PDA

View Full Version : Watch to Track Distance

Studlintsean
02-29-2016, 11:19
Not specifically backpacking related but I am hoping some of the runners here can assist. I am looking for a watch that my wife can use to track her distance and time for her local runs. I am hoping to not break the bank (~$200) but I want something with some quality. Does anyone have a suggestion or have a product that they would or would not recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Venchka
02-29-2016, 11:35
My phone does that. There are apps for that. Overlays your route on a map.

Sent from somewhere around here.

colorado_rob
02-29-2016, 11:36
One suggestion, the Garmin Foretrex 301 or 401. The 401 has a couple additional features, can't remember what, but both are pretty similar and close in price, about $170 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Foretrex-401-Waterproof-Hiking/dp/B002EOSQII/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456759858&sr=8-2&keywords=garmin+foretrex+301+gps

I have the 401, been using it for half a dozen years. pretty accurate GPS, as good as my big Garmin. Probably a bit dated though, certainly newer ones out there, but I'll keep using my 401 until its demise. One feature I like it that it uses two AAA batteries, rather than a USB charging system, so prevalent these days. I use it for multi-day trips, batteries good for about 16 hours.

Studlintsean
02-29-2016, 13:25
Thanks for the feedback. The Garmin is abit more than I am looking for. This would be strictly used for road running so I am not sure I need something that complex but I appreciate the information.

Venchka
02-29-2016, 13:50
A simple pedometer, once calibrated, records steps and distance.
But seriously, a modern phone has a GPS system equal to, or better than an entry level GPS equipped watch. Your wife probably carries her phone when she runs for piece of mind.

Wayne

Ankle Bone
02-29-2016, 14:01
Not specifically backpacking related but I am hoping some of the runners here can assist. I am looking for a watch that my wife can use to track her distance and time for her local runs. I am hoping to not break the bank (~$200) but I want something with some quality. Does anyone have a suggestion or have a product that they would or would not recommend?

Thank you in advance.

You can get a Garman for 120 - 150 at REI; just get the GPS and forget about the other extras. I use mine for trail runs and street runs, and it's great. Battery will last about 6 hours

nsherry61
02-29-2016, 14:02
+1 for the phone

Second choice would be a Garmin Forerunner, the most affordable being the Forerunner 15 or 25. I'm not a big fan of the other GPS watches out there because Garmin, in general, is just more consistent and reliable than pretty much anyone else. All of the watches have battery life issues because of battery size limitation of a wrist watch.

Studlintsean
02-29-2016, 14:10
A simple pedometer, once calibrated, records steps and distance.
But seriously, a modern phone has a GPS system equal to, or better than an entry level GPS equipped watch. Your wife probably carries her phone when she runs for piece of mind.

Wayne

I agree Wayne and she does sometimes carry her phone but likes the idea of having a watch with the information readily available. You and I are on the same page.

Studlintsean
02-29-2016, 14:11
+1 for the phone

Second choice would be a Garmin Forerunner, the most affordable being the Forerunner 15 or 25. I'm not a big fan of the other GPS watches out there because Garmin, in general, is just more consistent and reliable than pretty much anyone else. All of the watches have battery life issues because of battery size limitation of a wrist watch.

Thanks nsherry and Ankle Bone. I am probably going to purchase a Garmin from REI as they are running a spend $100 , get $20 special right now. I am hoping the period where the $20 must be sent aligns with the 20% off coupon as I plan on picking up some additional things while there.

nsherry61
02-29-2016, 14:22
. . . I am hoping the period where the $20 must be sent aligns with the 20% off coupon . . .
It won't happen that way. The $20 gift card "burn period" will be in the next week or two. The next 20% off coupon will probably come out with dividends, later in March, right after the gift card burn period is over.

jj dont play
02-29-2016, 14:23
I have a Goreman Forerunner 210 for running, been having it a few years and love it.
They don't make this model anymore but make similar models, you should be able to find one on ebay or somewhere online in your price range. The ones older then this one are great too but are like mini wrist weights haha

kimbur96
02-29-2016, 14:44
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/29861/Garmin-Forerunner-15-Series.html

This is all she needs. With an 8 hour burn time it can get her through even a slow marathon. I have bought several Garmins from the outlet refurbished and never had a problem with them. At $85 bucks it's a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Studlintsean
02-29-2016, 15:23
http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/29861/Garmin-Forerunner-15-Series.html

This is all she needs. With an 8 hour burn time it can get her through even a slow marathon. I have bought several Garmins from the outlet refurbished and never had a problem with them. At $85 bucks it's a good deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Kimbur.

Just to cirlce back (I know that was quick), I went with the Garmin Forerunner 25 for various reasons (phone connectivity, size, place of purchase available, and color availability). Here is a review of the 15 vs 25.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/garmin-forerunner-25.html

If anyone is interested, I can provide some initial thoughts on it when she gets it this weekend.

Venchka
02-29-2016, 21:09
A good plan. Your wife should be happy.

Wayne

BrianLe
03-01-2016, 12:14
My fitbit does an okay job of measuring distance from running/walking. Doesn't use a GPS to calculate, perhaps it depends on what level of accuracy you're looking for.
These devices typically do more --- and potentially "cost" more --- than just dollars spent and use for one purpose (running in your case). Mine tracks elevation gain/loss, which I like, estimates calories burned, in general tries to create a sort of infrastructure where more can be monitored as a result. Knowing whether, and what else might be desirable is helpful --- which is why for me this would be a tricky gift purchase.
By "cost" I mean things like: I lost a fitbit that was clipped to my waist when I forgot it was there and put on a backpack with a waistbelt; the interaction caused it to fall off at some point. Similarly, my wife ran hers through the laundry because it was in a sort of hidden pocket. Thus I replaced mine with one worn on the wrist. Tried to learn to like it, but I've always hated wearing any sort of jewelry --- ring, watch, whatever, and so ultimately passed it to my wife, and got another of the ones that are worn on clothing. This also, IMO, makes it tricky to buy something like this as a gift. For example, my wife overall likes the unisex wrist-mounted fitbit, except that she thinks the buckle is a little large and ugly.

Best of luck with whatever you get!

Offshore
03-01-2016, 14:17
Two places to look at reviews are dcrainmaker and rizknows. Just Google on each and you'll find a wealth of information, reviews, and comparisons.

Studlintsean
03-01-2016, 14:21
Thanks BrianLe and Offshore. I purchased the Garmin Forerunner 25 yesterday after discovering dcrainmaker.