PDA

View Full Version : Location for me to be a trail angel?

overheadview
02-29-2016, 11:07
Hello

I'm a pct 2015 thru-hiker and I want to give back a bunch this season!

I'm living near Charlotte, NC so I am looking for a good spot (anywhere in nc/tenn) that has the following:

A NEED for rides to town, a spot where hitch might be tough, big gap between towns, etc.
A parking spot for my car
A nearby campsite for me (maybe with water, cell service, a view, other amenities)

I basically want to set up shop for a few days, hang out, help hikers get to town. Maybe grill some burgers. Hang out with the awesome people I miss!

I plan on doing it a bunch of times so keep suggesting places even after the "best" answer is in.

Puddlefish
02-29-2016, 11:20
Welcome to White Blaze. The answer you're looking for might not be the answer you want. Here's a recent thread with lots of pertinent information and links.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/116935-Trail-Magic-need-previous-thru-hikers-opinions-on-where-and-when

overheadview
02-29-2016, 11:34
The answer is to go read a thread filled with posts about the word retard, and editorials on how others should live their life, instead of a real answer (or simply no response) ?

I'm having second thoughts about this community already! Haha

I don't want to rake and shovel. I want to spend my days camping and driving hikers. Whether or not that is the "best" use of my services.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Puddlefish
02-29-2016, 11:55
You just love it to death for your own selfish amusement then. Enjoy your party.

CedarKeyHiker
02-29-2016, 12:04
Kind and caring people are needed everywhere. I would like you and a thousand others like to cross my path daily. The concepts of giving back and paying forward could change the world. I live in Cedar Key, Florida. Cedar Key was the end of John Muir's thousand mile walk from Kentucky to the Gulf of Mexico. During his walk he contracted malaria. He was broke, sick, and tired when he got here. At the point of dying collapsed in a doorway he begged a night watchman for help. The watchman mistaking his condition for drunkenness ignored his plea and stepped over him. A family named Hodgeson heard of his plight took this bedraggled man into their home and nursed him back to health. When he was able they gave him a job in their sawmill. With the money he earned he traveled to Cuba, then to South America, and on to California. Since you hiked the PCT you know the rest of the story. The Hodgeson's were the original Trail Angels and thank goodness they were. Instead of having second thoughts about this group learn how to go to profile of people you find offensive and ignore their posts. Good luck. I hope to see you out there.

overheadview
02-29-2016, 12:05
Great first thread! I love this forum!

I'm glad my intentions are not selfish or I would be offended by this nonsense.

Puddlefish
02-29-2016, 12:13

Intention and actions are separate things. Self proclaiming yourself a trail angel is kind of pushy to me. To some people you will be a trail angel, to other people you'll be an annoyance cluttering the trail. Do what you want, I've stated my opinion, gave you a link to a similar thread, I'm out.

Malto
02-29-2016, 12:17

Welcome to WB. There is no question that you are approaching this with the best on intentions. You just stumbled onto one of the more contentious issues surrounding the AT. If you hiked the PCT and not the AT you may not realize that there are so many "trail Angels" on the AT that they are knocking each other out of the sky. I know I have a completely differently perspective on hiker feeds etc between my PCT thru and the time I spent on the AT. This is the reason that you are getting the reaction you are, it's not directed at you.

overheadview
02-29-2016, 12:36
Trail angel is not my term, I frankly don't like it either. But every past thru-hiker knows exactly what I mean when I use it in the title.

You instructed me to "love it to death for your own selfish amusement" -- which is you presuming my intentions are selfish and for my amusement.

If you notice my first criteria I had all-caps "NEED for rides". That's what I want to provide, because I appreciated the 20+ rides I received from people parking at a trailhead, who were simply happy to be of service to me.

The "maybe cook some burgers" was an afterthought and clearly not my main intention. But you linked me to threads about feeding hikers.

How parking at a trailhead and camping on the AT (millions do each year) is "cluttering the trail" is beyond me. If you wish to not see people the AT is a poor choice to hike.

You weren't helpful, that thread is absurd, in that thread you linked to another thread (131 more posts) that is even more absurd. I don't see a point in you ever saying a word.

Good day.

overheadview
02-29-2016, 12:44
Thank you, I'm getting the sense of how big that hornet's nest is!

I joined this forum to simply get a few suggestions on where to go and offer free shuttles. I still will do that, with or without the permission or information of this forum. Hopefully the people out hiking are kinder than those typing from their couch.

If you're reading this, please PM me suggestions (rather than publicly post them). Wouldn't want to further enrage the high-minded individuals of this topic.

paule
02-29-2016, 12:47
Love these threads,,,,

lonehiker
02-29-2016, 12:50
Pick a spot, I don't have an answer as to the best spot, and do your thing. The vast majority will appreciate it. Don't break any law or violate any regulation etc. Ad nauseam...

