PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 2 person tent...REI? Tarptent?

MEHikerFamily
02-29-2016, 07:37
I am requesting some of the wisdom of the board. I am looking to purchase a 2 person three-season tent for an adult and a nine year old. We are familiar with REI's Quarter Dome 3 and are happy with it so far. So naturally we are considering the Quarter Dome 2. I am fairly new to the backpacking world and do not know much more about tents other than my QD3.

But upon reading past posts it seems the Tarptents are often recommended. I was checking out their website but it's a bit harder to get a "feel" for the tent when not seeing it in person.

I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with these tents could give a short list of the pro's and con's of the QD2 versus a tarptent (The Double Rainbow seems to be in my price range)?

I suppose I would be looking for the usual qualities in a tent: lightweight, low volume, ease of setup, durability, good in rain... and am looking to spend $300 or less (although I'd shell out a few extra bucks if it was *really* worth it).

I became more interested in the Tarptents as they look extremely easy to set up and would not cause much issue if I had to set up in rain.

As a note I usually do not hike with trekking poles.

Thank you.

hubcap
02-29-2016, 07:51
TarpTent's are very popular, and for good reason. You'll not go wrong with that option.
REI's QD series are and excellent choice as well.
Both tents are easy to set up, durable, great in tough weather (with seam sealing).
Pro:
The DoubleRainbow is a lighter option by about 1/2lb.
QD2 is a double walled tent

Gambit McCrae
02-29-2016, 08:29
Choose Tarptent. Its is a durable, singular owner that cares about his customers and takes care of them.

soumodeler
02-29-2016, 08:58
100% TarpTent. While I do think REI makes great gear for most uses, a TarpTent is the way to go if you are going to be serious about backpacking. I have a REI Passage 2 and I am pretty sure it hasn't been taken out of the bag since I got my TT Notch...

bigcranky
02-29-2016, 09:57
I like Tarptents and have owned quite a few over the years. The Double Rainbow is a well-made tent, but the main walls slope in at a fairly steep angle, reducing interior room more than we liked. We traded it for a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

Some links:

http://hikeitlikeit.com/2011/tale-of-three-duos/ (note the photo feature where you can click the thumbnails and see comparison views of each tent)

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/7052/

DuneElliot
02-29-2016, 10:13
I would also +1 on taking a look at the Six Moons Lunar Duo. I have the solo and really love the quality.

soumodeler
02-29-2016, 10:44
I like Tarptents and have owned quite a few over the years. The Double Rainbow is a well-made tent, but the main walls slope in at a fairly steep angle, reducing interior room more than we liked. We traded it for a Six Moons Designs Lunar Duo.

Didn't TT recently redesign some of their tents to fix this issue? Franco from TT might chime in and clarify.

colorado_rob
02-29-2016, 11:03
Soooooo many excellent choices. We live in a Golden Age of gear, IMHO.

Have you looked at Big Agnes? I keep wanting to check one of the Scout models out. Here's one on sale, the Scout Plus:

http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-scout-plus-ul-2-person-3-season-tent-bag000z?rr=t

And here's a review:

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Ultralight-Tent-Reviews/Big-Agnes-Scout-Plus-UL2

I've been a long-time BA fan, having used them for a lot of years, recently switched to the zpacks cuben Hexamid, but pricey. Never tried a Tarptent tent, sure get some good reviews here on WB. Choice, choices.

Venchka
02-29-2016, 11:43
StratoSpire 2. Palatial for 2. Dry shelter for a small herd. The most volume under cover per pound out there.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

HooKooDooKu
02-29-2016, 12:05
Have you looked at Big Agnes? I keep wanting to check one of the Scout models out.
The BA Scout tents require trekking poles which the OP says he doesn't usually hike with.

Hosh
02-29-2016, 12:55
TT will sell separate poles for the Stratospire II, as it also requires trekking poles. You lose some of the weight advantages assuming you consider the trekking poles as redundant/multi use. I've owned a Rainbow, SS II, and BA Scout UL 2. Any of the single wall or minimal double wall tents will end up with some condensation issues. If you toss and turn the TT slick floors will slide you to the low spot. I also found the SS II awkward to set up on standard tent pads/site, especially in some of the older areas, RMNP for instance. It's unique geometry makes for great space utilization and takes a little practice to get everything aligned. Since it's not free standing, final adjustments take a little longer.

