PDA

View Full Version : Wanna be trail angels....

The Chief
02-29-2016, 15:39
Good day all!

I am planning on taking my Trail Life USA Troop (think Christian scouting) out to the A.T. to be trail angels for the weekend of 3/18-20. I have boys from 6-14 that will be going on the trip. Hoping to pack in for a little ways (a mile?) and then set up camp along the trail and hand out goodies to the folks heading north. Looking for advice as to where in NC I could reasonably accomplish this logistical feat. Thoughts?

Thanks!

rocketsocks
02-29-2016, 15:52
Why perpetuate with the young and impressionable future leaders that a "hand out" is a good thing, when there are so many that could use a hand up. I just don't get.

chknfngrs
02-29-2016, 15:58
Massie Gap, up to Thomas Knob. Don't worry about Rockrsox

The Chief
02-29-2016, 16:02
Looking for those in AWOL's guide....not popping out. Nearest city? And I'm not worried about Rocketsocks....

The Chief
02-29-2016, 16:14
Found it....think we have a good shot of seeing hikers in mid march that far along?

egilbe
02-29-2016, 16:14
Good age to be putting them to work doing trail maintenance. Cutting brush, moving tree limbs, cleaning out wter bars, cleaning up around shelters...stuff like that.

Abatis1948
02-29-2016, 16:20
Found it....think we have a good shot of seeing hikers in mid march that far along?

I think you are a little far north to catch many. Try anywhere between Woody Gap, Georgia and just south of the GSMP. Just my thoughts.

The Chief
02-29-2016, 16:20
We will certainly do that as well. Have any suggestions for where to get them up on the trail?

The Chief
02-29-2016, 16:22
Thank you! Hoping to see as many as possible.

chknfngrs
02-29-2016, 17:04
You said NC, I'm not even sure if Thomas knob is in NC, call that gross inattentions to detail... Have fun!

squeezebox
02-29-2016, 17:19
Count me in for trail maintenance rather than free food. The Good Samaritan 1st got the guy into town, fixed his wounds/physical needs, before he feed the person. I think Jesus would have a shovel in his hand, before he fed people that already are carrying too much food.

DuneElliot
02-29-2016, 17:40
While I have no issues with trail magic/angels in general, it seems to me that with a group of scout-type kids with a religious perspective it might be better to show them how much work goes into taking care of the mountain trails, parks, forests etc. At the same time this would help show them that we are stewards of the wild world God gave us and how to respect it and love it, while teaching LNT. Sure, bring cookies and some sodas to hand out to hikers that may come along, but in this instance I think the focus would be better on stewardship.

chknfngrs
02-29-2016, 17:47
Let the dude take the dudes and provide magic already

The Chief
02-29-2016, 17:54
We are going to do both. Most of my kids are between 6-9 so there won't be a lot of sawing and chopping. They will be limited in what they can do.

jbbweeks
02-29-2016, 21:19
Unbelievable to me that anyone would criticize someone attempting to introduce kids to the trail - in any situation - wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
02-29-2016, 23:42
You will never convince me that trail feeds are
1. True Trail Magic
2. Anything other than self serving if your honest about it.
3. Nessasary for someone who is spending thousands of dollars to walk to Maine and are needing.

campingfever
03-01-2016, 05:56
It's a great thing to do with the youth. My wife and I have handed out drinks, food and treats many times, and the best part is getting to meet and spend some time talking with folks from all over the world. A very enjoyable thing to do. They will love it and so will the hikers!

MuddyWaters
03-01-2016, 06:52
Feeding hikers has no moral or community service value
These are people on vacation, with money
They arent doing anything honorable
Many are just partying
Go do something good for people that need it if you want to teach kids something worthwhile.

Or hey, go hand out snacks at spring break in Daytona. Its the same thing. Thats basically what you are doing. The more free food they get, the more of their own money gets spent on beer, cigarettes, dope.

Will they appreciate it? Of course. Theyd be stupid not to.

Exactly what are attempting to teach kids by this act?

Church groups , when they do it, hope to make a connection with people that need guidance in their life, and let them see the kind of people that belong to churches so that those never exposed might consider it. They dont do it because feeding hikers is charitable.

