PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start my weird Flip Flop on April 1st?

Strummystick
02-29-2016, 21:28
What would you suggest in this scenario? I have these times available ..... [April 1st - May 20] [July 1st with no ending time] (Family weddings from Mem Day until end of June) I enjoy hiker companionship but really hate bugs, since I've seen too many of them in the past when I could only hike in New England during the summer. I also don't want to freeze! I am now a retired teacher, so there is no end game in the Fall. (62 years old ... in reasonably good shape)
I have already hiked all of the AT in MA/VT/NH, so I will probably want to save this until last. That way I will have section hiked the entire trail, even if I wish to stop at that time.
I've been thinking of this ...... Start North from Damascus on April 1st and get as far as I can by May 20th Go home to CT for Mem Day to the end of June. Start at Katahdin on July1st and hike Maine south to the NH border. Hop down to CT and continue south until I meet up with where I left off when i was going North. Hop down to Damascus and head South, finishing a sectioning of the trail at Springer. Go home to CT for a quick visit, then head South from the NH/ME border to the MA/CT border if I want to finish a true thru-hike.

colorado_rob
02-29-2016, 21:56
I have to say your plan sounds pretty good to me. The only downside is all the shuttling around. You'll have some potential for chilly weather heading through grayson in early april, but should be warmer after that in the lower VA terrain.

Strummystick
02-29-2016, 22:03
Any ideas on how I should get to Damascus from CT?

gwb
03-01-2016, 11:19
Ah, long shuttles a necessary evil of section hiking. There is a Greyhound stop in Bristol TN about 45 miles away. Look at the ATC shuttle list and call around to get an idea on price to get from Bristol to Damascus.
Have fun!! I think your plan sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigcranky
03-01-2016, 12:36
That plan sounds good - when I saw the thread title, I was thinking Damascus was a good place to start on April 1.

Fly to Tri Cities Airport and have Lone Wolf pick you up.

Strummystick
03-06-2016, 10:43
Just for everybody's information . As of now the plan is to take an overnight Greyhound bus to Marion VA from Hartford CT ($77), stay overnight at a local motel within walking distance with Breakfast ($49), Take the local Transit Bus ($.50) [276.782-9300] to where the AT crosses Rte 11 beyond Atkins VA (in Groseclose) and hike North through VA and beyond, from April 1st until May 19th, when I'll get picked up by my wife (and my suit) on her way to a family wedding in Alexandria VA. The AT at Rte 11 is just North of the Grayson Highlands, so I won't start at high altitudes and things should be warmer. My theory is that someday in the future (maybe even early this Fall?), I may take the trip down to Marion again and join the trail in the same spot ..... hiking south through the higher elevations down to the Southern terminus in Georgia, when the Grayson Highlands, The Smokies, and beyond will be warmer and less rainy.
Any thoughts about this plan? Many thanks to all for the info above!