I too am a big BA fan, CS UL4 & UL3, not the lightest but well designed and good quality. We sat out a wind driven hail storm, size of marbles, at 10000' for a couple of hours. The ten was on a marked site in RMNP that flooded 3 inches deep. No tears, bent poles nor interior leaking, it took a pretty good beating.

REI QD are an excellent value, can catch on sale and/or 20% member's cooupin coming up. The TT Double Moment is worth a look. Another consideration is longer term. As your son grows a 3 person might be a better option especially if you or he move around a lot when you sleep and/or need to sit out bad weather.

Franco
02-29-2016, 17:14
MEHiker,
Slightly unfair comparison because the REI is a full double wall tent whilst the DR is an hybrid (fly with mesh doors and floor atached to it) so weight and packed size is in favour of the TT but that is why it is our best selling shelter.
For most people it looks and performs like a two wall tent but sets up dry inside (as you noted) packs to 18"x4" (versus 20"x7" fro the QD2) and is 43oz all up vs the 57 of the QD2.
The walls do slope inward so not ideal top have two facing the same way sitting up but unless both are over 6' the two can sit up and face each other.
The floor is rectangular so it is easy to sleep foot and tail whilst the QD2 works better if both sleep with the head at the same end.
The SS2 is a great design but more weight efficient if using trekking poles and can be tricky for some to set up.
The Double Moment has more shoulder and head room (2x 6'5" people will fit with spare space) but heavier and more expensive.

Flounder940
02-29-2016, 17:21
Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo Outfitter. $169, 3.5 pounds.

MEHikerFamily
02-29-2016, 17:33
Thank you everyone, I will need a lot of time to go over these responses and research the tents. I much appreciate all the replies and help.

nsherry61
02-29-2016, 17:47
I think most of the tent suggestions above would probably be lovely tents for your use. I think you should buy whichever one is the best color.

HooKooDooKu
02-29-2016, 18:10
As you look at online specifications for tents... check, cross check, and recheck. I keep finding specifications that are anywhere from misleading to flat out wrong.

Because many tents now sport a trapezoid foot print, some retailers just always us the words "Max Width" when specifying dimensions regardless if the tent has a trapezoid or rectangle foot print. You've GOT to find some image or specification somewhere that lets you know the shape of the footprint to know what you're getting.

All tent manufacturers seem to specif the width and length of their tents based on where the tent pole hit the ground... NOT the usable space inside the tent. Case in point, years ago I looked at a Mountain Hardware Drifter 3 that listed an inside width of 66 inches. That means I should have been able to use my large 25" wide pad and my two kid's 20" pads inside the tent and had an inch to spare. But the reality was that even trying to take advantage of pad mummy shapes, it was IMPOSSIBLE to get those three pads inside the tent.

Some places simply seem to get the details flat out wrong. Current case in point: Mountain Hardwear Shifter 2. If you look at Mtn Hardware web site, they don't specify a length of the tent, only floor space. Yet I found website after website that quoted the size of this tent at 83" x 54" with a floor space of 33 sqft. But 83" x 54" makes for only 31 sqft. (A little backwards math and comparisons to other tents would seem to suggest that the actual dimensions are 88" x 54", but somewhere someone misread a spec of 88 as 83... and the mistake has just been perpetuated everywhere).

Having said all that, I took a few minutes to check out what I could find at REI, Campsaver, and Backcountry. I pretended that I had about $300 to spend, and I needed to get a new tent for me and my son to use.
Hands down, the best thing I could come up with was the Big Agnes Ripple Creek UL2+

While I don't like the fact the tent has only one door (i.e. one vestibule), it has a weird footprint where the 2nd vestibule should be is instead inside tent space. A great spot to stow your gear (like cloths) inside the tent while still leaving a relatively large size rectangular footprint for the sleeping pads.
The tent spec says a packed weight of 3lb 10oz.
REI has the tent on sale for $300 (regularly $400)
Campsaver has the footprint on sale for $40 (regularly $80).