Ex thru hikers do it because they had a good time, miss all the fun and cameraderie and want to reminisce with current hikers.

Aspiring hikers or some section hikers do it because they want to interact with real thru hikers and feel a connection to the trail and those others hiking experiences.

Whats the scouts reason?

Hikers do actually need help sometimes. A ride to town or dr. If injured well away from a town. Real magic and kindness. They dont need food. Quite frankly, the free food contributes to the problems the trail is experiencing with overcrowding, entitlement attitudes, and bad hiker behaviors by attracting partiers. Tnis is why many that care are against it, and suggest to do something thats good for the trail instead, as opposed to something thats bad for it.

BonBon
03-01-2016, 08:12
I love the idea of incorporating a little trail maintenance-something like picking up trash is easy enough. I like the suggestion above about helping the kids understand that we are stewards of our beautiful earth. If I had come across a group like yours while I hiked I would have loved it. Trail magic is nice, but meeting kids who are excited about the adventure of it all is even better. Since my thru, I have been incorporating hiking into my art classes -I'm taking kids on a mile out and back- we paint the beautiful view at the pond. Self serving (I get to walk) and teaching-Nothing makes an impression on kids as much as being there, feeling a part of.
Oh, and a coke and candy bar is always nice. Go for it!

Offshore
03-01-2016, 08:28
Why perpetuate with the young and impressionable future leaders that a "hand out" is a good thing, when there are so many that could use a hand up. I just don't get.

Exactly - go help at a food bank or a Habitat for Humanity. If you want to give hand outs to vacationers, go to a Six Flags so you can go on the rides when done.

Tuckahoe
03-01-2016, 08:47

Exactly - go help at a food bank or a Habitat for Humanity. If you want to give hand outs to vacationers, go to a Six Flags so you can go on the rides when done.

We are going to do both. Most of my kids are between 6-9 so there won't be a lot of sawing and chopping. They will be limited in what they can do.

Because maybe these are 6-9 year olds? Foodbanks, soup kitchens and construction sites are not going to be appropriate work sites for children of this age.

Water Rat
03-01-2016, 10:17
Good day all!

I am planning on taking my Trail Life USA Troop (think Christian scouting) out to the A.T. to be trail angels for the weekend of 3/18-20. I have boys from 6-14 that will be going on the trip. Hoping to pack in for a little ways (a mile?) and then set up camp along the trail and hand out goodies to the folks heading north. Looking for advice as to where in NC I could reasonably accomplish this logistical feat. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have a suggestion that might work well for all involved... If you are going to take the kids to hand things out to the hikers, perhaps packets containing blister prevention items (moleskin squares, tape, foot powder, etc), first aid items, and toothbrushes might be a good lesson for the kids and helpful to the hikers. I mean, along with a few snacks.

There are many who will be handing out food, but this teaches the kids the importance of foot care on the trail (if the feet aren't happy, you aren't making it to Maine), won't cause bottlenecks on the trail, and many hikers will be touched by act. I guarantee this will stand out in the memories of the tru-hikers far more than yet another burger.

chknfngrs
03-01-2016, 10:21
Water Rat FTW yall

DuneElliot
03-01-2016, 10:34
I have a suggestion that might work well for all involved... If you are going to take the kids to hand things out to the hikers, perhaps packets containing blister prevention items (moleskin squares, tape, foot powder, etc), first aid items, and toothbrushes might be a good lesson for the kids and helpful to the hikers. I mean, along with a few snacks.

There are many who will be handing out food, but this teaches the kids the importance of foot care on the trail (if the feet aren't happy, you aren't making it to Maine), won't cause bottlenecks on the trail, and many hikers will be touched by act. I guarantee this will stand out in the memories of the tru-hikers far more than yet another burger.

I like this too

Offshore
03-01-2016, 11:00
Because maybe these are 6-9 year olds? Foodbanks, soup kitchens and construction sites are not going to be appropriate work sites for children of this age.

Kids can easily and appropriately help out by dishing out food or planting flowers or painting a fence in the HFH house site. (My company sponsors service days where employees do exactly this - and a lot of kids participate.) None of these activities are no more inappropriate than running a trail party. If the goal is to instill a sense of service, then volunteering with community service organization that serve those that are truly in need are probably more appropriate than feeding hikers that are have resources, are on the AT by choice, and whose food insecurity can be solved by hitching a ride into town.

