sure of the best brands out of what I'm able to get.

While brands can give you a good idea of the quality of stitching and the like, I think you may have a challenge ahead. For example, while North Face might have an excellent rain jacket for 99% of its buyers, it might suck for a thru hike if it weighs too much. You might consider taking a scale as you go shopping. If nothing else, it should make for a lot of fun as people gather around to see how American buy clothing.

As for whether or not to go with trail runners or a light weight hiking boot, there is plenty of stuff on this site about that. Both work well. You might keep in mind that one pair won't be enough, but also that some people's feet can grow on a thru hike.

Hiking poles are popular.

I honestly don't know if there are any special considerations for a SOBOs backpack. One things that might make a difference is that you will need to carry more food at first-- probably 10# more than a northbounder does.

As for sleeping pads-- they are a necessity. While insulation isn't so important for a SOBO, I told myself otherwise, but after 1000 miles I found I was wrong. Good sleep is more important than any weight savings enjoyed by doing without. The self inflating "Thermarest Pads" are very expensive in the states. You would want one of the lighter ones, if they can be found.

Stoves. A free alcohol stove is better than an expensive (heavy) one, no matter the cost savings. Pots? A cheap aluminum pot is lighter than titanium. If you can find one with a lid, all the better. Water filter? Plenty about that on this site. I'd just take chemicals.

RickB

ARambler
12-21-2005, 22:05
You can get a whole platoon of terra cotta solders. They don't do very good mileage, but they don't complain when you give them all your heavy gear.;)

You should be very careful about what you buy in China. I bought a North Face jacket on silk street fully expecting it to be a fake or possibly a second. The down started leaking out of the seams very quickly. The seams started to tear after a couple of seasons, but I paid so little that it may have been worth it. It was warm but way too heavy for backpacking. I would make sure what you buy is exactly like the US model.

I don't think you will find a good deal on imported equipment. So if you can't find something you know is authentic, wait until you return. There is a lot of equipment made in China. You might look for the bigger brands that are not the most chic. Kelty might be a good example. There must be some good down bags somewhere in China (if not the Xian desert). You might get a silk sleeping bag liner custom made and start a little import business when other 06-SOBO's have to have one.
Rambler

Myshkin
12-22-2005, 00:31
Yeah, the silk street and the like sell the wretched fakes for a few yuan. However, trekking has become quite popular here in Xi'an and they have actual Hiking and Trekking outfitters that sell a lot of stuff for a price cheaper than the States, yet much more expensive that silk street or whatever.
Maybe I'll get a list of brands sold there and post them here and you guys can give a suggestion or two. Thanks for all the help already. We really appreciate it.