PDA

View Full Version : Palmerton "jail" hostel

Viper2016
02-29-2016, 21:43
I think I noticed a comment that Palmerton closed their "hostel." I checked both Companion and AWOL. Neither makes reference this year and I don't have access to previous year's editions. Does anyone have current information?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

egilbe
02-29-2016, 21:47
Yeah. They are closed. Too much partying. Google is your friend.

Rain Man
03-02-2016, 13:19
A handy hack on Google and Duckduckgo and maybe others is this form of searching on a particular site:
"site:whiteblaze.net palmerton closed" (without the quote marks, of course).

It yielded several results, including these two--

Jail House Hostel in Palmerton, PA. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/110413-Jail-House-Hostel-in-Palmerton-PA)

The Jail House in Palmerton...closed. (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/112763-The-Jail-House-in-Palmerton-closed)

Viper2016
03-03-2016, 09:08
Thanks. I found them. Wasn't trying to be lazy, just been spending many hours with preparation, food, gear, me. Sort of took other "stuff" for granted. Bad mental start. I will refocus; I'm not entitled, rather I will be grateful, thankful, and compassionate. And I will do my own diligent research before opting for an easy way out

Rain Man
03-03-2016, 11:11
Thanks. I found them. Wasn't trying to be lazy, just been spending many hours with preparation, food, gear, me.

Well, part of the reason Whiteblaze.net is here is to help each other out. Until someone told me about the "site:[URL]" hack, sometimes it was hard for me to find such stuff on the site. Just pay it forward some day and all karma will be restored. ~wink~ I'm not sure anyone was chastising you anyway.

BTW, when I hiked through PA, I stayed at the Palmerton "jail" hostel. Am so glad I got that experience and others at places that later closed for whatever reason. Lots of that stuff off the footpath enriches the AT experience. I appreciate good hikers, meaning good folks who treat the trail and all such peripheral stuff with respect for them and for those who follow.

Have a great hike!

WingedMonkey
03-03-2016, 11:43
Yeah. They are closed. Too much partying. Google is your friend.

There may be enough evidence to assume that is the reason they closed.

However, I don't believe that the town has ever given that reason.

Jack Tarlin
03-03-2016, 22:02
There are perhaps half a dozen facilities/cites/locations that will be reconsidering their hiker friendliness this year......and there are probably several that won't be open at all. The skillethead factor was pretty fierce in 2015, and I don't see things improving much anytime soon.

Starchild
03-03-2016, 23:19
There may be enough evidence to assume that is the reason they closed.

However, I don't believe that the town has ever given that reason.

They did, they stated as was security concerns. Thru hikers were given unsupervised access to the building which contained many town records. It is as I see it a testament to the good behavior that thru hikers were allowed to be their for so many years unsupervised with such a increase in security we have seen all over.

They also stated it was not bad hiker behavior.

I did post the link in a previous thread on this, no I don't have time to find it.

firesign
03-04-2016, 10:09
I think I noticed a comment that Palmerton closed their "hostel." I checked both Companion and AWOL. Neither makes reference this year and I don't have access to previous year's editions. Does anyone have current information?

I thought that it was closed because of the smell. When I was there in 2014 the basement smelled like John Wayne Gacey's!

ekeverette
03-04-2016, 17:34
what is the skillethead factor?

Jack Tarlin
03-04-2016, 17:46
To answer Ekeverette, the skillethead factor is when hikers act in such a manner that it immediately causes problems in the hiking community, frequently leading to places and facilities changing their policies and prices; no longer wishing to welcome or accommodate hikers; no longer offering "hiker discounts"; or in some cases, actually closing their doors to hikers and barring them from their property or businesses. The other skilletheads are the ones who witness this stuff but refuse to step up and try and do anything about it.

rocketsocks
03-04-2016, 18:00
This is your brain on drugs