Puddlefish
03-01-2016, 11:00

This. I get the impression that some people believe that hikers are a friendly and safe version of the homeless and delude themselves into thinking that they're helping out needy people.

I'd also suggest bringing the kids to some sort of food bank. My daughter volunteered here (http://www.gbfb.org/how-to-help/volunteer.php) during her school days. Years later she still visits every time she's in town to check up on fellow volunteers/recipients whom she's developed a family-type relationship with. Yes, they encourage groups, and it's perfectly safe.

Want to take them on a hike, take them on a hike and teach them about Leave No Trace principles, about respecting other people enjoying the solitude of the trail, and behaving quietly and respectfully in a shelter/campground where tired people just want to sleep. Leave the area cleaner than how you found it. I went on a canoe trip around Squam Lake in the 70s as a Cub Scout, we learned all of these things. We didn't hand out cookies to the rich locals on vacation, that would have been pretty weird.

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 11:14
Clean up a shelter area, inc the privy if you want to be true angels. The kids will learn more about being stewards by cleaning up this earth of ours. than they will by handing out food to hikers. Feed the homeless.

jbbweeks
03-01-2016, 11:31
And now we have competing ideologies trying to control the trail - The trail is my escape - it's a tough, diverse & at times exasperating place, but I have always loved it for those very reasons - hyok & let others do the same.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 11:38
Im not any help as far where for them to be able to pass out goodies... but one thing I do think would be great to add is, as sad as it is SO MANY people that hike the trail or try to hike the trail have no care or clue as to leave no trace. The trail gets trashed at all the campsites close to the shelters it would be great if they could do some clean up they would learn a great lesson and do a good deed.

full conditions
03-01-2016, 11:48
Or rub suntan lotion onto the backs of beach goers in Fort Lauderdale.

Puddlefish
03-01-2016, 11:52
And now we have competing ideologies trying to control the trail - The trail is my escape - it's a tough, diverse & at times exasperating place, but I have always loved it for those very reasons - hyok & let others do the same.

Once I start on the trail on April 7th, I fully intend to just turn off the electronics and hike. I won't be posting on WB, I doubt I'll even be reading it. I'm not going to nag anyone on the trail, or otherwise preach to them about how I wish the trail was. I'll just be doing my very best to keep on moving past annoyances and keeping my meditative hiking state of mind.

Puddlefish
03-01-2016, 11:53
Or rub suntan lotion onto the backs of beach goers in Fort Lauderdale.

That would be helpful, I always get that little burn triangle on my back!

Roamin
03-01-2016, 12:21

I think what you are doing is great. While I can understand the concerns other mention regarding the advantages of trail maintenance, IMHO, the youth are doing what they can. Any time we can get youth on the trail we should.

chknfngrs
03-01-2016, 13:00
Ok! No sodas snacks or treats for Puddlefishs thru.

Puddlefish
03-01-2016, 13:03

Thanks! I'll wear my "Grumpy Hermit" name badge, so no one need waste their time offering.

The Kisco Kid
03-01-2016, 13:04
The Trail Life USA Troops according to Wikipedia:was founded in 2013 in reaction to changes in the membership policy of the Boy Scouts of America to allow the participation of openly gay youth.

These scouts will no doubt meet and be exposed to a wide variety of people on the A.T., some of whom are likely to be gay. Maybe exposing them to other cultures will help them reject the bigotry your group promotes. For this reason, I applaud your efforts.

-An Eagle Scout, Boy Scout of America

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 13:47

Well! chicken's don't have fingers. So there!!

squeezebox
03-01-2016, 13:59
The Trail Life USA Troops according to Wikipedia:was founded in 2013 in reaction to changes in the membership policy of the Boy Scouts of America to allow the participation of openly gay youth.

These scouts will no doubt meet and be exposed to a wide variety of people on the A.T., some of whom are likely to be gay. Maybe exposing them to other cultures will help them reject the bigotry your group promotes. For this reason, I applaud your efforts.

-An Eagle Scout, Boy Scout of America

+1 Marcovee
Raises a big question for me. Should we tolerate the intolerance of groups like this?? Unless they physically harm others??