Tuckahoe
02-29-2016, 12:51
Why is it so hard to just answer the OP's actual question?

DuneElliot
02-29-2016, 12:59
Whether or not what you do is appreciated by SOME people, I'm sure that whatever you do will be appreciated by many more people. Don't let it get you down. I can't answer your question either, but since you had some negative responses I wanted to balance that out by upping the positive vibes and comments. I think the rides will be the most appreciated aspect of what you are offering. Maybe there is a way to list your phone number somewhere on the AT website as a way for people to contact you (like some of the places for rides on the PCT)

BTW, congrats on your PCT thru-hike.

Traveler
02-29-2016, 13:04
Why is it so hard to just answer the OP's actual question?

Best point so far!

I'm not sure anyone can find the "best place" for the OP as opposed to what they consider it to be. I also would think having thru hiked last season, the OP would have a fair idea of where rides were tough to find, especially at resupply points with shelters not far from the road. If not, given the OPs proximity to the AT where he wants to be, it shouldn't take long using a trail map to find a place that would work for whatever it is they are compelled to do.

Theres going to be a mix of folks on the trail at any given time, some thru's others section, and if the OP is positioned on the way to a feature there could be a lot of day hikers. It may be best to look for areas that are not part of the walk to features and work from there. The only suggestion I would have is try not to park so people crossing the road have to walk around the car or catering services that are intended.

Water Rat
02-29-2016, 13:05
Thank you, I'm getting the sense of how big that hornet's nest is!

I joined this forum to simply get a few suggestions on where to go and offer free shuttles. I still will do that, with or without the permission or information of this forum. Hopefully the people out hiking are kinder than those typing from their couch.

If you're reading this, please PM me suggestions (rather than publicly post them). Wouldn't want to further enrage the high-minded individuals of this topic.

Your best bet is to pick up a copy of AWOL's AT Guide (http://www.shop.theatguide.com/). This publication is widely used by hikers of the AT. That will give you information as to where the herd is heading. You can make the decision as to where you might be most effective for your trips. The guide also lists other services, so that should help with your camping questions as well.

Scrum
02-29-2016, 13:13
overheadview - Welcome to WB. You sure got off to a good start. If you want to fire things up a little bit more just add that:

* you will set up your tent in a shelter,

* while cleaning your guns,

* feeding your dogs,

* giving out cheese for hikers to take with them,

* that you sleep with your food bag,

* but that is okay because you use a bear canister and have bear spray,

* and that you will have a Scout troop staying with you.

You may also want to add your thoughts on the Doyle, trail days, the ATC, FKTs (Scott Jurek specifically), fording the Kennebec, the AMC huts, BSP (Jensen Bissel specifically) and drinking champagne on top of Katahdin. No matter what opinion you express, you will piss off a majority of WBers.

And to really take it over the top, post it in the Women Hiker's Forum and state that you are male.

Did I leave out any hot button issues?

Now could someone please answer the OP's questions? Where can the OP hand out for days that thrus have a need for rides into town but it is difficult to get a hitch?

Water Rat
02-29-2016, 13:41
A perfectly acceptable answer was given in Post #16. The guide gives information on distance to town, locations of services, camping, etc.

hubcap
02-29-2016, 13:52
Come up near Harpers Ferry. That's my stomping grounds, and I'll either help you and come out and enjoy!

The Kisco Kid
02-29-2016, 14:11
If your intention is to "Hang out with the awesome people I miss!" why don't you just take a hike?

overheadview
02-29-2016, 14:27
20 posts, and nobody yet has named a location. If you asked me this question for the pct I would have simply posted a trailhead that fit the description, said thanks for your help and moved on.

I guess I need to buy a guidebook since no previous thru-hikers have any suggestions.

Sincerely appreciate the few enchantments.

overheadview
02-29-2016, 14:28
*encouragements

Malto
02-29-2016, 14:35
20 posts, and nobody yet has named a location. If you asked me this question for the pct I would have simply posted a trailhead that fit the description, said thanks for your help and moved on.

I guess I need to buy a guidebook since no previous thru-hikers have any suggestions.

I suspect you aren't getting many bites because the south is overrun with "help". If you were further north, say in PA then I could provide you a couple of locations. In the south maybe Newfound Gap. I suspect hitching a ride is fairly easy given the traffic but that would be a long hitch especially if the weather is crappy. Another option would be rides in from the Fontana Hilton to town. Again, I'm guessing that location is overrun but that would be another possibility.

