PDA

View Full Version : Mountaintop 50l pack

left52side
02-28-2016, 07:33
Hey just curious if anyone has used or tried this pack out.
I read some reviews and some videos on it and decided to buy it from amazon for the price and functionality of it.
It only weighs 2lbs and seems to be really well built with ykk buckles and the two zippers it has.
But just seeing if anyone has acctually put it out on a hike.

Slo-go'en
02-28-2016, 13:05
The Amazon page lists the weight as 3.6 pounds. 2 pound packs are usually pretty flimsy. I have a North Face day pack which is over 2 pounds and it's only 35L.

The reviews all sounded good for the most part, but none of them had used the pack extensively. The non-adjustable torso length could be a problem for some. But it's hard to beat the price. You might have to be the one to put it to the test.

left52side
03-01-2016, 19:16
The Amazon page lists the weight as 3.6 pounds. 2 pound packs are usually pretty flimsy. I have a North Face day pack which is over 2 pounds and it's only 35L.

The reviews all sounded good for the most part, but none of them had used the pack extensively. The non-adjustable torso length could be a problem for some. But it's hard to beat the price. You might have to be the one to put it to the test.

There are several listed weights for this pack on amazon.
I actually bought mine because of reviews I seen on youtube and customer reviews which said the pack was two lbs.
I weighed it when I received mine and it weighs out at 2.2 lbs ,
That could easily be modified to reach probably 1.7 lbs.
This pack almost seemed to good to be true but it is quite nice for the price.
We will see how it holds up next year on the thru.

DuneElliot
03-02-2016, 10:35

The 65L version has similar reviews but also adjustable torso.

left52side
03-03-2016, 09:30
The 65L version has similar reviews but also adjustable torso.
This is cool,A bit big of a pack for me as I am used to and like using A 50l,it is A perfect size for me.
But that is really cool about the adjustable torso on the 65l.

left52side
03-18-2016, 18:43
But it's hard to beat the price. You might have to be the one to put it to the test.

Just got back from A 43 mile two day trip and I must say that this pack has been great.
It handled a load of about 28 lbs and rested nicely,I only wish the back had A bit more ventilation than it does,there was some minor discomfort in my shoulders after about 14 miles in but I adjusted the strap correctly and it didnt bother me anymore.
So far so good.

Cedar1974
04-18-2016, 09:42
Just got back from A 43 mile two day trip and I must say that this pack has been great.
It handled a load of about 28 lbs and rested nicely,I only wish the back had A bit more ventilation than it does,there was some minor discomfort in my shoulders after about 14 miles in but I adjusted the strap correctly and it didnt bother me anymore.
So far so good.

Glad to hear this. A friend of mine showed me this same pack on Amazon, and hearing this from a non biased person helps since I believe she is planning to get this pack. I parsonally have my eyes on a ULA OHM or a Catayst, because I plan on carrying any extra water we might need on the trail. I know, call me crazy, but it is just the old Boyscout in me that wants the large pockets on the sides that can each hold a 2 liter bottle of water.

left52side
04-18-2016, 21:56
Glad to hear this. A friend of mine showed me this same pack on Amazon, and hearing this from a non biased person helps since I believe she is planning to get this pack. I parsonally have my eyes on a ULA OHM or a Catayst, because I plan on carrying any extra water we might need on the trail. I know, call me crazy, but it is just the old Boyscout in me that wants the large pockets on the sides that can each hold a 2 liter bottle of water.

Cool let me know if your friend is interested in one... mine has about 100 miles on it but is in l\new condition.
I myself picked up A six moon designs fusion 50 on clearance and I could get rid of my moutaintop pack on trade or cheaper.

nsherry61
04-18-2016, 22:13
Cool let me know if your friend is interested in one... mine has about 100 miles on it but is in l\new condition.
I myself picked up A six moon designs fusion 50 on clearance and I could get rid of my moutaintop pack on trade or cheaper.
Any insight into why you decided to get a different pack instead of sticking with the Mountaintop 50?

left52side
04-19-2016, 06:28
Any insight into why you decided to get a different pack instead of sticking with the Mountaintop 50?
The SMD was A great price,as well as it had A mesh front pocket on it and the layout I liked more than the conventional style of backpacks with the top brain compartment and etc.
I also think the SMD style roll top pack was more geared for me.
And more so because I generally like to buy different stuff and try it out for different situations.