PDA

View Full Version : Please critique my gear list...

jgop_151
12-20-2005, 02:38
Hello,
I'll be attempting a NOBO thru-hike beginning on March 15th 2006 with my best friend. I want to make sure my gear list is as perfect possible before I leave so I am looking for some advice and criticism. Here it is...

Misc:
LL Bean/Komperdell Vario Hikelight trekking poles 17.6 (oz.)
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Pack with ‘The Lid’: 50.0
Sea to summit silnylon pack rain cover 4.6
Trash compactor bag pack liner 2.3
Leatherman Micra 1.7
2 bandanas 1.7
50’ Bear bagging para cord 3.7
Petzl Zipka Plus headlamp + batteries 2.3
Keychain LED backup 0.3
No-see-um head net 0.8
Mylar emergency blanket 1.6
Thru-hikers handbook 7.0
ATC maps (not all at once) 70.0
Journal & Pen 2.1
ID, debit card, CA$H, travel wallet, calling card (just # & pin #) 1.0
Watch 1.4
Camera, case, 6 AA nimh batteries, nimh travel charger, card reader 16.0

Sleep/Shelter:
Western Mountaineering Vision Long 15 deg. bag w/ stuff sack 35.0
Cocoon silk mummy liner w/ stuff sack 4.6
Thermarest Women’s Prolite 4 pad w/ stuff sack 24.9
LL Bean Microlight 2 Tent
-12 Stakes w/ stuff sack 7.1
-Aluminum poles w/ stuff sack 10.7
-Fly 22.6
-Tent 25.4
-Tent Stuff Sack 2.0
-Fly Stuff sack 2.0
-Tyvek footprint ????

Cooking/Food:
Silnylon food stuff sack 1.0
1 Gatorade Endurance 34 oz. bottle 2.2
1 Nalgene 32 oz. bottle (hot liquids & measuring) 6.2
Snowpeak titanium spork 0.5
P38 can opener (not sure if I’ll need this) ?????
Aquamira water treatment 3.0
Mountain Suds 2 oz. biodegradable soap 2.7
Pepsi/Guiness alcohol stove 0.4
12 oz. plastic Pepsi fuel bottle (switch for Nalgene 12oz. flask?) 0.9
Cricket electric lighter 0.5
1.3L aluminum pot & lid 5.8
pot gripper 1.5
windscreen 2.0
pot cozy 1.9
Nalgene 96 oz. collapsible canteen 2.4
Mesh stuff sack 0.5

Health/Hygiene:
Stuff sack 1.2
Nail clipper 0.7
ear plugs 0.3
1 roll TP (middle removed and roll flattened) 5.6
Bodyglide 1.3 oz. 3.3
Toothbrush 0.5
Travel size toothpaste 1.0
Travel size Gold Bond Powder 1.6
Travel size bug dope 1.0
Travel size hand sanitizer 1.0
Multivitamin ?????

Clothing/Apparel:
Stuff sack (clean cloths) 1.0
2 gallon ziplock (dirty cloths) 1.0
LL Bean tan zip off pants 14.6
Decathalon Quecha navy rain jacket (laundry top) 8.2
Pacific Crest L green water resistant rain pants (laundry bottom) 5.9
Comfort Skins long underwear top 5.7
Asics silver short sleeve XL shirt 5.3
Starter Dri-star long sleeve L blue shirt 7.2
Silk long underwear pants (switch for synthetic?) 4.1
RIDE mittens with liner 7.8
Nike Clima-fit orange ball cap 1.9
Old Navy fleece hat 1.4
Crocs camp shoes 13.8
(3 pair) SmartWool Adrenaline ¾ cut socks 6.0
FOOTWEAR ??? (trail runners- not sure which) ??????
Superfeet green insoles F ??????
OR low gaiters (not sure if I want em or not) ??????

What else do I need? What should I skip? Any advice is more than welcome. FYI, I am going to try to avoid doing mail drops and just get everything I need as I go.

Thanks!