Franco
02-29-2016, 18:22
yes, numbers can be misleading particularly if one does not know what and where the measurements are taken , given that there are no fixed standards for that.
Visiting the product page on the TT site you will note that there are many photos for each tent (for example the one with the two 25" mats inside the Dr...) a detailed dimensions drawing as well as a 3D video clip showing from every angle you choose how the occupant/s fit inside the tent based on a 6' person on top of a std mat. (20x72x1.5)

Time Zone
03-01-2016, 23:22
I am requesting some of the wisdom of the board. I am looking to purchase a 2 person three-season tent for an adult and a nine year old. We are familiar with REI's Quarter Dome 3 and are happy with it so far. So naturally we are considering the Quarter Dome 2. I am fairly new to the backpacking world and do not know much more about tents other than my QD3.

But upon reading past posts it seems the Tarptents are often recommended. I was checking out their website but it's a bit harder to get a "feel" for the tent when not seeing it in person.

I am wondering if anyone who is familiar with these tents could give a short list of the pro's and con's of the QD2 versus a tarptent (The Double Rainbow seems to be in my price range)?

I suppose I would be looking for the usual qualities in a tent: lightweight, low volume, ease of setup, durability, good in rain... and am looking to spend $300 or less (although I'd shell out a few extra bucks if it was *really* worth it).

I became more interested in the Tarptents as they look extremely easy to set up and would not cause much issue if I had to set up in rain.

As a note I usually do not hike with trekking poles.

Thank you.

You're in Maine ... have you considered LL Bean's Microlight 2 tent? They have just redesigned their Microlight series to be even lighter, and jacked the price, but you can still find the 2015 model (sometimes on a big sale).
lightweight: 2016 model has min weight of 2 lbs 11 oz; 2015, 3 lbs 14 oz.
Low volume: both roll to 16.5" x 7", or 10.4L.
ease of setup: both are freestanding, standard mesh inner + rain fly. In theory you can set up fly first to get out of rain, and then set up inner, but I've never walked through that. It has just 1 articulated pole plus a cross member to pull out sides and give a bit more volume.
durability: simply put, the 2016 model shaves weight by using lighter materials (e.g., 15 denier fly vs. 30). So your choice - durability vs. weight. Bean has lifetime satisfaction guarantee, so that could give you peace of mind for choosing the lighter materials.
good in rain - well, fly is silicone coated on outside, PU on inside.
Price: 2015 model is currently $229 and bean has run a couple 20% off clearance sales already since Dec 25. The new lighter model is $349.

I have the 2015 model. I got it on sale, then 20% more off, then used a gift card ... got quite a deal.

As for a two person tent: it could be good for an adult + kid, or two adults who are both slim and not over 6' tall. Here's why: I think you can get 2 20x72 sleeping pads in there but no more. So only one 25x77, and not a 25x77 plus a 20x72. It's tapered too - narrower at foot than at head. And as someone noted, virtually all manufacturers and retailers quote dimensions based on pole-to-pole, not interior measurements. It has a big effect. I'm 73" tall, and my head and feet both touch on a tent with quoted length of 84"! With 90" (the Microlight), I have a 2-3 inches of clearance. The Microlight also does a pretty good job of getting the walls more vertical than a typical X-pole dome design, and that helps a lot with room by your head and feet.

If you're an ultralighter you can do better, but you'll pay more. The new model is more competitive weight-wise, but again, at a higher price and with lighter material. At the moment you have a choice there.

Whatever you buy, use at least polycryo for a footprint to protect the floor. It is surprisingly tough and super light. These ultralight tent fabrics feel incredibly flimsy to me, so I'm protecting mine.

Venchka
03-02-2016, 08:54
I think most of the tent suggestions above would probably be lovely tents for your use. I think you should buy whichever one is the best color.

TarpTent Drab is the only thing I wish I could change about the TarpTent line. Otherwise, there are too many good choices in the TarpTent inventory. Too many. I can't decide. Decision paralysis has set in.

Wayne

garlic08
03-02-2016, 09:28
Good stuff above, but one thing not considered yet is type of use. I'm a huge fan of Tarptent, but my style is to hike all day and then sleep. If I were going to hike a few miles, set up base camp, and stay there in possibly adverse weather with a nine year-old, I'd want a palace and would carry ten more pounds.