What a shame to have an organization that teaches bigotry to children.
And somehow they call themselves christian???
I feel sorry for them and their souls.

full conditions
03-01-2016, 14:12
+1 Marcovee
Raises a big question for me. Should we tolerate the intolerance of groups like this?? Unless they physically harm others??

It occurs to me that the OP may have been a troll - combining "trail magic" with religion - mmmmm.... makes me more than a little suspicious.

Offshore
03-01-2016, 14:15
+1 Marcovee

Its OK - handing out a few burgers and sodas to some hikers gets you a bigotry pass.

rocketsocks
03-01-2016, 15:00

-An Eagle Scout, Boy Scout of AmericaI hear good things about the bus station too.

Tuckahoe
03-01-2016, 15:24
+1 Marcovee

Oh I love the irony of one intolerant individual judging another's intolerance b

DuneElliot
03-01-2016, 15:47
Oh I love the irony of one intolerant individual judging another's intolerance b

You beat me to it.

Offshore
03-01-2016, 15:48

I love a false equivalency even more.

MuddyWaters
03-01-2016, 16:55
Most people are bigots. They just wont admit it. Everyone has groups they dont like, blacks, whites, italians, gays, mexicans, jews, muslims, puerto ricans, lawyers, etc. Birds of a feather flock together.

Nothing wrong with it...per se...as long as you dont discriminate. I know plenty of people that dont like X, but have X friends, because those X showed they didnt match the presumed stereotype.

When you start espousing what people are allowed to THINK, you are wrong.

Heather1027
03-01-2016, 17:04
Sorry, I haven't read the previous pages but just want to put some of my input to the OP.

Where at in NC? Overmountain Shelter is I believe on the TN/NC line or very close to it. There's an area you can park at and walk to the shelter (you honestly can't miss it). I know alot of hikers camp here, maybe your crew can do some trail angel magic here? Here's a blog post (not mine) that has driving directions and other info on it. :)

http://appalachiantreks.blogspot.com/2014/07/the-overmountain-shelter.html

TiHiker
03-01-2016, 17:12
Actually...Jesus might suggest that any act of kindness is appropriate.

brendathompson71
03-01-2016, 17:13
I am a little shocked by the response of some of these people :( ...... like i said i think its a great idea and it kind of goes along with what the thought was when the trail was being planed. (another thing that would be helpful is asking if anyone had trash they would like you to take. (i am always passing on trash to people that are heading off the trail, its extra weight that most would LOVE to be able to pass off)
and YEARS ago a lot of people did those types of things, (passing out food) some still do but not as many, personally I would love to get a little something (just as a encouragement )

turtle fast
03-06-2016, 21:37
As I have no dog in this fight, I'll throw two pennies into the hat.
First, we must see this as an introduction for 6-9 year olds to something that is meant to be inspiring. To them hiking 2100+ miles is like building a rocket ship of garbage cans to go to the moon. ...if they wish to do trail magic, and pick up litter than so be it....it's a free country (hopefully). You have to remember, they are giving to receive something back on stories, life lessons, ...who knows what a kid would ask (maybe like why we smell like cat pee?).
Second, exposing kids to things outside rather than playing video games or other forms of inactivity should be commended.
Thirdly, if they wished to do social volunteering in a humanitarian capacity, I'm sure they can do that another time or quite possibly have done that already.
Now you can donate the 2 cents from the hat to a humanitarian cause.

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:17
Good day all!

Thanks!

What does being Christian have to do with this? Was it necessary to mention it? If so, why?

Oh, that makes you a better trail angel than anyone else.

::praying for a new president and a SCOTUS nominee who is as secular as possible::

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:23
We will certainly do that as well. Have any suggestions for where to get them up on the trail?

Don't forget all the literature and evangelizing along the trail.

(And yes, I was baptized. But I honestly don't see your point about mentioning that it's a Christian scouting troop. Unless there are religious reasons why you couldn't do certain things on certain days.)

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:24
You said NC, I'm not even sure if Thomas knob is in NC, call that gross inattentions to detail... Have fun!

In Virginia, the shelter is.