Seeker
12-20-2005, 03:04
Just a couple quick things i noticed. mostly redundancies, but you may have your own reasons (HYOH).

pack cover and bag liner? redundant in some climates. yes, the AT is very wet.
bear bagging cord (triptease is lighter, but you might be worried about cutting into a tree branch. your call.)
ATC maps... 70oz? seems kinda heavy... or maybe that's all of them together...
nalgene bottle. you can get two of the big aqua fina bottles AND a small plastic measuring cup for less than the weight of the nalgene bottle... hot liquids go just fine in the plastic cup. shouldn't be so cold that you'll need to make a hot water bottle out of it, but that's again up to you.
zip off pants-not a big fan of pants, when long underwear and rain pants will do. again, i see it as redundant weight but you may feel otherwise.

pot-could be lighter, but it's close enough... walmart grease pot with an added bail/handle is just about 4.5 oz (you'd be able to drop the pot holder too, and save a couple more ounces).

missing-any sort of jacket/fleece top thingy?

jgop_151
12-20-2005, 03:58
Thanks for the quick reply!

Forgot to add:
-LL Bean 100 weight fleece pullover 9.6
-microfiber boxer briefs to sleep in 1.7
-first aid kit (what to bring?)

Never heard of triptease...I'll check it out, if its lighter, I'm all for it.

I like the idea of switching out the nalgene bottle for a small plastic cup. I'll probably just pick up another Gatorade Endurance bottle. They seem pretty tough and fit on the sides of my pack well.

My thought with zipoff pants is that the legs will add warmth or bug protection when and if I need it.

I would really like to keep all my stuff dry, but if it turns out to be overkill, I'll send the pack cover home.

I'd like at least a one liter pot as I like a bit bigger meals than some, so the grease pot is out (hard to clean under rolled lip too). Wanted the Evernew 1.3 titanium one, but my aluminum one was free. Might send the pot lifter home if I don't use it much.

Things I can't decide on:
Low gaiters: yay or nay?
Silk vs. bergelene long underwear pants?
:-?

Almost There
12-20-2005, 12:54
Impossible to keep all of your stuff dry!!!! Also I would only bring two pairs of socks, 3 is over kill. Screw the long underwear if you are bringing pants. Keep your core upperbody warm and legs don't matter so much. If you get cold put your rain pants on over your pants, trust me they'll keep you warm.

Much of your stuff you will only carry thru the Smokies, after which I would advocate sending home until you get up into New England and then have it sent back to you. You won't need rain gear once it gets warm, and obviously the fleece, long underwear, winter gear, etc. will be pointless as well!

Your list looks pretty decent, considering the gear you have, good luck!!!

Seeker
12-20-2005, 13:30
kelty triptease... about $15 a 50' roll. weighs an ounce.

pants/zipoffs/longjohns/rainpants. if you're walking, your legs will be warm. i know a former special forces guy who said his team never wore pants, even in winter... they froze when they stopped, but they humped a lot of weight and managed to stay hot most of the time... only problem was some of them got frostbitten shins, where the skin is so thin... i never had a bug problem in the smokies (but then, i'm used to LA and it's flocks of mosquitos).

grease pot... i keep forgetting about that lip... i'm pretty good with tools, so i managed to cut the lip off and file it completely flat. i added a wire handle (then got a Titan kettle for a gift). i understand about bigger appetites. i don't have one, but i know what you mean.

first aid kit... carry most of it in your head. my opinion (and it's just that) is that falls, breaks, sprains, punctures, and blisters are the most common ailments among hikers/campers. colds, flu, food poisoning, and diarrhea are also things you might face. the important thing is to administer first aid. that means you're not a doctor, you're just trying to stabilize someone, or yourself, till you can get them/yourself to a doctor. your bandanas and hiking poles will be adequate for any splinting you need to do. out of habit, i still carry an army field dressing and triangle bandage. i know how to use them for a variety of things. bring a few bandaids/blister treatment, etc (keeps the small stuff from becoming big stuff), your choice of cold/flu/alergy/sinus/diarrhea/cell phone/battery charger/gps medicines, and that's about it. there are some pretty cool bandaids pre-treated with neosporin that i really like, so i don't have to carry the tube. you can also ask your doc for free samples in really small portions.

Alligator
12-20-2005, 14:33
Stick with the pepsi bottle for fuel. If its the red nalgene plastic fuel bottle, it's heavier and not worth the extra weight.

12 stakes? You can get by with 6-8. I'd buy a set of titanium and save 4-5 ozs.

The can opener is light, but carrying canned goods adds a lot of weight.

Battery charger and card reader should go. Buy batteries and only carry one extra set.

Leave the head net home until the bugs come out.

