PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a shakedown!

garebear22
03-01-2016, 00:29
https://lighterpack.com/r/5z0qt3

Doing a thru-hike of the AT about a year from now. I have my gear planned out so I can acquire the pieces over the next year.

Are there any ways I can cut weight? I think everything I have here is pretty essential, but I am by no means an expert.

Thanks,
Garrett

peterboysen
03-01-2016, 16:29
If you really want to save about 5oz, you could get a deuce of spades or similar for a trowel (or leave it behind completely and use a stick). Also, depending on how much you like your jetboil, you could also get a BRS-3000T or similar on Amazon or ebay for about $15, and that would cut an appreciable amount of weight for very little cost (the stove I mentioned is just under an ounce, though of course you'll need to count cookpot weight and all that as well then so it's not such a huge weight savings that you'll really feel it for the most part).

rainydaykid
03-05-2016, 00:31
I got my base pack weight down to 10.5 lbs, I've had to sacrifice a few things to get there. No camp clothing, less cold weather gear, no cook system(have a small ti pot for emergency water boiling, or to cook if I feel like making a fire). I do use a 20 degree synthetic bag, got screwed by down a couple of times, so I won't use a down bag anymore. It's still light for synthetic, 2lb,11oz. Otherwise, almost all my gear is ultralight, zpacks arc haul, homemade tarptent from a silnylon tarp, zpacks rain jacket, GG nightlite pad. I do carry a fixed blade knife, Folt's Minimalist, that or a Mora is the lightest I'd want to carry into the woods, but I have a lot of wilderness survival skills, and know the value of having a fixed blade knife. The minimalist is an ounce or so, and the smallest knife I'd want to try to carry into the woods.

I do carry a small firesteel and a few pieces of synthetic tinder as well, for emergencies. I don't carry a first aid kit at all. They are too small for big stuff, and anything small can be treated without one. I do have medical training though.

Dump the multitool, and get a Sawyer mini for your filter, you also don't need the matches, a firesteel is better, keep your bag dry, don't need the emergency bivvy. Don't need a compass on the AT. I use a Nalgene 96 oz canteen for water, 3oz.

I use a snow stake for my trowel, and it is my main ridgeline stake as well.

Still, that is the lightest my pack has ever been, looking forward to my thru in 2016, my 2010 thru my pack was 27lbs with food and water, and it wasn't bad. Should be 20 lbs fully loaded this time out.

poolskaterx
03-11-2016, 15:02
Easiest place I can see to shave weight here without losing comfort is ditch the camel back bladder and get an equal size platypus. You will be surprised how heavy the camel back bladders are.

If I nitpick I could say the Multitool seems like a bit much but I understand it if that is what you are comfortable with (i use the keychain swiss army knife), the 8 ground hog stakes could be shaved to 1 or 2 and the rest in carbon. I bet these changes would not affect your comfort at all and shave 1/2lb.

Coffee press..? I would hike with you any day my friend:)

Zpacks reversable drybag/pillow would work as double duty and shave a little more, lol!

Puddlefish
03-11-2016, 15:15
Leatherman Style CS is a better multitool choice. More functional scissors, a nail file. 1.43 oz. Replaces heavy toenail clippers and nail file.