PDA

View Full Version : At what point is a bug net necessary?

GreenBlaze
02-29-2016, 08:15
Beginning in late March at Springer. Trying to minimize weight. Thanks!

hubcap
02-29-2016, 08:21
We are getting some warmer temps already this year. I'd say mid-April, if things continue as have.

trpost
02-29-2016, 10:13
Things may have changed, but I never needed one in 1990. DEET works wonders.

garlic08
02-29-2016, 13:21
It also depends on your hiking speed (where you are during certain seasons), your tolerance to the buggers, and how much you like to use chemicals.

Abatis1948
02-29-2016, 15:28
I have hiked between Franklin, NC and Springer Mountain, Georgia, between May and October for years. I have never used a bug net in that area. I do have one, but it is just extra weight. I do understand the further north you get and the warmer it is, you will need some type of protection.

rocketsocks
02-29-2016, 15:47
Beginning in late March at Springer. Trying to minimize weight. Thanks!im just curious if your talking about a head net, or a full bug tent? Not that either weighs all that much.

Traillium
02-29-2016, 21:17
Here in Southern Ontario I always carry a head net for bugs. It resides in the small compartment in the top of my wide-brimmed-hat–for-a-bald-guy. Weighs next to nothing, and I completely forget it's there — until the little bugger are buzzing me.
(Being attractive to bugs is one thing I wish I wasn't good at …)
I'm hoping to not need to wear the bug net until the middle or end of May, but this is forecast to be an early Spring up here. Damn …

Bruce Traillium

Traillium
02-29-2016, 21:22
BTW, bug head net weighs about 35g — an ounce and a quarter …
Pfft!

Bruce Traillium

MuddyWaters
02-29-2016, 21:28
people lived without any kind of bug netting for thousands of years, so its never necessary.

it might save your sanity however in swampy mosquito ridden areas like NJ.

Wise Old Owl
02-29-2016, 21:29
Well interesting question clearly based on experience.
You cant sleep in a head net, they still get you.
At what point is a bug net necessary?The point where you cant sleep the most.

swisscross
02-29-2016, 22:38
Some people are more tolerant to bugs than ME!

JumpMaster Blaster
02-29-2016, 23:17
people lived without any kind of bug netting for thousands of years, so its never necessary.

it might save your sanity however in swampy mosquito ridden areas like NJ.

And people lived without synthetic fabrics, cuben fiber, running water, electricity, internet, etc...but we're ALL a lot more comfortable with those things now.

GreenBlaze
03-01-2016, 04:35
Even at just a few ounces.. if I never use it, I don't want to carry it. Thanks for the replies. I'm taking the 'better safe than sorry' route and taking the head net.

daddytwosticks
03-01-2016, 08:17
I know in early April down at the very southern end of the AT here, the nats can drive you crazy. They dive bomb your eyes, nose, and ears constantly when you stop and the breeze isn't blowing. They go away when it cools off in the evening. Carry a lightweight head net at least. Later in the season, they go away. Never had any issue with skeeters down here any time of year. :)

Odd Man Out
03-01-2016, 08:43
Different people definitely have different tolerances. In college I took an ecology class with field trips. Our professor was giving an outside lecture in a forest where the bugs were terrible. All of students were swatting and running around, doing anything to fight off the onslaught. Meanwhile the prof just went on like nothing was happening. Eventually he notice that no one was listening to him so he asked "what's wrong". We all shouted abot the bugs. He said "There are bugs? I hadn't noticed".

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 15:29
I have it a few spots a few times that OMG they were bad, but honestly I haven't had a real issue as night.

Pajj
03-01-2016, 17:10
The first time I remember really needing it was tinker cliffs halfway through VA, from that point on it was a necessity. I didn't always use it but when I did need it I was so glad to have it. What are they 3 ounces?

gbolt
03-01-2016, 18:13
My Peter Vacco Head net is .65oz and cost $20. It keeps the bugs and bugs spray out of my eyes, ears, nose, and mouth. Also, keeps them off my neck. Cheapest sanity on the market!

Slo-go'en
03-01-2016, 18:22
I did a trip into the Canadian Rockies one summer and we had to don full gortex rain suits in the evening to cook and eat dinner as the skeeters were so thick! Gortex was the only thing they couldn't bite threw. Then it was dive into the tent and spend 10 minutes killing the ones which followed you in.

If you get caught in Black Fly season in VT, NH or ME, if you don't have a tent or bug net, you'll go insane.

However, for some reason shelters for the most part tend to be flying insect free. However, when sleeping on the ground, I always want to be enclosed in a tent or bug net to keep all the creepy crawling things off me.

In fact, when thinking about this this weekend, I decided to order a Serenity net for my Gatewood cape and use that combo instead of a tent for my upcoming 1/2 flip flop hike. I figure heading north from HF in mid April will put me smack in the middle of peak bug season for the North East and would like to have a net to use in shelters.