I'd keep the 3rd pair of socks. Be kind to your feet for they bear you.

jgop_151
12-21-2005, 01:00
Rather than buying bergelene underwear pants, I'll just stick with the silk (no need of spending more money if it I don't even need them altogether). If it turns out I'm warm enough without the silk ones, I'll ship them home.

Those treated bandaids sound like a good idea.

I have some titanium stakes. I think I'll take those - good idea. How do you get by holding the tent and fly down with 6-8 stakes?

Here is the nalgene flask I was looking at... http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=163
I was thinking this would be good because it has volume markings so I knew exactly how much I have left. Not to mention the cap that holds 1 fluid ounce. Also can fit well in my pocket to keep the alcohol warm if its cold out.

Are there advantages to using paracord over triptease? Paracord = cheaper & heavier, Triptease = more expensive & light?

Send cold weather gear home at Damascus?

I plan on hitting a library a couple times to upload photos so I think I'll keep the card reader...Its the size of my leatherman micra, weighs 4/10 of an ounce, and is plug and play. My camera eats alkaline batteries and won't work with lithium, so I figured the couple ounces of the charger would be worth what I saved in money from buying alkalines. I think I might ditch one set of batteries (so long as I can charge my two other sets about once a week).

Thanks for all the responses! Keep 'em comin'

Seeker
12-21-2005, 01:32
How do you get by holding the tent and fly down with 6-8 stakes?

one in each corner, 2 for pole tie outs, 2 for side tie outs? i dunno... does your tent really require more?

triptease is just lighter... i think it's rated to about 90 lbs... paracord is rated a lot higher.... you can get spectra cord in higher ratings, but the yellow stuff is good enough for what i need. i use one roll for the food bag, the other has been cut up into tarp tie outs.

just thought of some other stuff too... a small knife (even just to cut jerky up into your meals, but more for cuttng cord, tape, etc...) and a repair kit (needles, thread/floss, duct tape).

does your pack really weigh 50 oz? seems like you could get away with a lighter pack too... but that's a personal thing... if you like what you have, and it carries well, go for it... you can always buy another one along the way as you sort stuff out... but it looks good so far.

Jester2000
12-21-2005, 07:06
I'll post again once I look at your list in depth, but just a couple of thoughts:

Your cold gear shouldn't go home 'til after you pass Mt. Rodgers. Ask for nightmare stories if you want to know why. Get them sent back to you no later (I think) than Hanover.

As far as tent stakes -- is it free standing? I only actually use one stake to nail my tent to the ground, and a few more for the fly. I suppose it depends on the tent, and you'll know best. Try staking it out in the yard with fewer and fewer 'til you know the minimum. And remember -- there are lots of sticks in the woods. Many of them are stake shaped, if necessary.

You will need a knife. Sooner or later, if only to open that package of special browniesyour cousin sent. The one with way too much tape sealing it shut. But your leatherman tool has one, yes?

As far as the Nalgene for measuring, I know that looks good, but premeasure some liquids into the other container you carry and mark it off with duct tape or something else permanent (not marker -- that'll rub off). Works well and is lighter.

Keep the pack cover and the liner bag -- contractor bags work well and are durable, and plan on some Ziploc Gallon Freezer bags for TP and other essentials. Despite what you may hear, you CAN keep some things dry, even though not everything will stay dry.

As previously mentioned, I'd go with three pair socks, even (and especially) if one pair is only for camp use. Do not screw with your feet. They're the only thing worse than a woman scorned. Good luck! See you in Billville!

Alligator
12-21-2005, 10:52
I have some titanium stakes. I think I'll take those - good idea. How do you get by holding the tent and fly down with 6-8 stakes?

Others have discussed, but I can conservatively get by with 6, 4 for the corners and two for the vestibule. I only take my tent out in the winter though, so I bring eight. You can also tie out the fly using a heavy stick, a large rock, low branches, or woody shrubs.

I bring six titanium stakes with me for my tarp.

That flask isn't big enough for adult beverages:D ! Oh, it's for your stove fuel. (Sorry, Christmas is coming and I usually get a nice bottle of something this time of year that I bring backpacking) I use a soda bottle for fuel, but you could use a platypus and figure out a better measuring device. I trust my platypus inside my winter parka. I have a shot glass off a Coughlins flask that is about an ounce. It could be eyeballed to the 1/4 oz. Just a thought. That double walled flask is surely heavier than you need.

