PDA

View Full Version : Springer Mtn Hypothermia

yankeereaper56
02-28-2016, 11:47
Hello all: I did an out and back on the Benton-Mackey this weekend (Fri and Sat). It was brutal on the top of Springer Fri morning at sunup, 26 deg snow on the ground and a stiff wind out of the northwest. As I returned to the parking area Sat I was speaking with "slowlee" and he told me of a young man who had to be medevac'd out of the area. As I was leaving I chatted with a DNR officer and he confirmed the story. Apparently the young man was having life issues and was totally unprepared for the conditions. Tennis shoes, blue jeans a t-shirt and a summer rated tent. Can anyone chime in on this story, is the young man OK? A reminder to all if you see a fellow hiker in distress get help for them. I saw a lot of hikers on the trail many not really prepared very well. Winter is not over yet. John...

colorado_rob
02-28-2016, 12:00
Reminds me of what I saw yesterday here in CO, up in the nearby mountains at a place called "St. Mary's glacier" (it's not an actual glacier). It got up to 73 degrees in Denver yesterday. Up on St. Marys, about 30 miles west but at 10,000 feet, it was maybe 35 degrees, still unseasonably warm, but with steady 40-50 MPH winds, meaning probably single digit wind chill temps.

Our group (a mountaineering class) was in full-on winter conditions garb, many layers, balaclavas, etc. Coming down from our climb (James Peak, above SM glacier), we saw a party of 3 young men in shorts, light jackets but no hats or gloves actually heading up; they were absolutely suffering, I'm sure at least mildly hypothermic, and starting to develop some frost nip on their ears. Yikes! I'm sure they gave up and headed down to the trees. They were in no danger as they were 5 minutes from tree shelter and 20 minutes from their vehicles.

bstiffler
02-28-2016, 12:37
New to the Appalachian trail this year but maybe people look at the averages and don't take into account elevation/ temperature changes. From what I can find in april/ may temps are around 70/50 but am planning for 50's during day and 40's at night. with my sleeping bag and liner I should be ok down to 30's in an emergency at night. I'm also planning on taking a pair of lightweight thermals just in case. Probably overkill but I'm a florida flat lander and it's probably going to take a few days to acclimate to mountain temps.

Uncle Joe
02-28-2016, 12:51
New to the Appalachian trail this year but maybe people look at the averages and don't take into account elevation/ temperature changes. From what I can find in april/ may temps are around 70/50 but am planning for 50's during day and 40's at night. with my sleeping bag and liner I should be ok down to 30's in an emergency at night. I'm also planning on taking a pair of lightweight thermals just in case. Probably overkill but I'm a florida flat lander and it's probably going to take a few days to acclimate to mountain temps.

Not overkill at all. You could see temps drop into the 30's easily.

CoconutTree
02-28-2016, 17:15
... I should be ok down to 30's in an emergency at night.

bstiffler, you will have lots of "emergencies" since 30s in April is average low for some of the higher mountain tops.

4eyedbuzzard
02-28-2016, 19:47
Unfortunately, people will use weather averages from towns as what they should prepare for on the trail. They neglect to compensate for deviation from averages, elevation, wind, changes during transition months, etc.

For example, the average minimum temp during the month of March in Blairsville, GA (1917' ASL) is about 33°F. But that minimum is based upon a average over the course of the entire month, and March generally starts out cold, and ends warmer. On any given day temperatures could easily be 15° or 20° degrees lower, or even more. Which is why in early March some thru-hikers with 30 degree bags freeze their butts off. FWIW, the record low in March is -5°F. That's a 38° differential from the "average low" at the same elevation and probably closer to 45° factoring in another 2000' in elevation. http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistory/PastWeatherData_BlairsvilleExpStn_Blairsville_GA_M arch.html

It all comes down to ignorance (not using the word in a disrespectful sense).

When planning a section, I generally look at averages, then compensate for elevation, and prepare for 20 degrees colder, which is a very typical deviation.

Record temps during transition months are unpredictable. Nothing is better than an up-to-date forecast.

I use this old chart that's no longer on ATC's website http://web.archive.org/web/20050409143931/http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hike/plan/temp.html (then factor in elevation AND subtract another 20° for differential) and also this weather data base for planning http://weather-warehouse.com/WeatherHistoryListing/monthlyWeatherDataStart.html

4eyedbuzzard
02-28-2016, 19:59
bstiffler, you will have lots of "emergencies" since 30s in April is average low for some of the higher mountain tops.Yeah. With an early April start, I'd expect to see some 20 deg overnights.

Doctari
02-28-2016, 20:39
3 of the 4 times I've had noticeable Hypothermia the temps NEVER got below 45. But it was: rain &, windy, & even though I was prepared, (THANKFULLY!!) for the weather, It still kicked my butt. On numbers 1 2 & 3, I simply stopped once I realized I was in trouble (OK, time #1 I had to be told) #4 my companions & I "ran for it" as we were only 1.25 from help. My wife says it took me over 3 weeks to get back to normal mentally after #4.
Going out unprepared for the weather & without a plan for if you get that cold is IMHO, Irresponsible. For me, episode #4 went well* because we had a "what if" plan.
As JRRT says, "It's a dangerous thing going out your door"
I'm glad the hiker on the post survived, & without knowing more, I have to hope he learns to be prepared for the weather better.
What we do can be dangerous people! So be careful out there.