Lone Wolf
03-07-2016, 10:28
What does being Christian have to do with this? Was it necessary to mention it? If so, why?

Oh, that makes you a better trail angel than anyone else.

::praying for a new president and a SCOTUS nominee who is as secular as possible::

Don't forget all the literature and evangelizing along the trail.

(And yes, I was baptized. But I honestly don't see your point about mentioning that it's a Christian scouting troop. Unless there are religious reasons why you couldn't do certain things on certain days.)

he was just pointing out what a Trail Life USA Troop was about. lighten up

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:31
This. I get the impression that some people believe that hikers are a friendly and safe version of the homeless and delude themselves into thinking that they're helping out needy people.

What makes you think the homeless are unsafe? No more and no less than the general population that has housing. I see a lot of flaming of the homeless on the boards - along with the use of the word "retarded" - how unkind and lacking in sympathy. One woman in the womans forum wants to keep her hair dyed on the trail so that she doesn't look "homeless."

I do much volunteering with the homeless. Many of better people than the general population.

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:37
+1 Marcovee

The best antidote for bigotry is sunlight.

So the OP should go in peace, be a trail angel - but LNT; no evangelizing. I think clean-ups are great. I live near the beach and when I walk it 3 -4 x a week I am always picking up plastic and metals. I leave the cans and bottles for those who need to redeem them, well away from the beach.

If the children can't carry everything they find out, what are folks' suggestions for prioritizing what they can carry? I say anything that is a particular harm to wildlife (just as plastic bags on the beach are a particular harm to sea mammals and birds). What sort of harm? What particular items.

Kudos for the OP for bringing the children out into nature, although I still don't know why s/he had to cite what kind of troop.

Miel
03-07-2016, 10:39
It occurs to me that the OP may have been a troll - combining "trail magic" with religion - mmmmm.... makes me more than a little suspicious.

I don't think the OP is a troll, and here's why. Evangelicals love to throw in the faces of others how much better they are than others. So his group will be better trail angels than the nice Jewish girl or sweet Catholic boy who comes along to help.

Puddlefish
03-07-2016, 11:07
What makes you think the homeless are unsafe? No more and no less than the general population that has housing. I see a lot of flaming of the homeless on the boards - along with the use of the word "retarded" - how unkind and lacking in sympathy. One woman in the womans forum wants to keep her hair dyed on the trail so that she doesn't look "homeless."

I do much volunteering with the homeless. Many of better people than the general population.

I can't speak to any of your examples, since I didn't make them. I'll just flat out disagree with your "no more or no less than the general population that has housing" statement. It's generally accepted that some 33% of the homeless have schizophrenia, compared to 1% of the general population. Then consider the lack of treatment for that percentage in a homeless situation.

I don't like to use the word sympathy, since it has two definitions, one of which is fairly insulting. I'll suggest the word empathy instead. Pretending that the homeless are all paragons of virtue isn't helpful, it isn't kind. They're people and deserve to be treated as individuals with individual concerns. That said, discussing the homeless as a group is still valid in conversations; as a group, the homeless are indeed less safe than the general population. In my context, it was about exposing children to the homeless in a responsible, supervised and controlled manner. I even gave an example of how one could do so.

I also volunteer. Frankly, the people who will make the effort to show up and be helped are the cream of the crop. At that moment they can be a bit more sober, a bit more in control, a bit more likely to behave. The ones who get aggressive after dark, clawing for survival among the alleyways, in the poor sections of the city are at the other extreme. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Traveler
03-08-2016, 08:43
I'm really glad I've not asked about a good place to take my Coven of Scouts (think Cannibals for Satan) on the AT......

illabelle
03-08-2016, 10:20

+1 Thank you!

LIhikers
03-08-2016, 11:31

You already said what I was thinking, so no sense saying it again.
+2 on that thought

jbbweeks
03-10-2016, 21:01
Wow what a group of posts - I'm glad I didn't post that Christian Republican was an oxymoron - I couldn't have taken the heat!

One Half
03-11-2016, 01:31

I'm wondering how many hikers would find a first aid station helpful? Might be more helpful than handing out junk food? Interesting question.

attroll
03-11-2016, 21:21
This thread has served it purpose and has turned into a bunch of bickering, sorry.