Seeker
12-21-2005, 14:27
if you're worried about 'measuring' your stove alcohol, just use the soda bottle cap... three is just about a half ounce...

as far as measuring cooking water, i noticed that i got a ring inside my grease pot at the 2-cup mark once i cooked in it a couple times... but i still measure it with a cup... nothing much worse then runny lipton (well, ok. NO lipton is worse, but you know what i mean...)

Alligator
12-21-2005, 14:43
if you're worried about 'measuring' your stove alcohol, just use the soda bottle cap... three is just about a half ounce...

as far as measuring cooking water, i noticed that i got a ring inside my grease pot at the 2-cup mark once i cooked in it a couple times... but i still measure it with a cup... nothing much worse then runny lipton (well, ok. NO lipton is worse, but you know what i mean...)
I don't worry as of yet, as I still use my Trangia, but that's a good tip. A nice feature of a new pot that I got is that it has measures stamped on the metal. You'd think this would be easy and smart to do.

neo
12-21-2005, 16:53
Hello,
I'll be attempting a NOBO thru-hike beginning on March 15th 2006 with my best friend. I want to make sure my gear list is as perfect possible before I leave so I am looking for some advice and criticism. Here it is...

Misc:
LL Bean/Komperdell Vario Hikelight trekking poles 17.6 (oz.)
Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone Pack with ‘The Lid’: 50.0
Sea to summit silnylon pack rain cover 4.6
Trash compactor bag pack liner 2.3
Leatherman Micra 1.7
2 bandanas 1.7
50’ Bear bagging para cord 3.7
Petzl Zipka Plus headlamp + batteries 2.3
Keychain LED backup 0.3
No-see-um head net 0.8
Mylar emergency blanket 1.6
Thru-hikers handbook 7.0
ATC maps (not all at once) 70.0
Journal & Pen 2.1
ID, debit card, CA$H, travel wallet, calling card (just # & pin #) 1.0
Watch 1.4
Camera, case, 6 AA nimh batteries, nimh travel charger, card reader 16.0

Sleep/Shelter:
Western Mountaineering Vision Long 15 deg. bag w/ stuff sack 35.0
Cocoon silk mummy liner w/ stuff sack 4.6
Thermarest Women’s Prolite 4 pad w/ stuff sack 24.9
LL Bean Microlight 2 Tent
-12 Stakes w/ stuff sack 7.1
-Aluminum poles w/ stuff sack 10.7
-Fly 22.6
-Tent 25.4
-Tent Stuff Sack 2.0
-Fly Stuff sack 2.0
-Tyvek footprint ????

Cooking/Food:
Silnylon food stuff sack 1.0
1 Gatorade Endurance 34 oz. bottle 2.2
1 Nalgene 32 oz. bottle (hot liquids & measuring) 6.2
Snowpeak titanium spork 0.5
P38 can opener (not sure if I’ll need this) ?????
Aquamira water treatment 3.0
Mountain Suds 2 oz. biodegradable soap 2.7
Pepsi/Guiness alcohol stove 0.4
12 oz. plastic Pepsi fuel bottle (switch for Nalgene 12oz. flask?) 0.9
Cricket electric lighter 0.5
1.3L aluminum pot & lid 5.8
pot gripper 1.5
windscreen 2.0
pot cozy 1.9
Nalgene 96 oz. collapsible canteen 2.4
Mesh stuff sack 0.5

Health/Hygiene:
Stuff sack 1.2
Nail clipper 0.7
ear plugs 0.3
1 roll TP (middle removed and roll flattened) 5.6
Bodyglide 1.3 oz. 3.3
Toothbrush 0.5
Travel size toothpaste 1.0
Travel size Gold Bond Powder 1.6
Travel size bug dope 1.0
Travel size hand sanitizer 1.0
Multivitamin ?????

Clothing/Apparel:
Stuff sack (clean cloths) 1.0
2 gallon ziplock (dirty cloths) 1.0
LL Bean tan zip off pants 14.6
Decathalon Quecha navy rain jacket (laundry top) 8.2
Pacific Crest L green water resistant rain pants (laundry bottom) 5.9
Comfort Skins long underwear top 5.7
Asics silver short sleeve XL shirt 5.3
Starter Dri-star long sleeve L blue shirt 7.2
Silk long underwear pants (switch for synthetic?) 4.1
RIDE mittens with liner 7.8
Nike Clima-fit orange ball cap 1.9
Old Navy fleece hat 1.4
Crocs camp shoes 13.8
(3 pair) SmartWool Adrenaline ¾ cut socks 6.0
FOOTWEAR ??? (trail runners- not sure which) ??????
Superfeet green insoles F ??????
OR low gaiters (not sure if I want em or not) ??????