*as in all 4 of us survived!

Grampie
02-28-2016, 20:40
In 2000 I met a hiker from New Zealand at Hawk Mt. shelter. He had no sleeping bag, just a sort of quilt. If it wasn't for a hiker who gave him a emergency Mylar space blanket to wrap in I'm sure he would have been over come with hypothermia. It was early April and the temp went down to the lower 20s.

Slo-go'en
02-28-2016, 22:45
Overnight temps usually are the problem. A cold front moves in late afternoon or after dark and suddenly it's in the 20's or colder. If your cutting it close with your gear and it gets too cold for comfort, instead of laying there freezing to death, it's best to get up, pack up and get moving. Your not going to get any sleep anyway, except maybe the kind you don't ever wake up from, so you might as well get going. These mid spring cold snaps typically don't last more then a day. Having a couple of "I just hope I can stay alive until dawn!" nights is part of the experience.

But if you become hypothermic during the day while hiking, then your in trouble. That probably means your wet and tired too, so it will be more difficult to recover from. Find or make shelter as soon as possible, dry off and make a hot drink. And do it before you loose the trail and wander off.

Captain Bluebird
02-28-2016, 23:24
I was on Tray Mountain, elevation 4200, end of March last year. It got down to 9 degrees that night. Got up the next morning only to find my boots frozen and two bottles of water in my tent frozen. My 15 degree rated bag just didn't quite cut it. I slept with all my clothes on including my down jacket and fleece. The next day, sunny and well above freezing. I am better prepared as a result of my experience on Tray.

bstiffler
02-29-2016, 06:12
bstiffler, you will have lots of "emergencies" since 30s in April is average low for some of the higher mountain tops.

oops meant late april / late may but still can get cold that time of year. Id rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Badger Ski
02-29-2016, 09:55
At elevation below freezing temperatures are still possible all through May.

Roamin
02-29-2016, 14:03
Along with inexperience, IMHO, the desire to lighten their pack leaves many hikers in jeopardy. Inexperienced hikers hear all the conversations about lightening their packs and ultralight hiking, but fail to carry necessary gear.

Abatis1948
02-29-2016, 15:47
I think the problem is folks just do not do the proper research. Here on WB you will see folks post they are going to start their hikes in two or three years. These folks will do the research and read the journals. You will see them post questions about when and where to start and what type of gear to bring. I will be willing to bet the majority of those who need to be rescued or quite between Springer and Woody Gap have never heard of White Blaze or any other site dedicated to hiking the AT. It's just natural selection.

JumpMaster Blaster
02-29-2016, 19:49
Blue jeans??? I won't even DAYHIKE in blue jeans. Ever.

Captain Bluebird
02-29-2016, 21:36
I think the problem is folks just do not do the proper research. Here on WB you will see folks post they are going to start their hikes in two or three years. These folks will do the research and read the journals. You will see them post questions about when and where to start and what type of gear to bring. I will be willing to bet the majority of those who need to be rescued or quite between Springer and Woody Gap have never heard of White Blaze or any other site dedicated to hiking the AT. It's just natural selection. Totally agree!

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 12:42
Thanks 4eyed buzzard for your comment about average temps. Yea look at average temps. But you must also find out what the record low was. That is the temp you need to prepare for. As Mr. 4 said can easily be 20* less. And as he said adjust for elevation.
Safety 1st.

Casey & Gina
03-01-2016, 13:15
Blue jeans??? I won't even DAYHIKE in blue jeans. Ever.

Haha, I do sometimes when it's cold, but they're never my only layer. Really I just need to get a good softshell I think.

Hangfire
03-01-2016, 14:36
I can remember a few years ago being stuck at Gooch Mtn shelter for a couple of days as a bitter early April storm rolled through. The shelter was full to the rim with hikers and there were tents set up as far as the eye could see, well not really but close enough. Anyways in the afternoon of the second day a group of guys comes stumbling into camp just soaked to the bone, jeans, flannel shirts, everything was just wrong these guys. Well it turned out they they were high school seniors from Atlanta on a spring break expedition and bit off a little more than they could chew. We had been trying to get a fire started all afternoon with very limited success as the cold windy wet weather and the wet wood was just not cooperating. I can remember looking at these guys standing there shivering, everything they had was drenched including their sleeping bags and I thought, we better get this fire started. About an hour later and no less than 6 fire starting experts including myself (I had no idea what I was doing) using lighters, paper from the awol guide, cotton balls in Vaseline, finally got a decent fire started (I had to laugh watching Leo's incredible fire making abilities in the Revenant). They survived, got their Big 5 sleeping bags and tents dried out as they huddled and attended to the fire for the next several hours, but it was a real eye opener for me as to what could happen to you if you are unprepared or make a bad decision out on the trail.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 14:51
prayers to him and his family that he will be ok... this is the issue with lack of knowledge and over confidence :(