When I lived in ATL I shuttled a few people from the airport to Springer. While that is a pain, it was incredibly helpful.

rocketsocks
02-29-2016, 14:52
There's always the NC area soup kitchens.

soilman
03-01-2016, 09:55
I think it is going to be hard to come up with a location that meets your criteria. Currently there are numerous services available for hikers in GA, NC, and TN. The trail goes through or close to several major towns. There are shuttle services available at other towns. There are a number of hostels. As others have posted you may have better luck farther north.

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 11:17
Pick a shelter to clean up. inc, privy.

tagg
03-01-2016, 16:46
It's always the same 10-15 people who respond to every question about "trail magic" with the tone and attitude one would expect if the OP asked for suggestions on how to seduce young children or steal from elderly widows. Who gives a s--- if overheadview or anyone else wants to go give rides or hand out burgers because it makes him happy to hang out with hikers for a few days? I don't understand how it's impacting any of your lives whatsoever. If you come to a road crossing and someone is offering something you don't want, say "no thank you" and keep walking. Of course it would be "more beneficial" to perform trail maintenance instead, however I'm pretty sure we can all spend our free time doing whatever we want to do. You're upset with overheadview because he wants to spend his vacation time hanging out with thru hikers and having fun for a few days?? Don't some of you choose to spend 5-6 months doing the same thing when you go on a thru hike?? (*Emphasis on the word "some," because I'm certain that a healthy portion of the critics on this site spend a lot more time sitting in front of their computer judging others instead of going outside and doing something they claim to enjoy). I'm sure everything y'all do on your days off is done solely to benefit those who are truly in need and not influenced at all by your own selfish enjoyment. Whatever. He didn't say he was trying to change the world, he just said he wanted to spend a few days helping out a group of people with whom he clearly identifies and enjoys being around. This forum can be a great source of information, but it's becoming difficult to find that useful info due to those members who read every post with the intention of acting like a pompous a-hole instead of simply skipping over the threads about things they don't enjoy.

overheadview - I also think the earlier suggestion of looking at a trail guide would give you the best sense of distance between easy trail access points, and that would be a good starting point.

rocketsocks
03-01-2016, 18:20
overheadview - Welcome to WB. You sure got off to a good start. If you want to fire things up a little bit more just add that:

* feeding your dogs,

You may also want to add your thoughts on the Doyle, trail days, the ATC, FKTs (Scott Jurek specifically), fording the Kennebec, the AMC huts, BSP (Jensen Bissel specifically) and drinking champagne on top of Katahdin. No matter what opinion you express, you will piss off a majority of WBers.

And to really take it over the top, post it in the Women Hiker's Forum and state that you are male.

Now could someone please answer the OP's questions? Where can the OP hand out for days that thrus have a need for rides into town but it is difficult to get a hitch?you forgot orange peels and pstasios shells.

Deer Hunter
03-01-2016, 19:32
you forgot orange peels and pstasios shells.

And sunflower seed shells :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-79099.html

Scrum
03-01-2016, 20:29
And sunflower seed shells :)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-79099.html

That is a truly amazing thread. The best comment was this one:

Lone Wolf

12-12-2011, 09:25

i'm gonna conduct an experiment later on. i'm gonna get a 5 lb. bag of bird seed with sunflower seeds and walk a quarter mile section of AT sow the seeds. can't wait til spring to give a report

If LW reads this I hope he chimes in and lets us know how the experiment went. ;)

Smoky Spoon
03-04-2016, 18:52
Roflmao.....yep....same old site, LOVE this response, as for an answer, I will be on that trail soon and would be delighted for any trail magic. Welcome to WB.....some of us really do actually hike...looking forward to seeing you soon!

* feeding your dogs,

Now could someone please answer the OP's questions? Where can the OP hand out for days that thrus have a need for rides into town but it is difficult to get a hitch?

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2016, 19:42
Wow. I was so taken with the tone and content of Tagg's post (#27) that for a minute, I thought I'd written it myself. Simple questions deserve simple answers and not scorn. By the way, I've met dozens of this years Northbounders and I frequently ask them where they went for planning information and where to get questions answered. Good news is how many of them mentioned this site. Bad news is the number who commented on how mean-spirited and nasty it can be here, how unwelcoming it can be to new folks, and how it's sometimes really tough to get plain useful answers to plain questions. Something for some folks to think about maybe?

SWODaddy
03-04-2016, 20:09

* feeding your dogs,

Lol...I think that covers all the bases.

Miel
03-04-2016, 22:52
The answer is to go read a thread filled with posts about the word retard, and editorials on how others should live their life, instead of a real answer (or simply no response) ?

Please don't use the word "retard." Very disparaging to all, but especially to those who are developmentally challenged. (And if you bring up the 1st Amendment, it does not apply here, legally.)