What else do I need? What should I skip? Any advice is more than welcome. FYI, I am going to try to avoid doing mail drops and just get everything I need as I go.

Thanks!

looks good,be even better if ya ditch the tent and get a hammock:cool: neo

CaptChaos
12-22-2005, 14:55
something to cut wood, I have a very small fold out saw and when I find dead tree limbs on the ground I use this to cut them up. Do not want to run the risk of twisting ankle trying to break limbs for the fire.

Never had bug problems in the smokies, I usually smell so bad they leave me alone.

duct tape, remember, duct tape is our friend.

ear plugs

small pack of matches and a bic ligher wrapped up in a baggy just in case.

I did not look to see if you are male or female but I would suggest a very small bottle of powder. As I have admitted before, I was in the smokies and I had BVD's on and when I got to camp the sweat was so bad that my inner thighs were so chapped that I could no longer touch them. Powder took care of this, today, No underware under the shorts and no problems since then.

Just a note, I find that a bladder is good for sipping water. It is better to sip even if you are not wanting water then to drink because you have to. I get better performance from my body by sipping and it keeps my mouth from drying out as I lug my sorry 230 lbs up the mtn and this is without my pack but that is another story.

jgop_151
12-24-2005, 22:24
I'll experiment with the amount of stakes. My leatherman micra has a small knife. The LL Bean Microlight series is NOT freestanding. If I do go with the Nalgene flask, I wouldn't bring the outer sheath. I like the idea of the one ounce cap so I won't have to worry about spilling fuel 3 times; just once. Will add duct tape, floss, and a needle.

Thanks everyone!:clap

Smooth
12-24-2005, 23:40
You camp different than I do. Scratch the powder, take Neosporum. I made marks on my waterbottle for measurments. I found that a thuhike is different than backpacking. Take the willingness to replace what does not work for you with something that does, else you drop out for things not going the way you dreamed that they would. Take the willingness to change. Bring love.

Fiddler
12-25-2005, 00:14
Get a nice lexan spoon for your kitchen stuff. Then when you get fed up with that spork and throw it away you'll still have something to eat with.

LostInSpace
12-25-2005, 10:43
I don't worry as of yet, as I still use my Trangia, but that's a good tip. A nice feature of a new pot that I got is that it has measures stamped on the metal. You'd think this would be easy and smart to do.

You can mark any pot with a hammer and screwdriver by putting a small dent at the desired level.

Burn
12-25-2005, 11:22
med kit = duct tape to me i can get anything else if i need it later...i can cut a pc of my sleeping bag up if i get that injured...i do carry ibruprofin for swelling

drop leatherman
add a .5 oz knife

drop bug spray, no bugs till say may even later cause yer in higher elevations

drop extra gear as you see fit for multiuse items

i'd drop, and did, the bandanas

lost's idea of a small measuring dent is fine...i'd suggest cooking enough so that you know what a cup o water or an oz of fuel looks like at a glance being familar thru experience is better than the chore of meassuring any day

i'd keep the pack cover, not for rain, but for the mud....when you drop pack you be glad it is protected and you can warsh a pack cover in any stream, but yer pack will carry the mud for a long time.

i never carried gold bond...in the winter, when yer starting, yer long johns should protect yer inseam from rashes, and yer feet, if allowed to break in (prehike) should be used to the wear and tear...shake down yer gear while ya can....drop everything...then drop some more.

no need for extra key light...
drop emergency blanket and bug netting...maybe get the bug net later...way later...up north

drop hand sanitizer...even cold water is good enough...lately i've seen a lot on anti bactia as well as soap and water...true is, volumn of water works equally as well

maybe i missed it, but add some form of water purification/ i prefer filtration over others

not popular, but drop maps..just follow the 8 inch deep trench, trail maintaince signs such as waterbars and steps, and those little white thingies on the trees. This is not a joke, nor am i trying to insult anyone, it is truely that easy to follow. wingfoot tells you which way to go to services, and houses can be seen in emergencies to get to...PS, yer going with a crowd, everyone helps out and you will get sick of overload of info at shelters...just hike and enjoy the sense of discovery of what is next

i am a fan of superfeet...once broke in...there is a curve there...walk alot before you go.