MEHikerFamily
03-04-2016, 07:34
Too many. I can't decide. Decision paralysis has set in.

That is exactly​ my issue.

Good stuff above, but one thing not considered yet is type of use. I'm a huge fan of Tarptent, but my style is to hike all day and then sleep. If I were going to hike a few miles, set up base camp, and stay there in possibly adverse weather with a nine year-old, I'd want a palace and would carry ten more pounds.

We tend to hike 10 -14 miles, depending on how difficult the hike was. But having something with some room is a desire.

So with that being said, I believe I am leaning towards a largish double walled tent. I am not overly concerned on whether it weighs 2.5 pounds or 4.5 pounds, but rather, having a small packed size would be nice (especially since I end up carrying some of their stuff). Having a tent that would comfortably fit an adult and a growing child would be nice too.

My first thought last week was the Quarter Dome 2. According to the website this weighs 3 pounds, has an area of about 29 square feet (peak height of 40 inches) and has a packed volume of about 825 cubic inches (assuming I am doing my math correctly).

So I suppose I am kind of using that as my base of comparison. As a note we currently have a QD3 and this gives us an area of 39 square feet which averages to 13 square feet per person when I am with both my boys.

So now I am looking at all the options Tarptent offers. I've watched videos and read the specs. It is my understanding that for the tents that require a trekking pole I could simply purchase a pole directly from TT. It seems that I could choose from the Double Moment, Scarp 2 and the StratoSpire 2.

This is the part where I am going to try to interpret the numbers and pictures and I may need some help.

The Double Moment can be set up without trekking poles. It's floor area is 26.8 sq ft which seems to be a bit on the smaller side (of the tents I'm considering). It has two entry ways on each side and it packs down to 353 cubic inches, which is considerably smaller than the Quarter Dome 2.

The Scarp 2 is another double walled tent that will fit two or more and does not require trekking poles. It's a bit heavier than the DM but also roomier with 31 square feet. It packs down more so than the DM (but really both pack down much more than the QD2). This tent also has dual entry on the sides.

Finally the StratoSpire 2 is the last double wall tent. This is a dual entry tent on each side. It looks like I would have to purchase an 8 oz alternate pole set in order to set this tent up. But it is even lighter than the Scarp 2 (which may not be the case if I need to purchase poles in order to set it up), has the same floor area as the Scarp 2 (higher peak height though) which can widen at the expense of the bathtub floor and packs down more than the Scarp 2.

The QD2 that I am also contemplating weighs roughly similar to the three TTs that I just wrote about, maybe even a bit less. It's area is 29 square feet which is a bit less than the Scarp2 and the SS2. It's peak height is less (which is an indicator of roomyness?) but rather importantly it packs down to 825 cubic inches, which is roughly four times the amount of the Scarp 2 and the SS2.

Do I have it about right?

Again, thank you so much for the collective wisdom of the board.

MEHikerFamily
03-04-2016, 07:52
So in trying to figure out why one would want to purchase each of those three tents I would say the DM is a lighter smaller option compared to the Scarp 2. The SS2 seems just as big or bigger than the previously mentioned two tents and is lighter. So would the SS2 be the no-brainer choice?

Venchka
03-04-2016, 10:14
So in trying to figure out why one would want to purchase each of those three tents I would say the DM is a lighter smaller option compared to the Scarp 2. The SS2 seems just as big or bigger than the previously mentioned two tents and is lighter. So would the SS2 be the no-brainer choice?

Probably. Don't overlook vertical walls and a rectangular floor. I'm coming from two tents that slope and taper in all directions from a central high point and have a single front entry. My priorities for a new tent:
1. Two side entry doors + vestibules
2. A rectangular floor
3. Solid walls
4. Vertical walls on at least 2 sides
5. Double wall
6. Consider weight after 1-4 are satisfied