I see folks here trying to help. You can keep it or leave it. But you are being, at best, fussy,

Miel
03-04-2016, 22:54
There's always the NC area soup kitchens.

That would be a different kind of magic, and just as worthy although it doesn't seem to be what the OP wants.

dmax
03-05-2016, 00:19
This would be a lot easier to reply to the OP if the ATC could put up a sign up sheet for each gap. Then we'd know which ones are still available.

Traveler
03-05-2016, 07:58

Since you claimed to be a thru hiker last year, I would think out of anyone here you would have a pretty fair idea of several places you could position yourself to feed people or offer rides based on your own experience. I would presume you had a trail map/book from that thru that would still be pretty accurate and if you can't located a spot via the map your proximity to the trail would allow you to scout out some places to use.

It should not be hard, find a road crossing, most any would suffice for what you want to do if you don't know where you had problems getting a ride or a surprise meal would be nice to have. The issue as I see it is you may run into other "angels" who set up routinely at the same spot and may take issue if you are in "their place". You are on your own with that one. Try to set up a few yards away from that crossing so you don't interfere with those who are not interested in what you are doing, and do your thing. Be sure to clean up after yourself and those you are entertaining when done and leave no trace of your day and that should work fine.

Not sure why this is difficult, but that would be how I would do it were I inclined.

Lone Wolf
03-05-2016, 08:10
he didn't hike the AT

Lone Wolf
03-05-2016, 08:16
Self proclaiming yourself a trail angel is kind of pushy to me. To some people you will be a trail angel, to other people you'll be an annoyance cluttering the trail.

i'm a self proclaimed trail devil. me and Pirate were giving out beer at Cooper and Gooch gaps this past week. i won't feed 'em but i'll give 'em suds :cool:

egilbe
03-05-2016, 09:44
i'm a self proclaimed trail devil. me and Pirate were giving out beer at Cooper and Gooch gaps this past week. i won't feed 'em but i'll give 'em suds :cool:

My GF and I were hiking down from Bald Pate last year and we ran across two Nobos complaining about the trail magic at Graftons Notch. Their complaint? No soda, only beer in the cooler. :confused:

JumpMaster Blaster
03-05-2016, 12:56

I'm going to caveat my response with two points:
1- I'm a section hiker
2- I have never needed to hitch a ride

That being said, where I live, I mostly use Charlotte as a "jumping off point" for my section hikes. So my responses will be within a 3 hour radius of the Queen City. Before the "multiple thru-hike masters" come blasting my ideas because of #s 1 and 2 above, I will also caveat that at least I'm trying to answer his question. Overheadview, maybe look into these locations:

-Sam's Gap. The main reason Sam's Gap came to mind is that although Interstate 26 passes right over it, there's no exit there. I sat under the overpass for an hour taking a lunch break, and only saw two cars on the road (Old Asheville Hwy) that the AT crosses. Pros- there's a parking lot so you won't be in other people's way. A ride into Erwin without having to walk up to Spivey Gap would be appreciated. Cons-there's nowhere to camp, and you'll run into a lot of day hikers and clueless weekenders there.

-Spivey Gap (next road crossing NOBO from Sam's Gap). This will provide another ride into Erwin, and there's a pulloff with enough space for about 3 cars Pros- there's a good camping spot just SOBO of the road crossing. Also, I didn't have cell service (Verizon) at Spivey Gap, so when I had to bail out of a hike early, I remebered to call from High Rocks, 2 miles south. I'm sure a sign saying "hang out here, can provide shuttle to Erwin at 2pm" or whatever would be very well received. Also, there's Oglesby Branch just north that's a good water source for you.

-Garenflo Gap (between Max Patch and Hot Springs). A pretty desolate area in my opinion with a pull off for a few cars. Would offer a spot for a ride into HS.

-Allen Gap (north of Hot Springs. Would provide a ride into HS, and has a small tentsite nearby (but off trail). Might not be such a great place though since there's a tiny little store nearby (Mom's).

That's all I can come up with. You may want to look into the Bland, VA area as well, which would be a straight shot up Interstate 77, but I haven't hiked in that area so I'm not sure about the possibilities. Get AWOL's guide (and maybe Guthook's AT guide for your phone) and a map and go from there. Maybe, just maybe, someone familiar with that area can assist.

Congrats on your PCT thru, and good luck.

overheadview
03-07-2016, 14:57
Great, JumpMaster Blaster (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/53284-JumpMaster-Blaster) this is an awesome response, worth sifting through all of the others for.

I have an exploratory hiking trip this weekend, I'll hit at least one of these!

I'll let all you guys know if I trip over a trail angel every few feet or not ;)