just saw the aqua mira...tis ok...i didn't wanna wait to drink when i was thirsty...and you still gotta filter out those frog pond scums...and yes even in GA there are some mud puddles you'll wanna drink out of.

just have fun, drop what ya can from shakedown hikes, don't forget to add a small touch of duct tape

Smooth
12-25-2005, 22:26
A...A...A, well I liked the maps. But the Mans right, follow the little white thingies on the trees and you won't have a problem. I also tend to agree with Burn on the gear. Take the willingness to change. Bring love.

sparky2000
12-25-2005, 22:55
As far as the irritated legs - One taught me to keep the zipper open when hiking and no opposites are around - it'll save all the irritation.

Mongoose2
12-25-2005, 23:13
Gaitors, I like em....some don't. They keep out some of the water streaming down your legs in the rain, and all of the debris. I use the low gaitors from REI.

Mongoose

Panzer1
12-26-2005, 02:42
I would not drop the maps. I think they are essential anytime someone goes out onto the trail. When you go on the the trail, they are worth more than their weight in gold.

Panzer

cutman11
12-26-2005, 03:04
First Aid Kit = Duct tape, Tylenol, and Ibuprofen or aleve. Nothing else much matters. IF you want comfort stuff, add Cortisone creme, triple antibiotic cream, chapstick, vaseline or bag balm.

Take longjohns, but choose either zipoffs or rain pants, but not both. I would suggest more likely the rainpants(lighter, and warmer). Send all three home after mount rogers, and change to lighter sleeping bag at that point.

I have the 30 deg WM bag, and with a silk liner, they offer good flexibility from 20 degrees (10 if in the tent) to 70 degrees.

Burn
12-26-2005, 06:56
oh after winter is gone...late april....get some running or like me swimming trunks to hike in. they dry fast after sweat or rain and have little to no friction factor from clothing

Panzer1
12-26-2005, 13:40
Medical kit:
2 neosporin ointment packet (1/32 oz)
4 fabric anitbotic BamdAids
small bottle of ibprofen (24 count)
small jar Vasoline (1 3/4 oz)
Q-tips for applying vasoline to butt
several feet of duck tape for blisters
Band-aid blister block cushions (for feet)
small roll of paper surgical tape (for toes 1/2 inch)

Panzer

Panzer1
12-26-2005, 14:03
"Camera, case, 6 AA nimh batteries, nimh travel charger, card reader 16.0"

Can you put the 6 batteries, charger and card reader in a bounce box?

Panzer

jgop_151
01-25-2006, 01:05
Is a 100 weight fleece enough, or should I go with a 200? Starting northbound March 21st.

Mr. Fusion
01-25-2006, 01:25
Drop the soap, go for hand sanitizer.

Also, 5.6 oz of TP may be overkill. Carry a day's worth on you; hide the rest of the roll in someone else's pack.:)

River Runner
01-26-2006, 01:07
A medicine cup (such as those that come with liquid cold/cough medicine) is a light way to measure fuel.

Jester2000
02-09-2006, 13:26
not popular, but drop maps..just follow the 8 inch deep trench, trail maintaince signs such as waterbars and steps, and those little white thingies on the trees. This is not a joke, nor am i trying to insult anyone, it is truely that easy to follow. wingfoot tells you which way to go to services, and houses can be seen in emergencies to get to...PS, yer going with a crowd, everyone helps out and you will get sick of overload of info at shelters...just hike and enjoy the sense of discovery of what is next

If by "not popular" Burn means "you will not be popular if you are constantly asking other people if you can see their maps," then this statement is correct. Everyone helps out people who are in a jam. No one likes helping out the same person day after day, unless they are being paid as your Sherpa.

By all means drop the maps if you want to save weight, but do it with the expectation of never seeing a map the whole time. I liked having them not because I was afraid I would get lost, but in order to plan out my days and get a sense of what was ahead. I know plenty of people who don't care and never ask to see maps being carried by others. But I also know people who go lite by using gear being carried by others. No one likes those people. I say carry everything you think you need when you start. You can always mail stuff home.