I don't even look at square footage. You can have all the square footage in the world at ground level, but if the walls slope inward you can loose a great % of the area before you get to useful space. Usable area is what counts.
When I saw the first photos of the Double Moment I thought it was my dream tent. When the floor plan was finally released, I was disappointed.
Both models of the StratoSpire have always ticked off most of my wish list items. Huge sheltered volume. 2 large doors/2 large vestibules. Rectangular, adjustable floor & vertical walls. Tolerable weight. What's not to like?
For some reason I had always overlooked the Scarp models. Lately I have paid more attention to them. The Scarp 2 had a decent floor plan. More importantly, the 4 corner struts on both models provided at least 15" of vertical perimeter wall space. No inner tent roof or walls in your face. Likewise, there is ample perimeter low level venting to induce a chimney effect to transport wet air out of the top vents. Then Henry modified the Scarp 1 to add some extra useful floor space. Full on winter capability is nice as well. Heaviest, but extreme weather capable. Sturdy always comes with a slight increase in weight.
Packed size for all of these TarpTents is virtually the same. 16" or 18" long x 4" or 5" diameter. Not enough difference to worry about.
The Double Rainbow and Cloudburst 3 are on the fringe if I decide that a single wall tent will suit my needs.
Now I am really confused.

Bottom line: The StratosSpire 2 & Scarp 2 are toss ups on my short list. However, for my needs, the single person versions of each would be a better choice.

Wayne

Lnj
03-04-2016, 13:39
That is exactly​ my issue.

We tend to hike 10 -14 miles, depending on how difficult the hike was. But having something with some room is a desire.

So with that being said, I believe I am leaning towards a largish double walled tent. I am not overly concerned on whether it weighs 2.5 pounds or 4.5 pounds, but rather, having a small packed size would be nice (especially since I end up carrying some of their stuff). Having a tent that would comfortably fit an adult and a growing child would be nice too.

My first thought last week was the Quarter Dome 2. According to the website this weighs 3 pounds, has an area of about 29 square feet (peak height of 40 inches) and has a packed volume of about 825 cubic inches (assuming I am doing my math correctly).

So I suppose I am kind of using that as my base of comparison. As a note we currently have a QD3 and this gives us an area of 39 square feet which averages to 13 square feet per person when I am with both my boys.

So now I am looking at all the options Tarptent offers. I've watched videos and read the specs. It is my understanding that for the tents that require a trekking pole I could simply purchase a pole directly from TT. It seems that I could choose from the Double Moment, Scarp 2 and the StratoSpire 2.

This is the part where I am going to try to interpret the numbers and pictures and I may need some help.

The Double Moment can be set up without trekking poles. It's floor area is 26.8 sq ft which seems to be a bit on the smaller side (of the tents I'm considering). It has two entry ways on each side and it packs down to 353 cubic inches, which is considerably smaller than the Quarter Dome 2.

The Scarp 2 is another double walled tent that will fit two or more and does not require trekking poles. It's a bit heavier than the DM but also roomier with 31 square feet. It packs down more so than the DM (but really both pack down much more than the QD2). This tent also has dual entry on the sides.

Finally the StratoSpire 2 is the last double wall tent. This is a dual entry tent on each side. It looks like I would have to purchase an 8 oz alternate pole set in order to set this tent up. But it is even lighter than the Scarp 2 (which may not be the case if I need to purchase poles in order to set it up), has the same floor area as the Scarp 2 (higher peak height though) which can widen at the expense of the bathtub floor and packs down more than the Scarp 2.

The QD2 that I am also contemplating weighs roughly similar to the three TTs that I just wrote about, maybe even a bit less. It's area is 29 square feet which is a bit less than the Scarp2 and the SS2. It's peak height is less (which is an indicator of roomyness?) but rather importantly it packs down to 825 cubic inches, which is roughly four times the amount of the Scarp 2 and the SS2.

Do I have it about right?

Again, thank you so much for the collective wisdom of the board.

I have a TT Double Moment DW. It is wonderful! Both me and my husband are very large people and we slept like rocks inside with room for our packs at each end as well. Plenty of room to sit up inside and not hit your head and the double wall keeps 90+% of the condensation away from the walls anyway, so touching them is not a problem either. 2 big vestibules for boots and poles or whatever. Can be set up in the rain without getting the inside wet at all. Very easy and very fast. Just great tent all around and it can take some serious wind and rain as well, without a drop of leakage. Also, Henry at TT is wonderful to work with.